The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog Sleeping / Dreaming

dogsdinner

Registered
Reaction score
I rescued a dog around 8 months ago ... Shes really great and very well behaved ....

At first I made her sleep downstairs, but she really paniced that she was going to be left and would not settle, so I decided to just let her sleep in her basket in our bedroom, this helped a bit, but she kept having what seemed to be nightmares, crying and barking in her sleep and waking up in a terrible state

This week has been really bad, last night she woke up terrified, got into my bed shaking and would not leave. I eventually calmed her down.

She is a lovely dog and shows no signs of any of this in the day, really playful with us and other dogs, in fact she seems the happiest dog i've ever met, we treat her really well and do not leave her for anymore than a hour here or there.

I just cant work it out, i know i sounds daft, but maybe this is something from her past that is affecting her sleep?

Any help would be greatful :)

My whippet does a lot of crying/barking/whining/twitching/woofing in his sleep; I've heard of quite a lot who do.

I've not heard of them becoming distressed and shaking though, that must be horrible :(

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to wish you the best for your girl settling down.

My whippet does a lot of crying/barking/whining/twitching/woofing in his sleep; I've heard of quite a lot who do.I've not heard of them becoming distressed and shaking though, that must be horrible :(

I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, but just wanted to wish you the best for your girl settling down.
Yes, I agree, many dogs do, its funny when their little paws quibble as if they are dreaming of a nice walk!

... Its what is frightening her that worries me tho :(

My whippet does a lot of crying/barking/whining/twitching/woofing in his sleep; I've heard of quite a lot who do.I've not heard of them becoming distressed and shaking though, that must be horrible :(

Yes, I agree, many dogs do, its funny when their little paws quibble as if they are dreaming of a nice walk!

... Its what is frightening her that worries me tho :(
I think the longer she is with you and the more happy and settled she feels, the less she'll dream like this. as long as it is not cramp or another physical pain that is bothering her, just love her...but don't make a mountain out of it otherwise she'll think there is more to be worried about...these rescues and rehomes have a background we'll never know, and just comes out at times we least expect it

Back