The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Cesar Millan

I think that the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" could well be applied to some who follow these types of programmes slavishly. Yes, knowledge is power in the right hands, I am a firm believer in reading and research but, at the end of the day, I could read up on Neurosurgery, would that make me a brain surgeon? (w00t) NO - I would defer to someone with superior knowledge, skills and qualifications. I am a dog lover, dog owner and (I would like to think) a responsible one at that. If I had a dog training problem I would approach a reputable trainer whose methods I felt comfortable with. An hour watching a TV programme is not going to provide anyone with the necessary expertise.

:)

:thumbsup: i find these programs interesting viewing that's it, i don't necessarily practice what they preach, unfortunately how do you stop the kind of numpty that is going take everything as gospel and practice this new religion on their own dogs without true understanding

there are numb nuts out there that would 'have a go' at an emergency tracheotomy with an empty pen casing because they saw it on casualty

i do find all of these trainers and psychologist interesting (including Mr Millan) to watch and do compare their techniques to my own, i might even pick up the odd tip, i wouldn't dismiss anybody's technique that got results just because it wasn't for me or i didn't agree with it, i personally don't bother with clicker training as i tend to be controlling a large pack as a whole but can see it as a great tool for one to one sessions, nor do i alfa roll my dogs but then i don't need to,

so many problems are caused by our own incorrect body language, if people concentrated more on this and were consistant with it then dogs would find it easier to understand what you wanted of them, with horses and other large animals poor body language and reading of demeanor can get you killed or seriously injured, with dogs it can lead to uncontrolled dogs that are a danger themselves and others,

If you take one thing and one thing only from cesar, it's that a dog needs a confident leader not a submissive follower, whatever training techniques you use, now i'm not talking about beating into submission, alfa rolling or whatever, i'm talking about being a teacher, a protector, a provider, A LEADER.

your dog will probably understand your body language better than you, for example how many times have we heard of a dog being more protective of one family member than another? this is because the dog is given the cue that this person is in need of protection, should this person then project a more confident demeanor 99% of the time the dog will happily slip back into following mode.

for heavens sake stop fixating on one persons training technique as either the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since Hitler, just open your minds a little, take on board what you find acceptable and is useful for your dog and ignore the rest,

simples

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this would be a good idea for a new TV series? Could be fun to watch ;)

I'm very sad to see that Daddy, CM's pitbull, has died.

Whatever I may think of CM, Daddy was a wonderful dog and a fantastic ambassador for a his breed. RIP Daddy :(

:thumbsup: i find these programs interesting viewing that's it, i don't necessarily practice what they preach, unfortunately how do you stop the kind of numpty that is going take everything as gospel and practice this new religion on their own dogs without true understanding
there are numb nuts out there that would 'have a go' at an emergency tracheotomy with an empty pen casing because they saw it on casualty

i do find all of these trainers and psychologist interesting (including Mr Millan) to watch and do compare their techniques to my own, i might even pick up the odd tip, i wouldn't dismiss anybody's technique that got results just because it wasn't for me or i didn't agree with it, i personally don't bother with clicker training as i tend to be controlling a large pack as a whole but can see it as a great tool for one to one sessions, nor do i alfa roll my dogs but then i don't need to,

so many problems are caused by our own incorrect body language, if people concentrated more on this and were consistant with it then dogs would find it easier to understand what you wanted of them, with horses and other large animals poor body language and reading of demeanor can get you killed or seriously injured, with dogs it can lead to uncontrolled dogs that are a danger themselves and others,

If you take one thing and one thing only from cesar, it's that a dog needs a confident leader not a submissive follower, whatever training techniques you use, now i'm not talking about beating into submission, alfa rolling or whatever, i'm talking about being a teacher, a protector, a provider, A LEADER.

your dog will probably understand your body language better than you, for example how many times have we heard of a dog being more protective of one family member than another? this is because the dog is given the cue that this person is in need of protection, should this person then project a more confident demeanor 99% of the time the dog will happily slip back into following mode.

for heavens sake stop fixating on one persons training technique as either the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since Hitler, just open your minds a little, take on board what you find acceptable and is useful for your dog and ignore the rest,

simples
couldn`t agree more Beaker

I'm very sad to see that Daddy, CM's pitbull, has died.
Whatever I may think of CM, Daddy was a wonderful dog and a fantastic ambassador for a his breed. RIP Daddy :(
:( That is sad news, as FeeFee says, he was a wonderful dog and, whatever our opinions +/- regarding Cesar Millan, nobody could dispute the bond he seemed to have with Daddy.

I think that the rapper guy (Redmond I think?) gifted Daddy to CM when he found that his lifestyle was not compatible with owning a dog.

Yes Daddy did originally belong to another guy, a rap artist, who took Daddy to Cesar at 4 months old and said he wanted 'a dog, not a lawsuit'. So Cesar bought him up and Daddy would stay with Cesar when the guy was travelling. Then like Lal said above he gifted him to Cesar.

I loved Daddy! Best bit of the programme!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great name for that type of dog as well, although obviously the 'rap' influence had a lot to do with it. Cue for another thread possibly on dog names, particularly as mine has quite an unusual name! RIP Daddy x

Sorry to hear about Daddy ... What a dog he was :wub: ....... Cesar has the training of pack dogs and pets spot on .. Just a shame most owners don't know what they are taking on ...

Just been reading the terrierman who is very interesting
Check this http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2010/...nditioning.html
That's a very interesting article and puts across well how operant conditioning works. This is the type of training I use (it's nothing new) and I find it works without terrorising, physically hurting or inflicting fear on a dog.

I have no respect for anyone who cannot train a dog effectively without resorting to causing pain or terror.

Just been reading the terrierman who is very interesting
Check this http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2010/...nditioning.html
That's a very interesting article and puts across well how operant conditioning works. This is the type of training I use (it's nothing new) and I find it works without terrorising, physically hurting or inflicting fear on a dog.

I have no respect for anyone who cannot train a dog effectively without resorting to causing pain or terror.

It explains the need for balance, all three tools need to be used to get good results that work in all situations. One without the other two is just half a job, each one has its own place and when to use them is what makes a skilled teacher,

Its common sense

Did anyone see Cesar Milan on The One Show last night?

I thought he looked like a rabbit startled in the headlights when asked how to train two dogs to stop pulling. All he could come up with was to loosen the lead and muttered something about positive energy. Yes the dogs had sat down by then but that could just be boredom.

Did you notice how Christine corrected Adrian when he called Cesar a dog trainer? He cannot be called that because he has been sued in the States. He also repeated that people should not try his methods at home. What good is that to anyone?

It is a shame because deep inside him I think he has what it takes to be a good dog trainer. He has just been seduced by money. The people around him demand quick and "interesting" results for their tv footage. He therefore has to use force when he cannot get the results he needs.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if he came over here and trained with an organisation like COAPE or APBC to fully understand the way dogs think. He could then use his celebrity status for the good of all the dogs being abused in the name of dog training

Blimey ive never seen two spaniels get bored in the space of two seconds :teehee:

Have a read at the link I put on a few posts back.... it really does show why some people, me included, think Cesar is brilliant

Back