The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog starts fights with other dogs

Alchiepoo135

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm going to start with a few facts, he's a blue Staffordshire x pitbull. He's 16 months, he's so lovely, gentle, amazing with the children. But the problem occurs when he is taken out.

See, it varies, I can take him to the woods, without a lead, he's perfectly fine, stays near me, isn't fussed by other dogs. But I have had a few occasions, like just now, that he starts growing and gets in a ruck with another dog. I don't understand why, he's not aggressive. It may be because he's too eager to sniff and it annoys the other dog, or wether it's him starting it.

Has anyone got any advice for me? Thank you in advance.

Hi,.im sorry i have no advice as such other than if he is getting into fights randomly and you dont know what the trigger is then he must be kept on a lead im afraid or you could land yourself and your dog in hot water. Under the new dangerous dog law its against the law for your dog to be out of control in a public place ..this includes him getting into scraps and if someone reported you , you could end up with a huge fine and losing your dog :(

Has your dog been neutered? I would advise getting help for your dog before it gets worse, stay away from trainers who talk about being alpha and dominant , maybe if you put your area we could help you find a trainer?..Staffies are wonderful little dogs, i have a staffie x..they are known for being wonderful friendly family dogs that love playing and love children. They are clever and easy to train because they just want to please you, but one of the problems is they have sometimes been bred to be wonderful with humans and aggressive to dogs. Back yard breeding for all the wrong reasons ensured only the most 'game' were bred or very poor quality dogs were bred just to make money, not always ensuring well adjusted dogs.Of course they are not all aggressive to other dogs, mine isnt and i know plenty of people with dog friendly staffies and pit bulls ,but they do need good socializing from a young age. I have a young GSD x that was randomly fighting with dogs, after getting help it became clear she was actually afraid. She had been heand reared and didnt understand calming signals that other dogs give off so she either went into playmode to try and show them she wasnt scary or fight mode..if she felt afraid she got in there first. We are making huge progress with our trainer and its the best thing we ever did.of course this may not be the problem with your boy so its best to get help before it gets worse..in the meantime please dont put your dog at risk or other dogs at risk by letting him off the lead x

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice Raven I have to second what you said Staffies are amazing fun loving intelligent and gentle dogs even more so when raised and trained properly.

As for the original post I again agree there is obviously a trigger with some dogs that he meets that in turn trigger him to react that way.

If you are unsure what the cause is then I agree getting some professional input may well help. They should be able to pick up on subtle body language changes etc that will provide you with an answer. Hope u manage to get it sorted x

Back