The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Cloud

alfie said:
I think it is you who has been lucky, Mally, if you can call your dogs back when they are hunting.My Whippet Sidney had never chased a thing in his life- he would only chase the lure if I ran with him :wub: , he was not even interested in chasing rabbits with Alfie! His recall from any distractions was fantastic.

The only time he EVER ran off, he went miles ahead, I don't know what they were chasing-Alfie went too. Sidney ran onto the road and was hit by a car. He died in my arms at the side of the road.

I have gone over and over that in my head since then, if only, etc, but I do not blame myself and don't you dare try and make Kirs think she is to blame. Whippets are hounds and will hunt. Being kept on a lead is not fair on them. My heart is in my mouth when I lose sight of my dogs on a walk, but I still let them off.

Kirs, I hope Cloud makes a speedy recovery, and is back home with you soon :luck:

Liz and the Monellis

i use my dogs for work therefore they are trained to a very high standard. This training is in my opinion vital for the dogs welfare especally whippets and other sighthounds. I call my dogs off a chase frequently and they obey immediately without hesitation. I see dogs running out of control almost daily do you say that this is the dogs fault? i don't give the dog a talking to i always talk to the owners who nearly always blame there dogs!!!!.

Dogs that worry sheep get shot by the farmer.The farmer asks no questions. In my opinion it's not the dogs fault it's the owners for not keeping it under proper control.

In the present climate all dog owners should know what there dog is chasing as we can all be prosecuted if they chase hare,fox,or deer under the new hunting bill.

i know that many accidents happen through freek events etc and i know what its like to lose a dog unexpected. I am not heartless anyone who knows me will tell you that. I was expressing my opinion and if you don't like my opinion then please don't read my posts.

I would be interested to know how you train them to have a 100% recall, as I would do anything to know I could call my dogs back from chasing anything.

My dogs are generally very obedient on a walk, and will always come back when called, but I could not guarantee they would definitely come back if they spotted something and gave chase. I can stop them if I see that they are about to take off, but if they've already gone after something, they go deaf :- "

So I am very vigilant on a walk, and really they only see crows and the odd rabbit on our field to chase after, but I would love to know I could trust them 100% to come back.

So I would be very interested to know your method, what age you start to let them off lead etc.

Liz and the Monellis

Ive been attending a dog obedience class with Kobi and teaching recall is quite hard.

My dog trainer says that especially with sighthounds it is extremly hard to teach recall and more so when they give chase to anything ...... he has been training dogs for a lot of years and says 'You may as well forget it - it goes out of the window when they chase anything live' and this applies to most breeds of dogs too, apart from the gundog breeds.

I know myself when Oscar and Kobi go off after anything - I may as well be invisible,shouting at deaf ears, and they have both been off the leader at quite a young age, but otherwise quite good at recall most other times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Janimal said:
Ive been attending a dog obedience class with Kobi and teaching recall is quite hard.  My dog trainer says that especially with sighthounds it is extremly hard to teach recall and more so when they give chase to anything ...... he has been training dogs for a lot of years and says 'You may as well forget it - it goes out of the window when they chase anything live' and this applies to most breeds of dogs too, apart from the gundog breeds.

I know myself when Oscar and Kobi go off after anything - I may as well be invisible,shouting at deaf ears,  and they have both been off the leader at quite a young age, but otherwise quite good at recall most other times.

the secret is with recall training is to teach it before the dog starts chasing things.

anything is possible if you put time and effort in. I've trained labradors and havn't found whippets any harder to train to recall, even when giving chase. You have to be firm with your dogs but not hard on them. All this treat training is all well and good for sitting and staying but it won't work for recall.

Always remember that you own the dog the dog doesn't own you.

My puppy is coming on really well and is now staying at heel whilst off the lead.

Poor Cloud, hope he's feeling better. :*

My gh was in a foster home in Ireland before he came to me and he ripped his leg open on barbed wire - not nearly as bad as Cloud. He has a massive scar on his front leg but it healed well and doesn't seem to bother him, although he ripped his stitches out which made it worse. :(

Get well soon Cloud, thinking of you Kirs - these thing do unfortunately happen.

mally said:
Janimal said:
Ive been attending a dog obedience class with Kobi and teaching recall is quite hard.  My dog trainer says that especially with sighthounds it is extremly hard to teach recall and more so when they give chase to anything ...... he has been training dogs for a lot of years and says 'You may as well forget it - it goes out of the window when they chase anything live' and this applies to most breeds of dogs too, apart from the gundog breeds.

I know myself when Oscar and Kobi go off after anything - I may as well be invisible,shouting at deaf ears,  and they have both been off the leader at quite a young age, but otherwise quite good at recall most other times.

the secret is with recall training is to teach it before the dog starts chasing things.

anything is possible if you put time and effort in. I've trained labradors and havn't found whippets any harder to train to recall, even when giving chase. You have to be firm with your dogs but not hard on them. All this treat training is all well and good for sitting and staying but it won't work for recall.

Always remember that you own the dog the dog doesn't own you.

My puppy is coming on really well and is now staying at heel whilst off the lead.

I totally agree with Mally,you may find it easier though, to train to a whistle,ours are all trained the same way as a gundog (OH trained Springers & Weimaraners) and they will turn immediately on the whistle even when giving chase.Also the whistle carries further than your voice.

Brian Plummer,a great well known Lurcher and Terrier Man always believed that your dog should NEVER be let off the lead in public places until it's recall was 100%.I like Mally tend to agree,as we have lost count of the amount of times we are tortured by dogs that just don't "listen" to their owners, whilst we have been

out with our own! I used to be quite sympathetic and wait for the person to come over to retrieve their dog,but now I've got that peed off with it all the time I just walk on with my own at heel off the lead.

Sorry,this has nothing to do with Cloud,justgot a bit side-tracked :b

Hope Cloud is on the mend :thumbsup:

Haven't got much to add to this thread except:

1) So sorry to hear what happened to Cloud. :eek:

2) I've got some work to do on recall with my two dogs... :sweating:

3) Mally - if your recall is so good...why is your dog missing and you're offering a reward for 50 quid :lol:

Mally - can Leia & I please come and stay withyou to be trained???? :D

I saw Cloud on Monday - he is such a mess but still managed his best tail wagg and roo roo to his Aunty Rae. :huggles:

I did take the camera.......but not the memory card so no photos sorry... :( :oops: :b

Kirs has Star's litter brother and they are soooo alike :wub:

And little Twiggy :wub: I dont think I saw her sit still or lie down (w00t)

Kirs - all the best to you and Cloud for his recovery. The thought of what he must have gone through whilst on that wire is horrifying. I send my love and thanks to the wonderful people who came to his rescue.

Mally - I don't doubt your word but if you can call a whippet back from a chase then you must have some pretty special training methods. You should be marketing them and making a fortune. I know some pretty obedient whippets and even their owners say that nothing will distract them from a chase.

I even have trouble getting my dogs to recall in my own yard - esp if they've got something they think I want to take off them eg Dino with mangoes :lol: or dead toads :x . Cash with a ball :angry: .

My Layla is pretty obedient - but on the two occasions she has set her sights on a rabbit whilst off lead there was NO calling her back.

best wishes for a speedy recovery for cloud :huggles:

what a horrible experience for you all to go through ,, thank god there are still nice people out there who will come to the aid of animals in need o:)

:luck: to you all :wub:

Nicola said:
Haven't got much to add to this thread except:
1) So sorry to hear what happened to Cloud.  :eek:

2) I've got some work to do on recall with my two dogs... :sweating:

3) Mally - if your recall is so good...why is your dog missing and you're offering a reward for 50 quid  :lol:

£50 ............ is that all???

It's the comment in the signature Dessie - the dog isnt really lost. :D

Hi all,

Cloud is doing amazingly well.

Back to his usual self but very annoyed not to be let off his lead anymore.

I wasn't supposed to walk him for another 2 weeks at least, mainly because of him scratching the wound but I have just been sticking to boring flat walks. He needed to get out and about because he was feeling a little depressed.

The wound is amazing. You can hardly tell the damage he had originally done.

Thanks to everyone for their concern.

sounds like the vet has done a good job :thumbsup:

keep up the recovery Cloud :luck: :luck: :luck:

Just caught up with this

SO glad that Cloud is doing well :huggles:

He's one lucky boy to be found by those kind people.

Sounds like my worst nightmare. Sam has been in a very similar situation b4. He's not been caught up on barbed wire but he HAS been trapped the other side of a barbed wire fence. He got himself through it somehow without harming himself, but couldn't get back. I knew something was very wrong when he didn't return after my 3rd call - the alarm bells sent off . . . . . I knew he'd shot thru a dense part of the woods & in fading darkness I fought my way thru brambles & God knows what else tearing myself to ribbons in the meantime :wacko: Anyway, I found him looking at me as if to say 'What took you so long then?'. I somehow got myself over this fence :b & was faced with a situation of how I get us both back again! Basically I had to pick Sam up & practically THROW him over!!!

And guess what?! Off he trundled as if nothing had happened. :p

So glad to hear that Cloud has pulled through after such a traumatic injury - what a truly awful thing for all concerned. Lots of :huggles: :huggles: to Cloud and here's hoping he continues his speedy recovery. He is one VERY lucky dog!

I'm soooo pleased he's getting better. :huggles:

Perhaps he'll be an o:) now and not do it again?? ;)

Back