The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Crate Training And Collars

I have 'tag collars' and 'walking collars'. The tag collars are anything from 1/2 inch wide to an inch wide. They are on all the time. If my dogs get loose they have 2 purposes: 1) immediate identification and 2) a handle to catch the dog with. I leave them on very loose, so if they did catch on something there's a good chance they could still slip out of them, but it's a protective measure.

I didn't leave collars on young puppies in crates - I always took them off, but once adult sized I would leave them on.

My preference is for ID and 'handles' on the dogs at all times. I do feel they are necessary in the house as when people come in they give me something to hang on to to keep dogs from slipping out etc.

This is 'my' personal preference.

Also when I redid my kitchen I made sure it had handles that collars couldn't catch on.

There's dangers to a lot of things we do or don't do. It's weighing them up and deciding what risks are worth taking and what ones aren't. The same could be said for raw/kibble feeding, for off lead walking, for crating/not crating in cars.

For me, I try to minimize the risks around the house that wearing collars could bring - and for me, it's worth the few risks left to have a collar on my girls 24/7. For someone else it might not be.

However, as I said further up in my rambling, I don't leave them on young pups in crates.

Wendy

chelynnah said:
I have 'tag collars' and 'walking collars'.  The tag collars are anything from 1/2 inch wide to an inch wide.  They are on all the time.  If my dogs get loose they have 2 purposes:  1) immediate identification and 2) a handle to catch the dog with.  I leave them on very loose, so if they did catch on something there's a good chance they could still slip out of them, but it's a protective measure.
I didn't leave collars on young puppies in crates - I always took them off, but once adult sized I would leave them on.

My preference is for ID and 'handles' on the dogs at all times.  I do feel they are necessary in the house as when people come in they give me something to hang on to to keep dogs from slipping out etc.

This is 'my' personal preference.

Also when I redid my kitchen I made sure it had handles that collars couldn't catch on.

There's dangers to a lot of things we do or don't do.  It's weighing them up and deciding what risks are worth taking and what ones aren't.  The same could be said for raw/kibble feeding, for off lead walking, for crating/not crating in cars.

For me, I try to minimize the risks around the house that wearing collars could bring - and for me, it's worth the few risks left to have a collar on my girls 24/7.  For someone else it might not be.

However, as I said further up in my rambling, I don't leave them on young pups in crates.

Wendy

Wendy, you have said what i meant to say in a much more coherant way :lol: I like the collars on so i can grab hold of them if i need to and for ID purposes. Yes, my three are microchipped as well though.

Only difference is that i did have a small, quick release cat collar left on Holly when she was a small pup.

jok said:
Wendy, you have said what i meant to say in a much more coherant way :lol:    I like the collars on so i can grab hold of them if i need to and for ID purposes.  Yes, my three are microchipped as well though.
Only difference is that i did have a small, quick release cat collar left on Holly when she was a small pup.

ROFL - you thought that was coherent (w00t) WHEW! I thought everyone would think it pure rambling LOL.

I did use breakaway cat collars from about 8-10 weeks and didn't worry too much about those, but when I started using a 'real' collar they didn't stay on in the crate.

My girls are microchipped too, but I'd rather someone be able to bring them home than have to take them to the vet/rescue/etc to scan. For me the microchips are a backup if the collars get lost, or proof that I am the dog's owner if they were to be stolen.

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine never wear a collar in the house they are all hung up attached to the leads and are put on for walks, the only exception to this is when we are on holiday in the caravan incase they get out of the awning as the collars have their microchip tag on and my phone number.

When they are puppies I put a small collar on for a bit at a time in the house just to get them used to it, apart from soft bedding and water they don't have anything in their crates, except each other :huggles:

Good luck with your new puppy :luck: pics would be great if you get any :D

jok said:
As i said, each to there own.  How many dogs have their collars left on - how many end up getting strangled?  Chances must be about 1 in a million.  Depending on the collar, if they are in a crate i think it's very safe.  IMO!!!  I don't leave mine roaming around when im out where they could get a collar hooked.
It's like everything, people go into a mass panic when they see a horror story, even though the probabilty of it happening is extremely slim.

hardly mass panic, like you said "each to their own" but talking probabilty is no argument

Should have added I like it that way for comfort really it must be uncomfy wearing a big thick leather collar 24/7, they are in their crates when I'm out so they can't get up to mischeif anyway o:)

jean.dunbar said:
All our collars come off with the leads. Broader collars are kinder to long necks. If you plan to show your dog it is important to remember that leaving a collar on will mark the hair and effect the dogs line.  Good luck with the pup :luck:
Same here Jean - only collars on walks. :thumbsup: Never in a crate Id say or even in the house alone.

Mine wears hers all the time during the day but I take it off when she goes in her crate at night.

Back