The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

do they still run at preston

onceracedatpreston

Registered
Reaction score
hiya all,i used to race a bitch at preston and at stockport some time ago now,1990-91.i bought her from brian sproston,he had put to good use the stud services of stockport dog Rch-Nch Rock on blue song to his sleek bitch Rch Amazing Flight to produce a tidy litter of pups.Brian also bred and raced some belters whilst we were running our bitch...names like Gamble on Tina,Follymaid and Whats That spring to mind,brian always seemed to do well down at Old hall when it counted.Many years have past since them happy days racing,the bitch is long retired living out her well earned rest up in the hills above Mold in North Wales.....still chases rabbits when out for a walk and very nearly catches the buggers.I've been reading some of the comments placed here and i'am not in the least bit suprised to see raging debates going on within the whippet racing world,still! things just never change...peoples will to win is sometimes far greater than that of there charge waiting in the trap,this is always going to throw up problems.Dont ever forget its just a sport...and sadly a dying one at that...lots of whippet racing folk could do without the hassle and stress of one-upmanship ,so like us pack in racing altogether.Its sad to see after many years away from the sport,that there is still debate over things like kickboards!you'll want to revert back to pre-trap days next! I have met in the very short time racing some very helpful genuine folk,the salt of the earth types who want nowt more than plenty of other racers at there club to boost the level of opposition,and i've met others who for reasons only known to themselves,seem hell-bent on wrecking the good done by others to make everyone welcome and in with a sporting chance of enjoying a days racing in a friendly enviroment......dont ruin it...keep it going...thanks

racing at preston stopped around 1996.

lancaster club has reformed thanks to steve boyd and we also have a+t miners wrc in astley nr manchester.

Really good comments made about racing.......if you are ever near astley ....youre always welcome at the club.

Hi Preston,

A good post...I'm new to this sport and I thoroughly enjoy it...however a few of your points are valid...Our club had an Open on Sunday and cos we're in the South no one turned up from outside the region...I know it's a long way for many, but a few weeks ago many of our club went to Asfordby to race and I just went to watch...As it happens my pup had to run solo this week..which was a little disappointing when I hear there's a lot of good pups around...

It is a fun sport however, and I'm glad I took it up...here's to the next pup...

Paul

preston on a sat afternoon was fab.....i really miss preston at times.

Everyone was so nice, the weather was always lovely at preston and we'd race and then go for a beer afterwards.......frankie the pedi that used to hump dogs when they jumped on the lure, the toilet facilities (mmmmm) which was a bucket and you had to hold a door infront of you to protect youre modisty......they were excellent times!!!!

Michelle how could you forget - the bucket did have a toilet seat on!!!

1990-91 my dog had just started racing then.

I would imagine the people knocking about then would be:

Joan Jones with Mersey Magic & Hawkwind.

Adele Wood with Creamery Point, Judywood & Snoopywood

Harry Skelly (?) with KBO

Paddy's Choice i can't remember the owners name?

Anne & Tommy Kileen - Yours Truly , Miss Truly

Paul Coleman - Lady Dee, Miscellaneous & Tina's Choice

Bob Heeks & Pauline Hindle with pups from Barry's Girl & Wings of a Dove

Ahhhhhh those were the days

Oh just remembered Joe & Ken Woodhead who had T.C, TJ & Another T.

what was the couple called whose daughter had whisky cream ( officially the lightest dog in the north west)?

The mum was called Phillis & her dog was China Girl but I think that would have been after 91 though, they also had a dog called Happy off Elaine Pugh which might have been more around the time of 90-91.

Elaine Pugh was probably racing Degree at that point too!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Degree was the little one & Decree was the big one which if i'm right went to some relative of Malcolm Clarkes?

????? dunno.

did paul and pauline coleman race at preston in the early 90's?

Yeh, they had other dogs racing in late 80's before they got Cleo's sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:
bloody hell,some names there of both dogs and owners who i'd long forgotten....and yer right,why was it always sunny down that old rec- yard?

and as soon as you turned off the main road down the side of the ale house the dogs knew where they were going,they could hardly contain themselves.Some of the nicest people i've ever had the pleasure of meeting were to be found at preston, Ann Killeen being one of them,how many times i'd heard her telling folk that she had "ang ooer" after a good night-out....genuine star of a lady.

My dogs used to get so excited when we went down the dirt track to the track.

ann and tommy were great people.......wonder what they are up to now?

here are a few names that you might know Tony Odonell.Tony DempseyDEmpsey and Makepeace/ Brian Shaw from Flookburgh Silverlinning/ Harold Oliphant rch sportsman/ Billy Gill from Wigan rch S.A G. and J,S.A./Appley Bridge the Green brothers Bert and Roy also from that area Parkside track Danny Kirby who owned Spike John Connor Mallory/ who has just packed up altogether after a good 35 years of racing and has had the best and bred Mr Ben for Steve And Julie Bateson countless Rchs 55 all told i think ,mermory lane John Turner who had Funny Girl that should take you back some when we all used to meet in the Shaws Arms for the Bwra meetings taylor and his dad were running the Preston club then. Blue Mist --Muse.

I did send an e-mail but i'd like it known on here:

I'd just like to say a BIG thankyou to Brian (onceracedatpreston) for his very kind offer of sponsoring the 40lb/No Limit Scratch classes at our Open on 20th July, not only has he offered a kind donation of prize money also a trophy for Sup Scr.

It's a great shame the sport lost such a kind man - Once again Thanks, it's very much appreciated!!!

just come in from work and found out that brian will sponser the scratch event.............BIG thanks brian.......and even better he may be coming down to the open!!!!!!!!

big thanks from everyone at gin pit!!!!!!!

Just been reading about anne and tommy kileen at Preston so thought id take some of the old timers a liitle further back, who remembers Ray Taylor who used to drive the lure and his dad Jim who ran the little tuck shop. I had a pup off their old dog Kaz Garaz. I also remember Sunny saturday afternoons when the track was run by Harold and Gordon. I raced three dogs down there over the years, a liilte brindle bitch called Jackpot , the Ben and Prince who both raced at Parkside and Westhoughton too.

Trev

Back