The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Can You Give Dogs Human Antihistamine

becpeters

Registered
Reaction score
Its now joshy's turn to have a rash corners of mouth gone puffy and bumps over his head the same as what Harley had before.. and I couldn't find the old posts about who has given what medicine to their dogs, I though I read somewhere that with rashes swelling etc it was ok to give them human antihistamine ie piriton or benadryl is this the case??? please can someone help me?

I work in a Vet Surgery and they actually stock piriton on the shelves and dispense them.

This is ok to give your doggie, hope Joshy is better soon.

If this fails to work, maybe take him to the vet for some antibiotics...

Any questions you need to ask i will ask at work and get back to you if necessary.

--------------------------------------------------

[SIZE=14pt]Midnight Runner[/SIZE]

thanks for you help will try the piriton first then if not will get staright up vets tomorrow.....

x

becpeters said:
thanks for you help will try the piriton first then if not will get staright up vets tomorrow.....
x

-------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck, hope it works for you :luck:

We've given a piriton to 4 of our dogs for one reason or another and they have always been fine. I was advised to give them by my Vet.

One person on K9 did find their dog was sick after taking one.

Hope Josh is OK.

what dose do you think would be right I have given him 1 this morning at 10 am, would I give it then same as a child dose????? or just the one..

Piriton 4mg...its the same as piriton you can buy over the counter for humans.

I've given my own antihistamine to one of my dogs as a last resort, it was a 10mg cut in half, its not ideal but if its all you've got it won't hurt just once, I use cetirizine which is a non drowsy drug.

Benadryl is not advised for dogs, can't remember why though.

My boxer Zoe was stung by something,not sure what and her face went all lumpy and swelled up.

She was prescribed two piriton three times a day. She weighs around twenty one kilos. HTH :))

thanks for all your help, the piriton did work, he's back to his usual handsome self now... thanks again

Back