The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Confused!

Jingles

Registered
Reaction score
Bit of an odd question this but anyway! :wacko:

I've got a 2 year old male whom I had castrated at the appropriate age. All went well with it and he looks as we expected with no sign of his 'balls' hanging down anymore.

However! When he gets excited (sometimes just generally if we've just got home or increasingly when he plays with his bits!) his balls seem to appear from nowhere!? He hasn't got the sac and you can't see them normally so what and why are they appearing??! He seems to be 'discovering' them and making them appear more and more often and he seems to us to be as boisterous etc as an uncastrated dog (I appreciate that castration doesn't always have an effect on them temperament wise though)

It really does seem to us that he's been done but his bits are still there, we could understand if they had tied them and left them in but wouldn't we still see them on the outside normally and wouldn't he have lost his 'urges'??

If anyones got any ideas/advice on this please let us know because it doesn't make sense to us and we starting to think we're mad, lol :clown:

Im sure the vets / veterninary nurses on K9 will be able to explain the castration procedure properly. :thumbsup: However, dogs / cats don't get their tubes tied like in a human vasectomy (leaving the testicles in place, and not losing any 'urges' as you put it!!), they have their testicles removed completely. I remember watching a few on work experience years ago!! They just made a slit in them and popped them out! :lol: The cats didn't even need stiches, just glue. :lol: Im sure you'll get a much more technical description of someone else ;)

Double post sorry :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that what you may be seeing is the bulbus glandis that becomes enlarged when the dog is excited, I have been confused by these before.

Malegenitals.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OEH said:
I think that what you may be seeing is the bulbus glandis that becomes enlarged when the dog is excited, I have been confused by these before.
Malegenitals.jpg

Thanks OEH!

I've just had a little read up on it and I think that's what it must be! I've not heard of this before so I feel a bit stupid now :b but if I hadn't of asked I'd still be in the dark and concerned!

Hee hee, I've done exactly the same thing :teehee:

Thing is with Lenny, he hasn't been castrated yet but both his testicles are retained. I spent a while trying to work out if these ball things were indeed his balls, and wondering why they were in such a funny place :lol:

Well you wont know if you dont ask. I think that is the gland that swells when they're mating which causes the 'tie'.

Linda

dessie said:
Jingles said:
I've got a 2 year old male whom I had castrated at the appropriate age.

Excuse the cynicism, but what is the 'appropriate age'???

Please be nice,this person has asked a genuine question and not tried to cause an argument and with your question there is only one way this thread is going to go.

It spoils the forum if everytime someone so much as mentions neutering there's going to be trouble.

:(

I doesnt matter about the age, more about the question she asked....

and was given lots of good answers, very interesting, i didnt know that cause i have girlys.... :thumbsup:

I agree, dont jump on people :( , just leave the girl alone and play nice :huggles: :- "

Many thanks to all those who posted helpful responses :)

In defence of the 'appropriate age' bit it was merely a figure of speech, I had him done at the age recommended by my vet - and I feel whether it was the 'correct' age or not is neither here nor there in this case

I'm not a breeder or involved in showing or racing, I'm just a loving owner of a whippet with a genuine concern for his welfare. I found my little boy through this forum and regularly view it for help and advice. So I find it a little harsh when asking a genuine question (and it appears I'm not the only one to have asked it or not known about it) to get negative responses, so thank you to those that backed me up on this. Not all of us are so called 'experts' and we shouldn't feel intimidated to post in case we get it 'wrong' when we are just seeking some help and information

Sorry for the rant but it got me rather annoyed :(

Jingles said:
Many thanks to all those who posted helpful responses  :)
In defence of the 'appropriate age' bit it was merely a figure of speech, I had him done at the age recommended by my vet - and I feel whether it was the 'correct' age or not is neither here nor there in this case

I'm not a breeder or involved in showing or racing, I'm just a loving owner of a whippet with a genuine concern for his welfare. I found my little boy through this forum and regularly view it for help and advice. So I find it a little harsh when asking a genuine question (and it appears I'm not the only one to have asked it or not known about it) to get negative responses, so thank you to those that backed me up on this. Not all of us are so called 'experts' and we shouldn't feel intimidated to post in case we get it 'wrong' when we are just seeking some help and information

Sorry for the rant but it got me rather annoyed  :(

I have a rescue male mixed breed who was castrated prior to us bringing him home (some 10 years ago)....he too shocked us when these "swellings" suddenly appeared , but as already stated by others here this is perfectly normal and they still appear when he`s happy even at the ripe old age of 12. :))

Sarah

oxana said:
Jingles said:
Many thanks to all those who posted helpful responses  :)

Sorry for the rant but it got me rather annoyed  :(

I have a rescue male mixed breed who was castrated prior to us bringing him home (some 10 years ago)....he too shocked us when these "swellings" suddenly appeared , but as already stated by others here this is perfectly normal and they still appear when he`s happy even at the ripe old age of 12. :))

Sarah

boys eh :wacko: :teehee: (w00t)

Back