The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Does Anyone Just Have One Whippet?

HopeRosie

Registered
Reaction score
Ok - Ive been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks - got a few problems here :(

Does anyone just have one whippet? Im not able to get another dog even if I wanted to but do whippets NEED other dogs to be happy even if they get lots of walks love and games from people?

my first whippet blue was an only child until ollie, we didnt get him till blue was about a year old and he was very happy on his own and i think would have continued to be happy even if we didnt get anymore whippets :D

nicky12 said:
my first whippet blue was an only child until ollie, we didnt get him till blue was about a year old and he was very happy on his own and i think would have continued to be happy even if we didnt get anymore whippets  :D

Nelly was happy on her own until she was 2 and half. In fact sometimes i think she wishes she still was - i think she'd rather have 'all' the fuss as apposed to sharing :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just one whippet. As long as i play with him and obviously take him for walks, he's perfectly happy. (he's most happy when he's either asleep,eating or running around!) :thumbsup:

Grace is an only whippet.She very much prefers it that way! 8) She is not a sharer at all.I did think of getting another whippet but Grace would not let anyone share her things.I had my friends dog for a couple of days and Grace would not let her move without jumping on her.But then she is a super spoilt brat and I think she wanted it to stay that way. :lol: She gets plenty of playing time with my clients dogs and is glad when they have had their walks and then dropped off home again.Im sure all whippies are different but I know my super brat is happy :)being the only fur kid.

i have just the one whippet, and gypsy came from a family with 3 i think...i was worried she would be lonely here on her own, but shes fine, she plays with the kids and loves my youngest to bits.

i would like another one though...just got to talk the o/h into it :- "

hely said:
i have just the one whippet, and gypsy came from a family with 3 i think...i was worried she would be lonely here on her own, but shes fine, she plays with the kids and loves my youngest to bits.i would like another one though...just got to talk the o/h into it :- "

just gotta talk him into it :lol: use ya womanly charms fer goodness sake, get yourself togged up tonight, and give him a night to remember, thatl do the trick, :lol: but dont forget the plastic bag over your head first :oops: then u gotta charm me fer one of my ickle puppies :oops: again

i'l check my warn level next time i log on :lol:

keith :cheers:

I got my first whippet at 13 months as a rescue. He remained on his own until he was four and a half and was perfectly happy. :D

midlanderkeith said:
hely said:
i have just the one whippet, and gypsy came from a family with 3 i think...i was worried she would be lonely here on her own, but shes fine, she plays with the kids and loves my youngest to bits.i would like another one though...just got to talk the o/h into it :- "

just gotta talk him into it :lol: use ya womanly charms fer goodness sake, get yourself togged up tonight, and give him a night to remember, thatl do the trick, :lol: but dont forget the plastic bag over your head first :oops: then u gotta charm me fer one of my ickle puppies :oops: again

i'l check my warn level next time i log on :lol:

keith :cheers:

you cheeky old git keith....bag over my head indeed :wacko: ...and as for a night to remember...well ive got a headache :- "

HopeRosie said:
Ok - Ive been a bit quiet the last couple of weeks - got a few problems here  :(
Does anyone just have one whippet?  Im not able to get another dog even if I wanted to but do whippets NEED other dogs to be happy even if they get lots of walks love and games from people?

their perfectly fine by themselves

It depends on the dog. Like people, some like company and some don't. :)

its a tricky one! i have only one and he is spoilt rotten and seems very happy but my gut feeling is whippets need whippets when my Finbar is with his only whippet friend Dixie he seems to come into his own!!! but he is very possessive over his toys and won't share anything!! so it difficult to know if having another would be the right thing -_-

We only have 1 whippet and I also wonder at times if he would be happier with another dog in the house but we are not in a position to have another dog.

We just try to make sure that he gets lots of attention and playing with us and walks which involve meeting other dogs as I do think he needs to meet and play with other dogs as he is extremely sociable even though it makes me very very nervous as he wants to play with every dog he sees and some are not as friendly as others.

I just have Izzy and she is very happy.... she gets lots of attention..... she is 18 months old. :thumbsup:

Would love another as would OH now, but I can't convince my father who has her during the day that he can manage 2!

Seriously though she is fine on her own..... although my current tactic with Dad is that it is recommended you have a pair! :- "

Back