The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog refuses to walk, puts on the brakes

Flo McDougle

Registered
Reaction score
We rescued a dog from the pound and we knew that he occasionally put the brakes on whilst out walking. He is a nervous dog and needs the reassurance whilst walking that it was safe to go forward, treats always helped. We spend time with him at the pound and we thought he'd get over it. When we're out walking in a group with or without other dogs he is fine, but when he is out walking one on one he is constantly putting the brakes on. It appears to be getting worse and more frequently and we cannot figure out a positive way to get him to overcome this fear.

We do not pull him when he does this, we take our time, reassure him and eventually he moves forward an inch. Its a very slow process. We've tried keeping to the same route so that he knows the route is safe, but this morning he was worse than ever, he just wanted to go home.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes :(

I have a collie that does just this because of noise sensitivity. My advice is to see a suitable behaviourist, one that only uses positive reinforcement.

My boy's fears are particularly severe - we didn't seek help initially, having never dealt with anything like this with any of our previous dogs, we hoped it would somehow "get better". It didn't, not without expert help. And the longer you wait before getting help, the worse it will get (as you seem to be discovering already) and the harder to treat. If your dog is too scared to walk, don't try to coerce him, stop walking him until you've had expert guidance. Until then, play with him at home, buy some doggy brain games to work his mind and tire him out. Help him to feel "safe" by not forcing him to do anything he's telling you he can't cope with.

What breed is he? How old? Is he happy to be in your garden or does that worry him too? (my boy just didn't want to outside fullstop, which frequently made it very difficult to get him to go the toilet). Does he show fear of certain noises or anything else that makes him not want to walk? Whereabouts are you? Someone may be able to recommend a behaviourist.

Its very hard to live with a fearful/nervous dog, both heartbreaking and frustrating. We eventually did seek help and my boy has improved (with the aid of medication and behavioural work) and will walk sometimes but he will never be a "normal" dog that always enjoys going for walks.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck.

Thank you Colliemum, that is really helpful, knowing at least we're not on our own.

Our boy is 2 years old. He is a Whippet Saluki cross.

He will play for hours in the garden, but getting him into the garden across the drive is a challenge and he will stop half way, even though he knows where he is going and that he is going to play. There is nothing on the drive and it is enclosed and private, but he still freezes. He will eventually come round and run into the garden, but then he stops on the way back into the house. I've had Saluki rescue dogs before and never experienced anything like this.

We're based up in Yorkshire, if you can recommend a behaviorist in the area?

I'm having a similar problem. I have a 10 year old Border Colis cross who has always enjoyed her walks but has always been scared of loud noises, especially gun fire. I have always managed to overcome this by walking very early or late when there are no noises. However this is becoming worse. She now won't go out at all. She gets to the gate and stops refusing to move. I took her out in the car yesterday to the park but she refused to get out. It seems as if she remembers where she heard loud noises and won't walk there again. I'm getting very concerned . She is in good health and is fit and well. Do I not take her out for a week and then try again or do I keep trying? Any help would be appreciated.

In both cases a behaviourist from either COAPE or APBC would be a good investment. First the cause has to be identified and then a programme implemented to help the dog and you through this difficult time.

In the meantime lots of games and mental stimulation in the form of training, tricks etc will help you bond and get rid of at least some of the pent up energy.

Back