The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Concerns for old dog

Tdx

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a female springer spaniel who is around 13 years old, she has a tumour which I have chosen not to remove because of her age, she is currently taking loxicom. Over the past few months she has become rather incontinant and she also has blood in her urine and she has become very thin, but these problems aside she is still eating well, doesn't defecate in the house (though she does sometimes struggle to go), she is very slow now and sleeps a lot, and I am quite happy to carry on this way, and at the last vet visit, he was ok with our situation.

My worry is though, am I doing the right thing for her, a couple of people have suggested that maybe it's time to let her go as her quality of life is not great, and believe me if I thought she was in great pain and distressed I would not hesitate to have her put to rest.

I would greatly appreciate some advise, especially if anyone has experienced a similar situation.

Hi, sorry to hear about your dog, I am also in similar situation with my 15 year old Labrador, he just been diagnosed with kidney failure, although he is still eating well, enjoying his walks, etc, so like you I am happy for him to continue like this. I am trusting that our dogs will let us know when had enough. Thinking if you. X

Thanks Brakenben, I guess I know deep down that I'll go with my gut feeling with her, you just doubt yourself, and obviously I'm dreading the end, hope your boy keeps his strength up. Cheers

In reality only you who know your dog fully can decide if it is still enjoying its life. If it is then let it carry on, if it isn't then it has reached the end. It is a horrible decision that we do all have to take at times but as long as you love your dog then you can decide when the time is right.

I think most dogs would keep going until thier bodies failed completely, no dog ever wants gives up but I think it's a balance.

We made the decision with our 16yr old retriever, she had severe arthritis but with pain relief it never stopped her. She ate welll and was happy in herself. We decided that when she could no longer take herself to the bathroom or follow us around that would be the moment. We have another 15 1/2 yr old that has a heart issue but again she is eating and moving around well, she has minimal medication which isn't causing issues but the same applies I don't want her to suffer.

Don't feel guilty for making the decision either, I'm sure there are people out there that would gave put her down straight away and not given her the chance. You clearly care for her and want whats best. xx

I can always remember an old friend saying many years ago, when you love your dog its better to be one day early than one day late.

And very good saying, and i will ensure I remember this, just had positive appointment with bracken at vets.going to start him on renal food diet, and see how we go.

We all have a duty to our dogs to do the right thing at the right time, we owe them that, if you have a good vet ask him and weigh it up with your own feelings, I put a dog to sleep last Monday because I thought it was the right time.

Back