The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog/pet insurance

mesengi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder whether anyone is experiencing the same problem I have with my current insurers? I want to drop the premium level on my current policy but have been informed by current insurers that if I do that I have a 14 day lapse of insurance from the end of one insurance to the beginning of the new. I find this unacceptable bearing in mind that I am not even considering changing insurers. My question posed to them was 'Why?' when they have all the details of my dog on file together with his medical history? Furthermore having sent them an email posing this question they have responded with a letter saying that they are treating this as a complaint (which it was not!) and will respond to me within either 20 days or 40 days. This first date will effectively mean that my dog will be uninsured for at least 5 days whilst I try to resolve this problem. Any help?

Mesengi

Whats the reason for wanting to downgrade from premium if you don't mind me asking?

As my dog has now reached the grand old age of 8 years old and I very rarely show him nowadays it really doesn't seem worth continuing on the higher premium. Furthermore, I have read both policies through thoroughly and except for one certain element within both policies which I am now prepared to accept and an OAP on a very limited pension trying to economise I have decided to do this.

Take out insurance with a new company, they clearly are not honoring customer loyalty anyway, start the new policy 14 days before the existing one ends then you are fully covered right through,

Pet insurance companies take the p**s, my existing one (Tesco) have increased mine by £20 per month on the renewal notice, I have a 2 year old and an 8 year old and have made no claims in the year I have had the insurance so no danger am I staying with them, going to Direct line.

I agree with Murphy - they are quite silly, always raising premiums a ridiculous amount and there are some instances where certain companies argue the toss far too long and don't pay out in time anyway...

Have you thought about shopping around for a new quote, mesengi? Who are you with at the moment?

I was with Morethan but they made a typing error so i pointed this out to them and they doubled the monthly money.

I canceled and got another one for one pound less that the first quot.

Thank you all for your replies. I don't think I can take out a new insurance before the current one runs out as I'm pretty sure any new insurance company will do a search to see if I am currently insured. There will always be a 2 week interval of leaving the old insurance company and starting the new. I am in the process of trying to get my current insurers to realise their stupidity and will keep you informed.

Just be careful when moving insurances that your pet doesn't have any previous medical history that they can use as 'pre exisiting'.

A lot of these insurances will wriggle there way out of paying and use your dog's previous medical history as way of doing that.

Thank you Moderator. I am well aware of what insurance companies are like which is why I would like an answer to a relatively simple operation of changing premiums with my current insurers. I have to say that I have little or no time for insurance as they always seem to take your money but find good excuses not to pay out when you want them to. This applies not only to dog/pet insurance but also any other insurance which one feels ought to be taken out 'just in case!'

Back