The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Crufts --- The Winner.....

I thought Willy was fab and a deserving winner :cheers: He was groomed to perfection. Would have liked the Maltese to have got the Reserve though

I did think that Willy looked the part and was pleased that he took BIS. Whilst I thought that the wire haired fox terrier would take RBIS I was hoping that the bloodhound might get that place.

I loved the TT, he had a real 'sparkle' which a lot of the other dogs were missing. Very showy, but obviously loving every minute of it.

I can't help wondering how long it is before we see a load of sad looking matted TT's in rescue, though. Sadly, breeds are often done no favours by a Crufts BIS win.

On a different tack, I was very disappointed in some of the handling shown. Do dogs really need to have their heads hauled up so high that they can hardly walk? I'd have thought a dog being shown at that level should be able to move perfectly well on a loose lead.

I also hated seeing dogs picked up by their chins and tails, and there were a few examples of people handling their dogs really quite roughly. To be fair these were probably a small minority, but they stood out for me and set a very poor example to people watching. :(

Lakey said:
The lady in the red outfit with the splits in the skirt should have won in my eyes  :wub: Cant remember the dog at all  :D

I think she was definitely the one of that pair that got noticed. Shame really as it was a lovely dog.

BeeJay said:
stormydog said:
AHH BLOODY  HELL !!!  A YANK OF ALL PEOPLE...[SIZE=8pt]{edited by moderator}[/SIZE]

J o:) HN

BAD LUCK  THE BRITS  :thumbsup:

The dog is British bred. He made it into the Best In Show ring once before and has been BOB 4 times at Crufts. He's the breed record holder, was a UK Champion at just over 13 months of age. He's been the top TT and also top Utility dog in the UK.

Didn't you spot the Ch before the AM Ch in his titles?

hes bred by ken sinclair of the araki tibetan terriers.theyve been breeding winners for a very long time.hes english john not american.i however am american. :angry:

well everyone has their faults kris (w00t) sorry couldnt help that one :huggles:

the TT was nice but i really thought the bloodhound should of taken it, best looking dog out there.

dana said:
well everyone has their faults kris  (w00t) sorry couldnt help that one  :huggles:
the TT was nice but i really thought the bloodhound should of taken it, best looking dog out there.

(w00t) :lol:

FeeFee said:
On a different tack, I was very disappointed in some of the handling shown.  Do dogs really need to have their heads hauled up so high that they can hardly walk?  I'd have thought a dog being shown at that level should be able to move perfectly well on a loose lead.
I also hated seeing dogs picked up by their chins and tails, and there were a few examples of people handling their dogs really quite roughly.  To be fair these were probably a small minority, but they stood out for me and set a very poor example to people watching.  :(

Yes I do agree Fiona, some handlers nearly garrott them as they go round :eek: , the dogs don't look comfortable at all with the show leads tight behind their ears and head jerked up, and actually some dogs look like they can not put normal weight down on the front legs because they are almost lifted off the floor. Just annoys me that some handlers feel the dogs have to be manipulated like this to show their qualities.

Have you noticed how some put the palm of their hand right over the dogs bottom too when they carry them. :x

Last edited by a moderator:
mazza said:
FeeFee said:
On a different tack, I was very disappointed in some of the handling shown.  Do dogs really need to have their heads hauled up so high that they can hardly walk?  I'd have thought a dog being shown at that level should be able to move perfectly well on a loose lead.

I also hated seeing dogs picked up by their chins and tails, and there were a few examples of people handling their dogs really quite roughly.  To be fair these were probably a small minority, but they stood out for me and set a very poor example to people watching.  :(

Yes I do agree Fiona, some handlers nearly garrott them as they go round :eek: , the dogs don't look comfortable at all with the show leads tight behind their ears and head jerked up, and actually some dogs look like they can not put normal weight down on the front legs because they are almost lifted off the floor. Just annoys me that some handlers feel the dogs have to be manipulated like this to show their qualities.

Have you noticed how some put the palm of their hand right over the dogs bottom too when they carry them. :x

Just got back from crufts with my smooth fox terrier he should had been B.I.S. :thumbsup: Willy was fantastic and the masltese i usually cant stand these type of fluffy things as im a terrier person and like to see a good working dog but willy was the ultimate show dog he didnt put a foot wrong his movement was spectacular and presentend in sparkiling conditon. As for Travella show stopper the wire i have seen brown cole handle her all year (and to my belief he is her owner also) she has achieved so much in such a short space of time on previous proformances she looked fantastic her eyes set with fire and on her toes all the time and close up she is in fantastic condition a very well muscled terrier but on the night she was different not like the travella i had admired all year.

As for the lady with the bloodhould! what a disgrace she could have found a better outfit than a pair of jeans and a t shirt good god woman it was B.IS. at crufts the world biggest dog show! a suit maybe next year wat would trinny and suzanna have to say.! and the lady with the tight dress on lol maybe next year i will show a bit of clevage and leg and i too will win LOL loved your all of your dogs though.

OH and as for all the judges tipping travella all year thanks thats my bet down the toilet!! lol

foxway said:
mazza said:
FeeFee said:

Just got back from crufts with my smooth fox terrier he should had been B.I.S. :thumbsup: Willy was fantastic and the masltese i usually cant stand these type of fluffy things as im a terrier person and like to see a good working dog but willy was the ultimate show dog he didnt put a foot wrong his movement was spectacular and presentend in sparkiling conditon. As for Travella show stopper the wire i have seen brown cole handle her all year (and to my belief he is her owner also) she has achieved so much in such a short space of time on previous proformances she looked fantastic her eyes set with fire and on her toes all the time and close up she is in fantastic condition a very well muscled terrier but on the night she was different not like the travella i had admired all year.

As for the lady with the bloodhould! what a disgrace she could have found a better outfit than a pair of jeans and a t shirt good god woman it was B.IS. at crufts the world biggest dog show! a suit maybe next year wat would trinny and suzanna have to say.! and the lady with the tight dress on lol maybe next year i will show a bit of clevage and leg and i too will win LOL loved your all of your dogs though.

OH and as for all the judges tipping travella all year thanks thats my bet down the toilet!! lol

This is the side of Crufts I absolutely detest. What gives you the right to criticise what she is wearing. I loved that bloodhound, he was there in all his glory, no fancy coat, no fancy handling, just a well conditioned hound, shown on a loose lead. That dog will be out in the woods today looking exactly as he did in the BIS Ring, how many of the others can say that. If I had won the hound group I wouldn't have had a trouser suit to wear, but it wouldn't have prevented me from handling my dog as well as any of the other handlers. If we can only judge dogs by what the handler is wearing then we have lost the plot.

Jenny

quintessence said:
foxway said:
mazza said:
FeeFee said:

This is the side of Crufts I absolutely detest. What gives you the right to criticise what she is wearing. I loved that bloodhound, he was there in all his glory, no fancy coat, no fancy handling, just a well conditioned hound, shown on a loose lead. That dog will be out in the woods today looking exactly as he did in the BIS Ring, how many of the others can say that. If I had won the hound group I wouldn't have had a trouser suit to wear, but it wouldn't have prevented me from handling my dog as well as any of the other handlers. If we can only judge dogs by what the handler is wearing then we have lost the plot.

Jenny

Well i think it should all be about presentation of the dog and also of the handler i woulnt go into the ring with jeans on i dont think it looks very professional . as i said i loved the dogs. just having a bit of a jest. Shame people take comments too seriously.

My dog just got back from a walk down to our allotment to feed the goats he is still in fantastic condition. I dont think many show handlers let their dog drop condition after crufts as there are many other important champ shows in the next couple of weeeks i have one on the 7th of april although my dog has already qualified for crufts 2008 at manchester earlier this year i would like a CC. I will be weraing a suit. and me and my dog will be looking hot to trot! lol :thumbsup:

:unsure: I think I might have wandered into the wrong forum. And possibly the wrong century (w00t)

I wonder if Fabulous Willie's owners will enter him in the Cock of the North working terrier competition :p

Only joking- Tibetans are in the Utility Group - but can you imagine it!!!!

tbh when we were watching the group judging i turned to my hubs and said wouldnt you have thought shed have made an effort to get dressed up nicely while its crufts,instead of wearing an old pair of jeans?.yes he may be a working dog and out in the fields etc etc but this is a dog show!its all about beauty and conformation.you would NEVER see a handler in the states letting their dog down by dressing so scruffily.it was like seeing miss world dolled up to the nines with her hair and make up done well and then spoiling it all by wearing an old dressing gown or something equally inappropriate!this is only my opinion but i feel she let that dogs chances in the group down.a judge while judging the dog isnt going to take into consideration the impression that dog will make on the other judge who is judging best in show.but i think that if a dog is presented badly by a scruffy handler they are letting the breeed down and the dog itself.i was always taught to present the dog as well as possible and that your own personal attire mattered cos it was part of the overall picture.a nice pair of pants and matching top or a trouser suit would have set the dog off well and who knows ,it may have improved his chances. :)

the maltese caught my eye. my son says i only liked it cause it caught my ear MALTESE====MALTESERS

yummy yum :D

Well I ,like a lot of people on here thought Fabulous Willy was just that... FABULOUS!!! and deserved his win, he really had a certain showmanship that a lot of dogs in the ring lack,I can see why he did well in the States,they love that over there in a showdog!! in my mind it can be the difference in an Champion and an "also ran".

On the other hand I did'nt like the WH Fox at all..I thought he looked like he did'nt enjoy it at all. My money was on Simon the Flat Coat.....now he was something else! and it was nothing to do with what his handler was wearing.But I do agree with Kris and Foxway I think it is nice to make an effort,it just rounds the whole thing off. :thumbsup:

What appalled us was every time a handler of the 'bigger' breeds got ready to do their triangle they smacked their dog under the chin (w00t)

What was that about????

If they were trying to get the dogs head up why not use a treat instead of giving it a whack.... look back at your videos... it's true :eek:

Yep....I said the same thing,Why knock them under the jaw?

phill said:
Yep....I said the same thing,Why knock them under the jaw?
In response to hitting the dog under the jaw befor moving it i do the same with my smooth fox its not as rough as i may look on the telly it is a gentle pat under the chin. When out walking, my dog sniffs at the floor where other dogs have been i let him do this when walking casually but he has been trained to show trot when in training as a puppy on the show lead if he sniffed the floor in the ring i would lift his head up and pat him under the chin and tell him NO to let him know its show time. As training progressed i didnt need to use verbal command. Its just a training thing like a signal to command the dog to sit stand ect. Maybe some handlers are rougher than others but most of the time its very gently telling the dog to hold his head up high and put on a performance. The show dogs tend to sniff the floor in the ring beause of all the sents it would look very good if i let my boy trot round the ring sniffing at the floor :wacko:

Back