The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Does Anyone Out There Have A Dog Like Mine?

revitt5758

Registered
Reaction score
I`ve had my beautiful Saluki x Greyhound for a year now. He`s a rescue dog, and has had a bad time. He`s about 2 to 3 years old. He`s wonderful with people, in spite of what has happened to him in the past, but he`s a nightmare with other dogs, sometimes even with my 10 year old Saluki x Whippet bitch.

He loves to run and desperately wants other dogs to chase him. However, they are all terrified of him. He never bites ( but I always muzzle him when he`s off lead ) but he snarls and jumps on other dogs unless they chase him. He`s fine with old dogs and also with little dogs who bark and snap at him. My bitch (who he loves) chases him for a while, but when she gets fed up and stops, he buzzes her and snarls at her as her flies past her, in an attempt to provoke her into chasing him again. I HATE having to keep him on a lead, but really have no option, as he`s a big, boisterous lad. When another dog is in sight, his otherwise reasonable recall becomes non-existent. Any advice please?

sorry I don't have any advice on what to do with him but I feel for him, he obviously has more energy than your other dog and is desperately wanting to play.

Your dog is exactly the kind that ours would run a mile from if she met him :b (no offence) so I appreciate it must be hard for you when you have him out.

I hope you can find him a big mate in the local park so he can exhaust himself with a friend. Usually springers are full of beans and enjoy the chase, look out for one of them.

Is he too big to run along side you on a bike ?

:luck:

if he just got to much energy taking him out with you on a bile or skates should work or try some agility type classes for him with all that energy and saluki brains he needs somthing to do to occupie his mined aswell

Izzy whizz loves him! :thumbsup: Borrow her from your bro.....

Your post just reminded me of my old dog, now sadly departed. One of his best mates was a saluki x whippet bitch and he would spend ages chasing after her - he just loved it and she did too. She did exactly the same thing, although Logan didn't need much encouragement to chase. They used to fly around together!

Don't despair - you will find some dogs that want to play one day :thumbsup: Maybe you could find the nearest racing track for lurchers and meet up with other dogs who want to race around like maniacs ;)

Your post just reminded me of my old dog, now sadly departed. One of his best mates was a saluki x whippet bitch and he would spend ages chasing after her - he just loved it and she did too. She did exactly the same thing, although Logan didn't need much encouragement to chase. They used to fly around together!
Don't despair - you will find some dogs that want to play one day :thumbsup: Maybe you could find the nearest racing track for lurchers and meet up with other dogs who want to race around like maniacs ;)
Thanks.

I really lke the idea of Raymond going to a race track and meeting up with similar dogs and people who would understand him. Do you know how I might go about finding such a club?

OMG someone who has a dog like mine! We too have a very boisterous rescue dog x greyhound who we would dearly love to let run free. Trouble is he runs at other dogs full pelt and knocks them flying and terrifies their owners. He never bites and only wants to play and chase. He's very gentle and funny in the house, a different dog altogether. Shame you don't live near, we could let them run off steam together! Amanda has kindly given us details of Worcs club and we are going to pop down to watch to see how its done. He's seriously clever so were gonna try agility and hope he learns some manners. Good luck with him!

I`ve had my beautiful Saluki x Greyhound for a year now. He`s a rescue dog, and has had a bad time. He`s about 2 to 3 years old. He`s wonderful with people, in spite of what has happened to him in the past, but he`s a nightmare with other dogs, sometimes even with my 10 year old Saluki x Whippet bitch.He loves to run and desperately wants other dogs to chase him. However, they are all terrified of him. He never bites ( but I always muzzle him when he`s off lead ) but he snarls and jumps on other dogs unless they chase him. He`s fine with old dogs and also with little dogs who bark and snap at him. My bitch (who he loves) chases him for a while, but when she gets fed up and stops, he buzzes her and snarls at her as her flies past her, in an attempt to provoke her into chasing him again. I HATE having to keep him on a lead, but really have no option, as he`s a big, boisterous lad. When another dog is in sight, his otherwise reasonable recall becomes non-existent. Any advice please?
my recall with my lurcher when shes sees another dog goes out the window, which can be very embarasing upseting , she was trying to get an 18 yrs old yorkie x to play with her the other day, i am going to try making myself in more interesing than the other dog idea, or get another lurcher for her to run with/chase???????

pink_phone_end_of_08_240.JPG

That's our Buddy all over, he's 3yrs old now and still mad but such fun.

You'll need plenty of patience good luck lol :luck: :teehee:

021.jpg

Still thinks he's a pup.

I`ve had my beautiful Saluki x Greyhound for a year now. He`s a rescue dog, and has had a bad time. He`s about 2 to 3 years old. He`s wonderful with people, in spite of what has happened to him in the past, but he`s a nightmare with other dogs, sometimes even with my 10 year old Saluki x Whippet bitch.He loves to run and desperately wants other dogs to chase him. However, they are all terrified of him. He never bites ( but I always muzzle him when he`s off lead ) but he snarls and jumps on other dogs unless they chase him. He`s fine with old dogs and also with little dogs who bark and snap at him. My bitch (who he loves) chases him for a while, but when she gets fed up and stops, he buzzes her and snarls at her as her flies past her, in an attempt to provoke her into chasing him again. I HATE having to keep him on a lead, but really have no option, as he`s a big, boisterous lad. When another dog is in sight, his otherwise reasonable recall becomes non-existent. Any advice please?
my recall with my lurcher when shes sees another dog goes out the window, which can be very embarasing upseting , she was trying to get an 18 yrs old yorkie x to play with her the other day, i am going to try making myself in more interesing than the other dog idea, or get another lurcher for her to run with/chase???????
WOW what a beauty! She looks like my Sonny boy.

Back