The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Does Anyone Know Of Asthma Is Dogs?

clairej810

Registered
Reaction score
Tiny has been coughing on and off since November, the vet has been treating it as recurrent kennel cough but is now thinking it could be asthma as his coughing is worse when he exercises.

I've never come across asthma in dogs, has anyone else? Does anyone know what the treatment is?

Thanks

clairej810 said:
Tiny has been coughing on and off since November, the vet has been treating it as recurrent kennel cough but is now thinking it could be asthma as his coughing is worse when he exercises.
I've never come across asthma in dogs, has anyone else?  Does anyone know what the treatment is?

Thanks

I don't know about asthma but my Coco's respiratory problems started off with coughing that everyone thought was kennel cough. We have never arrived at a definitive diagnosis despite having every test done known the mankind!! Between myself and my Vet we just 'manage' her condition now with steroids, antibiotics and anything herbal/homoeopathic I can think of to try!!! Coco started this when she was about 14 months old and will be 12 in May. She has deteriorated clinically over the years but, in herself, is OK. I know of other Whippets who seem to have suffered with the same sort of symptoms but the other owners have given up quite quickly and had their dogs PTS when the dog could not be 'cured'.

These problems do seem common in Greyhounds, particularly racers. We were having a similar problem with Skippy, but we changed her bedding from shredded paper to shredded disposable nappy material, which is dust free, and she seems better. She's also breathless after racing in the summer months occasionally, which might be some kind of allergic asthmatic reaction so we just use Piriton.

We use piriton some of the time as Tiny has some baldy patches that flare up and the skin looks like it'll crack - we treat that with piriton and E45 cream, the fur never grows back though.

I'll have to try piriton as a regular thing, see if that helps the coughing / wheezing! :thumbsup:

We had some blood tests done which showed he is not allergic to house mites, but he is mildly allergic to some trees (but not grass) :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Our lurcher seems to suffer mildly from hay fever, if we go into a field where there is a lot of grass pollen she will often seem irritated and let out a huge sneeze. Perhaps some dogs are even more sensitive to pollen, dust or other airborne irritants. Stinging nettles used to cause a friends' dog to cough quite badly for a few hours after being stung

I had a cat who developed asthma and it was managed with steroids. Sadly, his condition was partly/mostly due to being FIV positive and I only had him a year. :( At least Tiny can't have that! (w00t)

Hope you get to the bottom of it. :thumbsup:

Back