The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Can You Believe This?!!!!!!!

What an unutterably stupid thing - for you to be told to let the dogs back on to the road!

Good grief...

I hope you got that person's name, to go into your letter of complaint.

Well done you, for catching the dogs. They are so lucky.

Gill

How awful!

Hope their owners are loving peeps who cant wait to have them back

Mike from Hereford said:
Well Done Steve & June,
I know the area well and I,m sure you stopped certain carnage.I suspect you spoke to the control room staff or even the front desk.No excuse mind you for their stupid advice.

I,d get in touch with the Hereford Times.

Hope the dogs find new caring owners (Steve needs the terrier !! (w00t) )

Mike

Kim and Tilly said:
kirislin said:
Appalling!  Tell a TV station.I wonder if they'll bother to give them food & water while they are in the lock up.  somehow I doubt it.

Linda

Just because there was an unsimapthtic (sp) control operator who obvously needs retraining and in which you need to make a complant about, dosent mean that you can accuss the police of not looking after the dogs at the station in which they were taken they will be fed and watered...

Why does it always get down to oh the police are crap...the operator was crap (there police staff) :rant:

You won't have spoken to a police officer, it will have been the control room staff. Sorry to disappoint everyone who think's that all police officers are crap. (which seems to be a favourite topic on this board)

Well done June for spending your day helping these dogs. :thumbsup:

jok said:
Mike from Hereford said:
Well Done Steve & June,
I know the area well and I,m sure you stopped certain carnage.I suspect you spoke to the control room staff or even the front desk.No excuse mind you for their stupid advice.

I,d get in touch with the Hereford Times.

Hope the dogs find new caring owners (Steve needs the terrier !! (w00t) )

Mike

Kim and Tilly said:
kirislin said:
Appalling!  Tell a TV station.I wonder if they'll bother to give them food & water while they are in the lock up.  somehow I doubt it.

Linda

Just because there was an unsimapthtic (sp) control operator who obvously needs retraining and in which you need to make a complant about, dosent mean that you can accuss the police of not looking after the dogs at the station in which they were taken they will be fed and watered...

Why does it always get down to oh the police are crap...the operator was crap (there police staff) :rant:

You won't have spoken to a police officer, it will have been the control room staff. Sorry to disappoint everyone who think's that all police officers are crap. (which seems to be a favourite topic on this board)

Well done June for spending your day helping these dogs. :thumbsup:

Not thought of as crap in this household

keith

Kim and Tilly said:
kirislin said:

Linda

no need to shake your fist at me!! From what was originally said, that they were advised to let the dogs fend for themselves on the busy road, then that the only person on the desk was scared of dogs I somehow cant see her then going in & caring for the dogs. I never said the police are Crap. Settle down, go & have a cup of tea. :thumbsup:

Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
kirislin said:
Kim and Tilly said:
kirislin said:

Linda

no need to shake your fist at me!! From what was originally said, that they were advised to let the dogs fend for themselves on the busy road, then that the only person on the desk was scared of dogs I somehow cant see her then going in & caring for the dogs. I never said the police are Crap. Settle down, go & have a cup of tea. :thumbsup:

Linda

Yes true but by someone who defanetly needs retraining :angry: ....but you went on to mention that they probably woundnt have been fed and given water at the police station in which they were taken, that is an unfair statement.. :(

Well done to you both for doing such a kind loving deed. You probably saved their lives. Poor dogs they must be so frightened. I'd get in touch with the local paper. You never know they might even get a good home through the story if they are not claimed by their owners.

Kirsty

Linda

Yes true but by someone who defanetly needs retraining :angry: ....but you went on to mention that they probably woundnt have been fed and given water at the police station in which they were taken, that is an unfair statement.. :(

Having worked as a dog warden and seen what police do all day, I can assure you dogs do not get food - sometimes they may get a bowl of water - and are left,often all night, before the dog warden is able to get them. To say police 'kennels' are crap, is an understatement :rant:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

June Jonigk said:
We are still in shock and dismay :( This morning we were working in the garden when we noticed the traffic slowing down outside our house.  We live on the main Hereford to Abergavenny road which is 60mph limit, and cars passing our house are normally doing that speed - so we went outside to investigate.  There were 3 dogs running loose in the road, and luckily the cars had slowed down before any of them were hit.  I called them to me - a blue lurcher, black and tan x bred, and a small terrier, it looked like a cross between a heeler and a JRT.  The JRT and black and tan came straight to me, and I called them in towards the garden, the lurcher followed reluctantly.  I managed to get them inside and shut the gate.  Steve tried to put them on leads, and when he went towards the lurcher, it went for him.  I think it was frightened.  I gave them some treats, and the lurcher took a while to take something from me, but would not let me put a lead on him.  We rang the police, who said they wouldn't be able to get hold of the dog warden as it was a bank holiday, and that the police couldn't pick up dogs in their cars - even the dog handlers, as they weren't allowed to due to health and safety rules!  We said we had nowhere to keep them, and wait for it - they suggested we let them go back on the road :rant:   :rant: Can you believe it? :rant:

We said "WHAT :eek:   - ON THE A465?"  "They, and possibly someone else could get killed - they could cause a pile up"  She replied that she understood how we felt, but there was nothing they could do.  The only thing she could suggest was that we brought them down to the station ourselves. I explained that the lurcher would need catching with a noose pole, and she said again to let them back on the road.

In despair, we tried to get them in the van.  The friendly two jumped in, and the lurcher followed - ok we thought - until Steve tried to get in the van, and the lurcher was guarding it!!!  Eventually Steve managed to get in, but it was a bit scary :wacko:   The little terrier (very friendly) jumped through to the front seats, and put it's head on Steve's lap.  (He's fallen in love with it now!) He drove them to the police station where he was met by a woman on the desk who said she was scared of dogs, and on her own, so Steve would have to put them in the kennels :unsure:   As it happened the two friendly ones went straight in, and the lurcher followed.  It was not a nice place, dark with no windows.  Now we can't stop thinking about them.

We still can't believe that the police were willing to leave these dogs on the road where they could have caused a major accident.  We would like to complain to someone - but who?

:thumbsup: Well done for helping these 3 dogs :thumbsup:

Well done Steve an June for helping these dogs :thumbsup:

It makes this laughable though:-

Hereford Police

West Mercia Police

Description: Police force covering Herefordshire, Worcestershire, and Shropshire

Organisation Type: Governmental

Address: PO Box 55

Worcester

WR3 8SP

Worcestershire

Telephone: 08457 444 888

E-mail: contactus@westmercia.pnn.police.uk

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external websites

Start Date: Sun 01th, January 1967

Awards: West Mercia Police have been awarded a Charter Mark - a government scheme that recognises and encourages excellence in public service - and was also re-awarded the Investors in People award earlier in 2005.

not so excellent in public service as they would like people to believe... :rant:

I,ve got serious admiration for the police, its a poorly paid job, for what they have to endure.Hereford is like other citys on an evening, its drunken yobs causing mayhem, the Hereford Times can be like a dossier of violent/anti social incidents.

Some children have ASBO as their middle name.

Yes we have all known bad police officers, I have seen several who haved behaved like hooligans at footy games, actually instigating conflict "Having some fun" etc.

That said, I would suggest the average police officer to be a decent sort, doing a professional job for the public.

But back to Junes post, the advice given, is just mind boggling nonsense. :rant: The Hereford/Abergavenny road is nothing short of a race track at times, and with 3 dogs roaming on it could of caused carnage.

Mike

Mike from Hereford said:
I,ve got serious admiration for the police, its a poorly paid job, for what they have to endure.Hereford is like other citys on an evening, its drunken yobs causing mayhem, the Hereford Times can be  like a dossier of violent/anti social incidents.

Yes we have all known bad police officers, I have seen several who haved behaved like hooligans at footy games, actually instigating conflict "Having some fun" etc.

That said, I would suggest the average police officer to be a decent sort, doing a professional job for the public.

But back to Junes post, the advice given, is just mind boggling nonsense. :rant: The Hereford/Abergavenny road is nothing short of a race track at times, and with 3 dogs roaming on it could of caused carnage.

Mike

Thats what i was trying to say :- "

Def needs reporting....stupid lady has no sense :wacko:

Kim and Tilly said:
Mike from Hereford said:
I,ve got serious admiration for the police, its a poorly paid job, for what they have to endure.Hereford is like other citys on an evening, its drunken yobs causing mayhem, the Hereford Times can be  like a dossier of violent/anti social incidents.

Mike

Thats what i was trying to say :- "

Def needs reporting....stupid lady has no sense :wacko:

I would agree that maybe it does need reporting as it was stupid advise. Im not defending this lady but she probably just didn't know what to suggest. We can't go and collect stray dogs, end of story. The kennels are generally crap, but then again we're not a dogs home. Also, on bank holidays we run with minimum staffing levels.

Maybe ring up and complain to the control room supervisor, i don't think it's a matter to take to the chief constable.

Find it diabolical that authorities were unwilling to help out here initially. Could the police not see how allowing 3 dogs to run about on a highway could cause a major traffic accident. Seems inane that they were unwilling and quick to pass the buck.

Well done for persisting and getting these dogs to safety.

Hope there is a knowledgeable person able to oversee all of this, hate to think how these dogs will fair if they are just shut away. The lurcher sounds nervous

and will need a gentle reassuring approach, can't help but feel very anxious about him.

you were lucky to be able to report the incident to the police,we went to our local police station 2 weeks ago at 2.15pm on a wednesday afternoon to report crimal damage to both my husbands car & mine,it was shut! came home phoned the station still no answer,left message on the community police officers number for our area,& still waiting to hear ,we know we never will though &we know who did it!!! :rant: :rant:

trac said:
you were lucky to be able to report the incident to the police,we went to our local police  station 2 weeks ago at 2.15pm on a wednesday afternoon to report crimal damage to both my husbands car & mine,it was shut! came home phoned the station still no answer,left message on the community police officers number for our area,& still waiting to hear ,we know we never will though &we know who did it!!! :rant:   :rant:
same here, damage to my car damage to another old chaps car up the street, i asked him if he had reported it to the police, his answer was im frightened of the consequencies, this used to be a lovely little village, im not from the parts but i regret moving here, few months ago this druggy was shot and killed in her bed, next street to me, this very day, the police were out in force cos there was this bloke wielding a samurai sword, they had to use a stun gun on him, i like to walk my dogs last thing at night, my lady is a bag of nerves till i get back home, so what am i sposed to do stop in, no thanks i will not be intimidated, oh i nearly forgot, yesterday this bloke walked up my street openly carrying a shot gun, ive been at this address now 20 yrs or more, never once have i seen a police officer.

keith

Having worked as a dog warden and seen what police do all day, I can assure you dogs do not get food - sometimes they may get a bowl of water - and are left,often all night, before the dog warden is able to get them. To say police 'kennels' are crap, is an understatement :rant:

Thankyou Roedeane

Linda

I feel that I am continually having to defend the Police on here these days but I can only speak from personal experince.

I hate to see dogs in the stray kennels at any time and I always look in the stray kennels to see whats in when I visit the Custody suites(The majority of Kennels are just outside the Custody block) and I agree that they are not suitable to keep dogs in for any length of time. However I do not agree that they are not provided with water or food as I have seen that they are and in most cases they are given blankets from the Custody suites to lie on. A great many Police Officers have dogs of their own as both pets and for working and dont like the dogs to be there any more than anyone else does.

It has also been the case on some nights when some strays have been brought in to Custody (completely against the rules I might add ) which recently resulted in one of the suites having to be closed to be defleaed afterwards(w00t)

Over the past few years the care of strays has shifted from the Police to the Dog wardens so have a go at the councils who do not provide 24 hour cover 365 days a year. It is not the Polices fault that the dogs are having to be kept overnight is it?

Getting back to the original thread the advice given to the original poster was totally stupid and irresponsible and a complaint should be made to stop it happening again but as already stated the majority of staff the public initially come into contact with now adays are civilian and not Police Officers.

Well done to you for getting them off the streets and getting them in to a place of safety, it is just a pity that there was nothing in place to support you once you had them in your care.

Jan Doherty said:
Getting back to the original thread the advice given to the original poster was totally stupid and irresponsible and a complaint should be made to stop it happening again but as already stated the majority of staff the public initially come into contact with now adays are civilian and not Police Officers.
I can't help agreeing that the person on the end of the phone who advised about the dogs wasn't a police officer, but someone in an admin call centre set up to deal with initial calls from the public. Seems to be the way these things are dealt with these days. It's not uncommon with most of the emergency services now.

Really daft advice.....thank goodness you managed to avert a serious incident.

we found a dog out of hours a few years back and took him to the police station. We were not allowed to leave an old blanket from our car in the bare kennel with him for 'Health & Safety reasons'. :( I wished we had just kept him overnight ourselves and to the kenels the next day.

:luck: to the dogs to finding a good home.

Back