The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Coprophilia

kala

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to introduce such an unsavory topic but just wondered if mine is the only whippy to suffer from this. Penny has been with us for nearly seven months and this only became apparent in the last couple of months. She does love to pick up sticks and cones or anything lying arround when out on her walks. Is this just an extension of this. I realise that to dogs this is not as disgusting a habit as it appears to us and if it only happened in our own garden I think I could cope but it is the thought of strange dogs and what diseases they may be carrrying etc that puts the wind up me. She loves to run offlead in the woods where we walk but I am getting nervous of letting her offlead as she seems to see this as an opportunity to gorge herself on what she can find. :x

Can anyone offer any advise please?

kala said:
Sorry to introduce such an unsavory topic but just wondered if mine is the only whippy to suffer from this. Penny has been with us for nearly seven months and this only became apparent in the last couple of months. She does love to pick up sticks and cones or anything lying arround when out on her walks. Is this just an extension of this. I realise that to dogs this is not as disgusting a habit as it appears to us and if it only happened in our own garden I think I could cope but it is the thought of strange dogs and what diseases they may be carrrying etc that puts the wind up me. She loves to run offlead in the woods where we walk but I am getting nervous of letting her offlead as she seems to see this as an opportunity to gorge herself on what she can find.  :x Can anyone offer any advise please?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but many whippets seem to have a liking for this! You can buy tablets from the pet shop, think they are called "Deter", or try adding pineapple to their food it can work for some dogs. There are many theories they do this - copying their mother as she cleans up after them when they are first born, lacking certain vitamins but once started it is very hard to break the habit.

Good luck! :blink:

Its a gross habit. Murphy is very ond of frozen turds cos he can play with them first!

Er coprophagia is the correct term, only reason I'm pointing this out is because coprophilia has a totally different meaning and I think you'll be shocked when you know what!

Google is your freind. :thumbsup:

Most whippies do this :( One of mine likes old cats pooh :x :x :x and sheeps droppings :x :x

Doesnt do anyharm as long as you keep them wormed!!!!

Looks like I am not alone. One of my other dogs had this problem but seemed to outgrow it. Think I am just p****d off tonight as I took her along a popular route today and it seems as if I am the only dog owner who actually lifts the dog poo. The path we walked along was a bit offputing when you looked carefully at where she was sniffing and I guess I should be grateful that she did not consume it all. :x :x :x

I tried the pineapple with my lot because my whipppie-boy is a poo-muncher. I had to give the pineapple to ALL of them though but they seemed to enjoy it. I don't know if it helped but I just kept the garden spotless and yelled at him if he munched on walks. He seemed to grow out of it but still does it occasionally.

:luck: Good luck - it's a tough one to crack

wild whippies said:
Er coprophagia is the correct term, only reason I'm pointing this out is because coprophilia has a totally different meaning and I think you'll be shocked when you know what!

pmsl!!!!!!!!! :lol: (w00t)

My TJ is the world's worst! I have tried everything since I had him (he was 2 when I got him and just turned 6 now) but still he does it! I either keep him on his lead or let him off and just don't watch him!!!

nooooo - turn your safe search on people before you ask google what coprophilia is!

There are some things you really really (and i mean really) don't wanna see

ok, coprohilia is new to me ( i speak greek but am struggling to understand)

can you please extend the knowledge you have, as sticks etc are normal.........

at least undesirable behaviour..........sorry

jinx and rubys mum said:
urchin said:
nooooo - turn your safe search on people before you ask google what coprophilia is!There are some things you really really (and i mean really) don't wanna see

I guess you were curious too Charlie? (w00t)

lol I already knew what it meant, was more of a warning to others - i am already mentally scarred from innocently following a linky thing .... NEVER AGAIN!

theres worse 'philias' than this you know,i once read a case about a serial killer who had every 'philia' known to the scientists interviewing him and then some! :- "

googled it............is that all ...........satisfaction from feaces............oh sh*t i can't

spell it.................its not that bad,,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
whippet wonder said:
googled it............is that all ...........satisfaction from feaces............oh sh*t i can't
spell it.................its not that bad,,,,,,,,

Erm you missed out the SEXUAL from that definition :(

Im just going to finish my curry!!!!!! :x

wild whippies said:

:lol: well ive better things to do than google a load of shite :lol: some sick folks in this world, :- "

If I don,t supply the pineapple chunks every now and again Rags is disgusting with her pooh gorging habit. :wacko: Nora

Back