The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Collars

llannon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Just wondered what sort of collars people recommend for a whippet, and what ages the collars are suitable from.

Any links appreciated...

Thanks,

Matt

Check out the FAQ area for starters, some good links on there :thumbsup:

I have recently scoured loads of sites, both UK and abroad, for nice adjustable leather martingale collars.

I have ordered from http://www.longdogleather.com/. I am having custom made collars, with stamps and their names stitched on. $35 each, which equates to about £20. I can't find anything on UK sites that looks the same quality for anywhere near that price. For custom made orders, the wait is 12 weeks! I've got about 6 to go now i think. I will e-mail the lady (who has been very helpful) with the measurements when she is about to start work on the collars. By this time my youngest, Holly, should be not a massive way from her eventual size.

I am also having matching leads, with my affix stitched down. They will be posh :lol:

I wouldn't spend a fortune on anything until the pup is nearing full size, or it will be a waste of money.

(w00t) There are some VERY NICE collars on that site!

Whilst still a small pup a cheap puppy collar from somewhere like Wilco`s will do fine :thumbsup:

we just recived a fab collar from australia, custom made from kangarro hide. very fast and excellent quality. the collar slip over dog head and is loose when not on a lead but gently get smaller when on the lead.

found on another thread, but contact details: lindameerman@hotmail.com

What is everyone's preference:

a. Flat straight collar

b. Hound collar (tapered)

c. Martingale collar

1. Leather

2. Nylon

What age would you consider moving up from a cheap puppy collar?

Many Thanks,

Matt

Forgot to add another option...

what sizes:

i. 1"

ii. 1.5"

iii. 2"

Sorry for the questions, but on a limited budget so thought i'd draw on the good advice from this forum.

Many Thanks

llannon said:
What is everyone's preference:
a. Flat straight collar

b. Hound collar (tapered)

c. Martingale collar

1. Leather

2. Nylon

What age would you consider moving up from a cheap puppy collar?

Many Thanks,

Matt

Hound, leather :thumbsup:

Must say, I might try the roo hide ones at some point in the future if mine wear out or bust. They look wonderful and I love the fact they are made to measure :thumbsup:

The one's i have ordered are leather tapered hound collars but are adjustable martingales too.

Frankie currently has a fabric martingale. I like martingales because he pulls and it does help. However, the fabric one has not worn well and to be honest looks scruffy with just a few months wear. I wouldn't re-order it put it that way.

Im buying the leather ones as they should last years.

In terms of size. I personally am having Holly's slightly thinner than Frankies. I think a finer collar looks nicer on bitches. Just my personal preference though

Hide and Collars has already been referred to. I would just like to sing the praises of the lady(Libby) who makes these collars and leads. We, today received an order from her which comprised six collars and four leads. The quality of the leather and the workmanship is absolutely second to none. Collars are lined with soft leather and everything is hand stitched. If you view this site Libby, take it from me ,this must be approaching as good as it gets. Could not be more pleased :)) . Hope you all like the pic. :thumbsup:

Hi I am the person who makes the made to measure kangaroo hide collars. I would recommend you wait until your whippet has finished growing before buying one of mine. If you want to see what they look like I have one listed on ebay at the moment. There's a thread titled Collars 'n coffee cups that will take you there.

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
kirislin said:
Hi I am the person who makes the made to measure kangaroo hide collars.  I would recommend you wait until your whippet has finished growing before buying one of mine.  If you want to see what they look like I have one listed on ebay at the moment.  There's a thread titled Collars 'n coffee cups that will take you there.

Linda

Collars 'n coffee cups took me to a page full of wedding gowns!!!!! :lol: (w00t)

I think we need the link

I also make leather collars from kangaroo hide and other leathers in a couple of styles.

Something handy for a pup still growing would be the Adjustable Limited Choke (or slip) collar or the Variable collar. Both are wide and soft with the luxury of fitting the dog now and for another 3 inches whilst still retaining the ability to reduce in circumference when required.

Sadly the camera is not here but will be back on the weekend and I could send you some photos then if you wish.

Feel free to email me at anytime. Julie

Seraphina said:
kirislin said:
Hi I am the person who makes the made to measure kangaroo hide collars.  I would recommend you wait until your whippet has finished growing before buying one of mine.  If you want to see what they look like I have one listed on ebay at the moment.  There's a thread titled Collars 'n coffee cups that will take you there.

Linda

Collars 'n coffee cups took me to a page full of wedding gowns!!!!! :lol: (w00t)

I think we need the link

How on Earth did you mangae that?? :lol: try this

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=24056

or better still this will take you straight to them

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZkirislinQQhtZ-1

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
llannon said:
Forgot to add another option...
what sizes:

i. 1"

ii. 1.5"

iii. 2"

Sorry for the questions, but on a limited budget so thought i'd draw on the good advice from this forum.

Many Thanks

Most of mine have buckle leather hound collars, with leather leads (I hate nylon leads) but a couple of them wear martingale collars. Rupert has a 1" trim martingale from Dogwalkers which I think comes up a tad wider by the time you take into account the webbing backing and he is fine in that but TJ (who doesn't really need a martingale but I don't like plastic snap buckles as I think they are very unsafe) has a 2" trim, from same place which I think is rather wide, I would have preferred 1.5" but I bought it for the trim and not the width!!!

In precis, I think I am saying that it depends on the individual dog as to how wide a collar you need!

Back