The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Did Anyone See Dog Borstal Tonight?

Angela#

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone saw Dog Borstal Tonight. I have a problem with my whippet bitch when other dogs approach her. She started just having a bark but now she goes absolutely beserk although she doesnt growl. I know the discs are popular with some people and wondered if anyone on here had used them and if they were effective. I have tried with food but she takes no notice.

Angela

Didn't see the prog. What are these discs and how do they work?

Hi Angela . .iv used the discs they worked for my whippet. When i let him of the lead to play he used to bite me and run off. I used to throw the discs on the floor. He didnt like the sound off them and stopped biting me..

Lal said:
Didn't see the prog.  What are these discs and how do they work?

They are little gold discs that are attached to some thread which you have round your fingers like castinets (sp)? They look about 4/5 cm in diameter. You can either throw them on the floor to make a noise which dogs don't seem to like or rattle them in your hand.

my mum uses them.............with great success :thumbsup:

Angela# said:
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone saw Dog Borstal Tonight.  I have a problem with my whippet bitch when other dogs approach her.  She started just having a bark but now she goes absolutely beserk although she doesnt growl.  I know the discs are popular with some people and wondered if anyone on here had used them and if they were effective.  I have tried with food but she takes no notice. 

Angela

I'd be wary of using them. My first behaviourist recommended them and when I used them the only effect they had was making Lenny cower away from me. He is a very nervy dog, if yours is too avoid training discs altogether, they can do more harm than good. If your dog is reacting to other dogs and cant be distracted with food then you need to increase the distance between your dog and the other dog until you are at a distance when your dog doesn't react. Then gradually decrease the distance.

I am making headway with Lenny now that I have changed trainers. I think that once your dog has started to lunge there will not be a lot you can do to distract and calm it. In these situations I just get Lenny away from the dog to stop him getting wound up.

If your in any doubt consult a behaviourist as your dog has started to react without warning. It is very hard to give any advice without seeing how your dog reacts but if you want to talk to me about anything you can pm me :)

Just wanted to add that perhaps you could clicker train your dog (if you don't already). This is what I have started with Lenny and he is picking things up more easily :thumbsup:

jezza said:
Just wanted to add that perhaps you could clicker train your dog (if you don't already). This is what I have started with Lenny and he is picking things up more easily  :thumbsup:

Thanks I've pm you.

Back