The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Can't decide!

Wendy07

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, our family have decided to add a dog to our house. We have a cat and two children aged 11 and 13. We ideally want a small or medium sized dog but can't decide which one to look at as there's too many available. I've had a dog before a Labrador but we want something smaller but as easy to train and loving. We can provide lots of space at home and in the garden and have lots of nice walking areas on our doorstep.

Could you share any breeds (including cross breeds) that you feel would meet what we are after and say why they make good pets.

Thanks in advance X

Hmm...trainable often means smart and smart often means has own agenda! Border collies for instance. If you like labs why not look for a small labradoodle (a lab mum x with miniature poodle dad), sweet, trainable and smaller- a lot of people will recommend a cockerpoo but I do know one that is hyper-hyper (I've had spaniels and they are wonderful if you have the seven hours a day to devote to them) so think the spaniel has got the upper hand with this one...of course whippets are a great choice for a family, quite active but lazy once walked and nice natured. Our lab x whippet was a wonderful boy.

Can I add two things: if you're buying a pedigree or designer dog please only from a reputable kennels? Puppy farms and 'dealers' are everywhere and you'll get a sickly puppy born out of suffering. Also ask about COI if it's a pedigree. (Co efficient of inbreeding). This tells you how inbred a puppy is and what are its chances for a long and healthy life. Basically the closer to zero the better.

Good luck. I hope you and your family get the dog of your dreams.

What a nice informative reply ! :thumbsup:

I think we all would recommend our own favourites! But things to consider; exercise needs, coat (non shedding might be good but you will have costs for clipping), cost of feeding (how much or little the dog will eat), longevity, insurance costs, inherent health conditions. Do you live near a rescue centre where you could see different breeds?

How much time do you have to exercise your chosen breed? It is a huge factor in choice of dog.

Dogs fall into groups. Hounds, working breeds, gun dogs etc. Most are bred for a specific kind of work and so will be challenging to own if their needs are not met. The group that is bred to be a pet is the toy group. These include dogs like the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, the Papillon and Yorkshire Terrier. If you go to the Kennel Club website they have a facility to help you choose your breed.

Pedigree dogs have lots of health problems caused by selecting for show ring fashions. The Cavalier is one that has lots of problems so you would have to do a great deal of research to find a breeder that is breeding specifically for health (they all say they are) rather than show ring rosettes. The same goes for lots of breeds. Cross breeds are healthier but can still inherit something from either parent's breed.

You are doing the right thing, already, by seeking advice from forums like this. Be aware that Puppy Farmers are very crafty, now, about hiding the fact that the puppies are from one of these dreadful places. They will meet you somewhere away from the puppy farm.

A puppy of any breed is best born into a family home where it will be handled from birth. The mother will have been health checked and have certificates to prove it and vaccinated. The father will have had the same health checks appropriate to the breed. The litter will have been kept warm and well fed and exposed to all the household noises since birth. The breeder should ask you as many, if not more, questions as you ask them. They should care deeply about where their puppies are going. A good sign is if they offer to take the dog back should it ever be necessary to re home it. Never be persuaded to take more than one puppy at a time. Have an exit strategy if you are not happy with what you see when you visit. Good breeders, of pedigrees, have waiting lists for puppies and do not breed until they know they have sufficient interest to warrant bringing a new litter into the world.

I am a fan of Whippets and also of Beagles. They are both in the Hound group, though, and will love to hunt if given the chance!

Good Luck

Hello, I think if you contacted a good rescue like blue cross or the dogs trust you would be able to talk to them about what you could or couldn't work with and they will help match you to your new family member !

Back