The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Can I Show Blue?

Moo.UK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all :)

I got little Blue (He's 7 months today! :cheers: ) last week and he's a gorgeous little fella :wub:

I have no clue whatsoever about showing! i noticed a ringcraft class poster in the vets lastnight and thought it might be nice to go along.

I was wondering if i'll be able to take him to any shows?... He is pedigree and was kept on by his breeder til 5 1/2 months, presumably with a view to showing - i have no idea why they decided not to keep him?

How does showing work? i've heard mention of a points system?.. does this determine what shows a dog can enter? :unsure: Sorry, i really am clueless! :blink:

Oh, he is neutered - i don't know if this is a problem show wise?

Thanks, Emma :)

two_whippets.JPG

He's been castrated hasn't he? I'm not sure you can show neutered dogs (unlike cats)!

Elizabeth

There was quite recently a thread about showing desexed dogs here on K9. I can not remember what the conclusion was, but I don't think it is very common. Have a look through the archives.

Blue looks very handsome. Could it be his breeders castrated him because one of his testicles didn't drop? In that case I doubt you could show him.

You could do Companion Shows, I think. And Novelty-type shows at agricultural events. They're fun :thumbsup:

bardmand said:
There was quite recently a thread about showing desexed dogs here on K9. I can not remember what the conclusion was, but I don't think it is very common. Have a look through the archives.

I think you will find that the consensus was that you would be wasting your money! You could show him at Exemption shows (or whatever they are called these days) but even in those Pedigree classes I don't think a judge would place a castrated dog highly.

The breed standard states:

Male animals should have two apparently normal testicles fully desended into the scrotum.

The reason for this in my opinion is that not only should the dog be judged against the breed standard but also against its ability to A, do the job it was breed for,

B, the ability/quality to be able to reproduce this.

As stated, if I was you and you still want to show him go along to the fun days, its a great way to get started in showing and you will have loads of fun. :luck:

:cheers:

Bring him racing Emma - we aren't so finicky about what your dog looks like ... and he will like racing far more :D

perhaps the breeder had him neutered early as he was sure Blue wasn't good show quality? I think I read somewhere else that he was quite tall for a whippet?

(looks lovely anyway, they can't all be show dogs)

I thought neutered dogs were ineligible for the pedigree show ring, but I read the following in the schedule of an Open Show run under Kennel Club rules and regulations (UK) re preparing dogs for exhibition

"No act or operation which alters the natural conformation of a dog or any part thereof may be performed except: -

a Operations certified to the satisfaction of the General Committee

b The removal of dewclasws of any breed.

c The shortening of tails of customarily docked breeds but only up to an acceptable age limit which will [be] prescribed from time to time.

c Operations to prevent breeding, provided that such operations are notified to the Kennel Club before neutered dogs are shown.

Nor must anything be done, calculated in the the opinion of the General Committee, to deceive."

so what is the procedure for notifying the General Committee. I should think judges would need a certificate certifying a dog had normal testicles before he was neutered. I have never heard of this being done.

presumably a spayed bitch would also require notification to the KC, though I don't suppose judges would notice the operation scars as they don't look down and scrutinise that area of anatomy to that extent.

I've heard that you can show boys with out their bits but they will loose points, its not so bad for the girls as their scar from the op cant be seen.

dessie said:
bardmand said:

I think you will find that the consensus was that you would be wasting your money! You could show him at Exemption shows (or whatever they are called these days) but even in those Pedigree classes I don't think a judge would place a castrated dog highly.

My Archie has no balls, and he won best in hound group at an exemption show at Frampton last year, in fact, every show he's entered he has been placed first second or third in quite large groups :thumbsup: It's no problem with the open shows, just go for it :thumbsup: :luck:

I know someone who shows her neutered dalmatians, one of each sex. I asked her about showing a castrated male. She said she sent a veterinarians letter to the kennel club, which gave the date of the operation and stated that the dog was normal, complete (i.e, not cryptorchid). So presumably the judges know that if a dog has kennel club permission to compete he was normal before the operation. I still think many judges would be loath to put up a male without intact testicles. that doesn't go for all judges obviously, as Joanna testifies.

I find it amazing that Blue has been castrated so young! Most vets prefer to do them at at least a year old.

Don't waste money with open shows, go to all the fun and Companion Shows, plus racing, that is more fun!!!!!!! He will love it. :cheers:

You can show a castrated dog or a spayed bitch now all you need to do is write and inform the kennel club it has been done.

For companion shows I would say it does not matter as they are are meant for people starting out on showing and for having fun and I have seen dogs win best in show who have been done.

Weather or not you would win anything at a proper show ie open or champ show even tho you are entitled to enter is another matter!

Best of luck whatever you decide :))

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past! I couldn't work out why I was seeing so many people posting on this thread when I hadn't seen them on k9 for yonks! :wacko: :lol:

Me too - the original poster has not been on k9 for 2 years now!! :lol:

I'm here! (w00t)

Thanks for the email Macha

thought i'd not signed in for a while - but didn't think two years had passed!!

I really must have been having alot of fun! ( i wish...)

Blue & Ten are both fine & dandy - Ten will be 5 in a week & Blue will be 4 soon after - they are still like little babies to me though! :huggles:

We've been to a few little fun doggie days & they enjoy that & most recently we all got dressed up to go to whitby pirate day & raised plenty of money for the RNLI too!

Hope everyone is well, Emma :D

boo.JPG

rls22 said:
Me too - the original poster has not been on k9 for 2 years now!!  :lol:
I remember, in the early 1990s, when a spayed Sheltie bitch won the group at Crufts & won several BIS at champ shows in the same year. It was no secret she was spayed. Anne Roslyn-Williams (I think that was her name), & others, writing in Dog World used to get so het up about it but the bitch kept winning anyway.

nice to hear from you, Emma (Moo). I have 4 and 5 year old dogs also and they still have loads of energy; one races but the 5 year old who had to be retired due to a foot injury (sustained while out walking!) is the most energetic and loves to play. That's a lovely photo of Blue, a handsome fellow.

Back