The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Desperate for help and advice for my cheeky staffy!

Alchiepoo135

Registered
Reaction score
He's a beautiful 15 month old blue staffy. I adopted him from a lovely family 4 weeks ago. As the weeks have gone by I find myself struggling more. He's lovely natured, loves a cuddle on the sofa and a belly rub. He's very clingy which is quite cute, if I go in the shop he's sat outside whining.

Anywho, he seems to be chewing up my daughters toys more, he nips our hands when he gets excited and jumps up. When out for a walk he's pulling me down the road which is hard with a 2 year old aswell. He's perfect off the lead in the woods with nobody around. But if someone walks past he follows them and jumps up and doesn't leave them alone. With dogs he gets overly excited and the other dog ends up getting annoyed and they end up having a fight.

I once opened my front door and he ran out and jumped in a lady's car and sat on her lap! I tried getting him back in by pulling his collar and he was trying to bite my hand. He constantly ponses food even from my daughters hand and refuses to eat his own. My main worry is how bad he is out and about, can anyone help me teach him not to pull me and walk by my side? And not to follow people and harass dogs.

It's gotten to the point I don't like walking him and I actually dread it. Help?!

Oh dear!

You're in a bit of a pickle aren't you!

First off lead- if he has a favourite food or toy take it with you. Keep his attention by talking to you and to keep him by your side. If he does what you want and does not pull then reward. if he pulls then stop and call him back to you. If you have to bend down (bend down not over otherwise he will think you are playing with him) open your arms wide and call him back, slowly tugging at his lead. You may look stupid but needs must.

When out in the woods, keep him on a long lead (about 10 meters) then if he goes to run towards someone, foot straight on the lead and slowly pull him back to you with this lead calling him as you go. If he comes straight back, treat (with whatever you feel appropriate) and lots of cuddles and praise.

He is showing dominance by chewing your hand when grabbing his collar. You need a good correction so he knows No means No! Again whatever you feel appropriate just don't smack his nose or tap him as you could make the situation worse.

With the food. Make sure when you and your children are eating he is either in his crate (if you have one) or in another room. Put a baby gate up so he can still see you and totally ignore him whilst you are eating. No human food around him at all!

If he wont eat his own food, then tough. Leave it down for him and that's that. When he gets hungry he will eat it eventually. Do not give in and do not feed him anything unless its his dog food, or treats when your training him obviously.

With the biting hands and the jumping. As soon as he does this (and this applies to your children) turn your back and walk away, folding your arms as you go and again ignore him. He will soon learn that this behavior is not acceptable and that he gets no attention from you when he behaves that way. if he cries or whines again ignore him. Don't even look at him!

Now the key word here is consistency. You must stick to this regime and not falter in anyway. You have to stand your ground and teach him who's boss. Your the leader not the dog and it doesn't matter how much he barks, cries whines etc all this gets him is ignored. Simple as that.

I had a staffie many years ago and the terrier in them can lead to them ruling the roost and getting whatever they want when they want. Typical terrier! Loveable but stubborn.

Baby gate is best so he can still see you if you separate him from you and your children. Staffies suffer greatly from separation anxiety (hence the whining when you go to the shop) so baby gate is best than to shut him in another room!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sophie x

Wow thanks for the reply Sophie. I'm going to start that all today! I'll keep you updated on how we get on :) x

Yes, I'm with Sophie here- it's an age and dominance thing and this is the time when a really nice dog can suddenly become a bit of a dictator if you aren't careful, so it's time for a crash course in you being the boss and him toeing the line, with some really well enforced household rules that are applied by everybody around him so he learns them quickly.

As well as folding your arms and ignoring him when he's making contact with his mouth, can I also suggest that you and your entire family learn to yelp like big girls' blouses? I don't mean to use that when he's nipping and actually hurting you, I mean to use at the very first sign that he's getting a bit too forward with his mouth around human skin.

Any bright dog will learn very quickly that they get no attention at all when they're getting too manic- and of course you can bring back all of the attention, fuss and praise as soon as he's calm and acting appropriately.

There are lots of focusing exercises that you can teach him when you feel that he's starting to listen to you, from basic sit and come commands upwards. I have found that teaching a dog a 'leave' command is a good way of teaching them the self control that they need to get their inner thug under control and act nicely in the house, but I think you may have to work up to this and there's lots to keep you busy in the mean time :)

For safety's sake, please educate your children that if he does get food that he's not supposed to have, they let him have it and don't try to take it off him. The work you will be doing is to prevent him getting access to the food and then teaching him once he's used to not being around human food how to have some manners. Trying to take a very high value treat (as he sees it) off him is a key time when your children could be at risk of him snapping at them, so that has to be a hard and fast household rule.

It's also worth mentioning the neutering question. If he's not already been neutered then he's young enough that there's a possibility that having him neutered could help to calm him down. It won't solve anything by itself, but it could be part of a plan of action.

Good luck :)

Back