The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Dog being needy and peeing in crate

laura301091

Registered
Reaction score
We've had out JRT for nearly 6 months now and he was great at the start. He was already house trained so we never had that issue and we trained him to get used to a crate. The crate we have for him is the largest one we could get so he has plenty of room for his blankets, water, toys etc.

For some reason, over the past month or so he has become very needy, he never stays on his own. If we leave the room he will immediately be at our feet. But its got to the stage that when we leave him in the crate for as little as 10 mins and leave the house he will have peed by the time we get back. This is even with us taking him out for a walk before! We even tried not putting him in his crate when we nipped out to get shopping from the car but we were welcomed back in with pee at the living room door.

I'm retraining him to be a bit more independent by leaving him in another room and trying to get him to like his crate again (which he has no issue with at night time, he happily goes in there at bed time). It's hard to train him when we work out from 8 - half 4. I know this is a long time for a dog to not go to the toilet but he was doing that for about 5 months so I'm not sure what the issue is all of a sudden.

Has anyone any suggestions of anything we can try or why he would be doing this? I don't like the thought of him stressing himself out when we aren't there.

8.5 hours is too long in my opinion for a dog to be left alone in a crate ..what time do u go to bed? ..if you went say 10.30 that means he only has company for 6-8 hours a day out of 24 hours. He I probably lonely and is missing you. Have u thought about hiring a dog walker to.come in during the day to take him out and break the day up?

I hate crates! They came from America and apart from restraining a dog who needs rest following surgery or for safe transport I can't see why anyone would want to put a dog in one. If your dog is displaying these symptoms it is pure anxiety. He can't leave you a note saying I'm really miserable or scared. You say he was housetrained when you got him and was great. So since coming to you he's become less settled and content. That means you need to find another way of keeping him. I do think he is being left for too long and would certainly get someone in for breaks for him... You say he's happy in his crate over night - is it open or closed? If he's happy in it you never need to close it, surely?

You are obviously wanting to do the best for this little lad. None of is can speak dog so we just have to find ways they can live with us happily. It's up to us.

Crates are a useful tool if used properly. Ive never had to use a crate for any dog ive had apart from my youngest who is working line and very clever. She opens doors , cupboards , can climb has a nose on her like no other dog ive ever had. If we don't keep her busy she finds her own entertainment. If for some reason i cant be with her she is crated for her own safety and the safety of my home ! She chewed the plastic child lock off the fridge and got in the fridge , she chews wires, she has scaled a 6 ft fence to go and retrieve a lost ball . I found her on my kitchen worktop the other day licking the crumbs out of a plugged in toaster !! And yes I do work her , she has 2 long walks 2-3 20 mins training in the garden, lots of play and lots of attention..she is the only dog ive ever had in over 20years that has ever needed crating ..its been a life saver in my house

It does sound as though your dog is suffering from some sort of anxiety. Dogs will often result to peeing in order to relieve anxiety. The act of releasing the urine makes them feel better for a brief moment so they repeat it when they feel anxious.

It may be that your dog has bonded with you too much. He now misses you and feels the need to keep tabs on you. When he can't do that he gets anxious and this results in his behaviour getting worse.

There may be other things that are causing his anxiety. Changes in the household, changes in routine etc. Only by addressing these things and building his confidence will a solution be found. It may be that you need a qualified behaviourist to come out and delve into what is going on. Only use properly qualified people from COAPE or APBC.

It is always worthwhile going back to basics with house training and giving a high value reward for peeing in the garden. Give the treat immediately he pees so that he is sure why it is being given. Try not to get angry when you find a pee in the house or his crate. It will only increase his anxiety levels and make matters worse.

Make sure all his breed needs are being met. Does he get a chance to run around and be a dog? Has he got stimulating toys to play with? Jack Russels like to dig. Could he have a sand pit in the garden? Silver sand is available from builders merchants for play pits. Cover it up between uses so that cats do not get in it. Hide his toys in the sand and encourage him to find them.

Only ever use positive training methods. Any harsh training will make him anxious and cause more problems than are being solved.

Try to find the cause of his anxiety. Only by doing this can you solve his issues.

On the subject of crates. Dogs are den animals and, properly introduced, there is nothing wrong with using them. They should never be used to punish a dog for wrong doing. They should always be a safe haven.

I absolutely agree with almost everything in Gypsysmum's post except the last bit. Dogs aren't den animals in the way badgers and beavers are. They build dens for whelping and then abandon them- nor does a dog have any experience in nature of being kept in a small space from which it cannot escape. That's the point I was making really, this little dog's problems seemed to begin with the introduction of the crate and the two things could be connected. Although of course we have no way of knowing about other pressures from his new environment. So yes, back to basics, try to settle him in his new home by not asking too much of him and giving him the most enriching life.

According to the Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training, Procedures and Protocols by Steven R. Lindsay, "The crate would not be a home, nor would it be a den, but more appropriately would simply be a "place for confinement".

Do dogs have the capacity to differentiate between being confined to a crate, a room, or a house? The reason most dogs guard is because they feel trapped in a house or garden. It is a fear response due to not having the capacity to flee from the intruder. Does that mean we should not confine them to a house or garden?

The dog in question is quite happy in his crate at night. If this were not the case then a rethink on crating him might be appropriate. As it is, the information provided points to some other cause of his behaviour.

Well I've certainly had a dog that hated being shut in a kitchen (where he slept in a bed overnight) when I went out and would bark and cry according to neighbours but would happily settle when given the run of the kitchen, utility room, hall and conservatory so I guess there's the answer.

Just had a thought that may be worth following up for this lad- have your vet check he doesn't have any underlying physical reason for his behaviour- I'm think a urinary tract infection?

But they also say he is 'needy' ..i think this poor dog just spends too much time alone

Oh yes, absolutely! ;) Just thought if he's lonely and anxious AND has a medical problem as well is the last thing he needs.

Back