The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Designer Dogs Vs Pedigree Dogs

masta said:
saraquele said:
i would charge exactly the same amount for  POTENTIAL  show pup or a pet only , would charge the same for dog or bitch as they all cost the same to rear . no doubt there are countless breeders of crosses out there that do follow up on health / genetics etc and a darn few breeders of pedigree dogs that dont .

my argument is why cross them at all ???

what can for instance a labradoodle do that a pure bred lab cant ????

we have spent many years "perfecting"  a breed so it is recognised as one , looks like we are going backwards instead of forwards  :blink:

what can for instance a labradoodle do that a pure bred lab cant ????

An article in shooting times by a guy whos breeds and trains the best labs in the country recently took in a lab x poodle for training and wrote in his column that he was very pleasantly impressed by the dog and could not fault it i also looked on a gun dog site were someone had started a thread asking about the use of lab x poodles on shoots and the replys were very positive

but a labrador can do the job too , after all it was bred for it , so why cross them ? there is no need , a lab and poodle are both very intelligent and were bred for the water etc but what does someone gain by crossing them ? i may appear thick but i just cant get my head around the reasons why ????

if you want a gun dog buy a lab , if you want an intelligent pet that dosent shed hair get a poodle :blink:

saraquele said:
but a labrador can do the job too , after all it was bred for it , so why cross them ? there is no need , a lab and poodle are both very intelligent and were bred for the water etc but what does someone gain by crossing them ? i may appear thick but i just cant get my head around the reasons why ????if you want a gun dog buy a lab , if you want an intelligent pet that dosent shed hair get a poodle  :blink:

Why? because not everyone wants a pure-bred dog!....why is that so hard to understand?

Sometimes people want a cross because they are combining traits to do a job (non-ped whippets to race, lurchers to hunt, labradoodles to be guide dogs - if you want an intelligent, non-shedding, non-food obsessed dog! )

Sometimes they are combining traits to make a pet that does it for them.

I might be into whippetxbeddi lurchers because they suit my hunting preferences, or because i like the look of a small, scruffy-looking whippety type. Why is one wrong and the other alright?

urchin said:
saraquele said:
but a labrador can do the job too , after all it was bred for it , so why cross them ? there is no need , a lab and poodle are both very intelligent and were bred for the water etc but what does someone gain by crossing them ? i may appear thick but i just cant get my head around the reasons why ????

if you want a gun dog buy a lab , if you want an intelligent pet that dosent shed hair get a poodle  :blink:

Why? because not everyone wants a pure-bred dog!....why is that so hard to understand?

Sometimes people want a cross because they are combining traits to do a job (non-ped whippets to race, lurchers to hunt, labradoodles to be guide dogs - if you want an intelligent, non-shedding, non-food obsessed dog! )

Sometimes they are combining traits to make a pet that does it for them.

I might be into whippetxbeddi lurchers because they suit my hunting preferences, or because i like the look of a small, scruffy-looking whippety type. Why is one wrong and the other alright?

for one i NEVER said anyone was right or wrong :D

and secondly you can not guarentee a labradoodle will be non shedding :thumbsup: i love bedlington x whippets as my dad owned one for many years ,but i would never breed one myself , and if a cross is proven to be better at doing a job than a purebred then fair enough , as i say ITS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION . ive not slated any one or any breed i just wonderd if it was proven that one of the new "designer " dogs can do a better job than one of its pedigree parents ( as a breed as a whole , i know not all labs are good gundogs etc )

i say "designer" as they seem to commend a high price , also lurchers are just that , lurchers , and have been for many many years , i can understand why they are crossed with certain breeds as they have proven in the field that they can do the job better than some of there pure bred ancestors :thumbsup:

Sorry Saraquel - that read back a bit harsh.... I really didn't intend it to be :)

...i just get a bit exasperated by the whole cross-breeding debate here on K9.

I know you didnt say there were rights or wrongs - that was more a puff of steam escaping about those who do

urchin said:
Sorry Saraquel - that read back a bit harsh.... I really didn't intend it to be :)
...i just get a bit exasperated by the whole cross-breeding debate here on K9.

I know you didnt say there were rights or wrongs - that was more a puff of steam escaping about those who do

no problem :huggles: as far as im concerned im not really botherd what people do as no matter what i think or my view is its still going to happen 8)

its not up to me what other people do and i agree that some topics go off and get harsh :( i just found this article really interesting .

i deal with so many crosses in rescue , some fantastic dogs some not so , some of it is the breeding , some the up bringing they have had :(

there are a lot of " breeders " who breed pure breds who dont give a toss about the dogs just the ££££££££££ and the same can be said for crosses :(

the world is so unfair when it comes to animals :( and it is something i feel strongly about ,BUT im not saying im right and others are wrong it is just something i wouldnt do personally :D

Interesting post, thankyou :))

I personally have no problems with new breeds of dogs being created. Either people will apreciate the traits these dogs have and breed from them, therefore strengthening the bloodline. Or it will just be the odd few that wish for a 'designer' dog and they will fizzle out when not bred.

After all, Im sure there were allot less breeds originally. Evolved to suit where they live. Long hair, short hair, good sense of smell, sight, fast etc. I'm sure originally someone thought 'i need a dog that can run fast, see fantastically and is very obedient' so they would select breeds with these characteristics and cross them then breed from the crosses, eventually strengthening the traits and getting a dog similar to a wippet. If you look at old pictures of greyhounds or wippets they are nowhere near as sleak or streamlined as now, nor as fast. This is because only the ones with the characteristics wanted were bred from, therefore making them faster and more streamlined in apperance.

As the article sugests there may well be diseses or problems passed on but eventually they would show and natural selection would mean the dog either suffered or died, therefore not being bred from. Also what's to say that 2 'pure' dogs dont both posess a recessive disease gene and it get passed on to pups. It's exactly the same situation between 'pure' and cross dogs. Theres just maybe a slightly higher possibility that in a cross the 'disease gene' isn't passed on than in a 'pure bred'

Anyway I've probably ranted enough now :b

I do however think that cockapoos and labradoodles etc. can have desireable traits not just look nice. And I think if people genuinely want that combination of characteristics and continue to breed them, then in a centuary or so it will be an 'official' breed. Just like the bedlington terrier. It has wippet in its ancestry and undoubtably poodle or something with a close, tight fur. But these traits were combined and continued because it made a better dog for certain jobs than the wippet or the poodle, eg ratting.

Anyway, I will sut up now, promise :oops:

redddragon said:
Interesting post, thankyou  :))
  I personally have no problems with new breeds of dogs being created. Either people will apreciate the traits these dogs have and breed from them, therefore strengthening the bloodline. Or it will just be the odd few that wish for a 'designer' dog and they will fizzle out when not bred.

After all, Im sure there were allot less breeds originally. Evolved to suit where they live. Long hair, short hair, good sense of smell, sight, fast etc. I'm sure originally someone thought 'i need a dog that can run fast, see fantastically and is very obedient' so they would select breeds with these characteristics and cross them then breed from the crosses, eventually strengthening the traits and getting a dog similar to a wippet. If you look at old pictures of greyhounds or wippets they are nowhere near as sleak or streamlined as now, nor as fast. This is because only the ones with the characteristics wanted were bred from, therefore making them faster and more streamlined in apperance.

As the article sugests there may well be diseses or problems passed on but eventually they would show and natural selection would mean the dog either suffered or died, therefore not being bred from. Also what's to say that 2 'pure' dogs dont both posess a recessive disease gene and it get passed on to pups. It's exactly the same situation between 'pure' and cross dogs. Theres just maybe a slightly higher possibility that in a cross the 'disease gene' isn't passed on than in a 'pure bred'

Anyway I've probably ranted enough now  :b

I do however think that cockapoos and labradoodles etc. can have desireable traits not just look nice. And I think if people genuinely want that combination of characteristics and continue to breed them, then in a centuary or so it will be an 'official' breed. Just like the bedlington terrier. It has wippet in its ancestry and undoubtably poodle or something with a close, tight fur. But these traits were combined and continued because it made a better dog for certain jobs than the wippet or the poodle, eg ratting.

Anyway, I will sut up now, promise  :oops:

i think you have made some very valid points ( for both sides ) :thumbsup: no need to shut up i enjoyed reading your post :thumbsup:

There's quite an interesting article in today's Dog World by Eileen Geeson *page 8* along these lines.

Back