The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Can I Have Some Advise Please ??

Dylan's Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Just asking for a bit of advise really please, on puppy nipping,

The vet told me that it will get alot worse before it will get better, she said that when she starts teething it will get worse then, ..... which it has lol,

Thing is I really want to nip this in the bud (no pun lol), I have tryed a varity of methods on Smirnoff and given them each all a desent amount of time but they didn't work.

I was recomended to give a light tap on the nose by my mate, but that didn't work at all, tryed clapping hands to distract her, didn't work, she just jumped up and it exsited her more.

tryed a little purfume spray bottle filled with water, that has had some sucksess, but not enough.

I have now started to remove her from the room for 5-10 minets when she ackts up, this is working a little but not really enough.

she isn't constantly nipping she is very soft and gentel the rest of the time. :wub: it is just the odd time in the day when she becomes really over exsited.

so I think it is mainly her teeth that are making her play up.

can anybody give me some advise on ideas ???

or am I exspecting to much for this problem to have gone by now ? :blink:

(she is 4 1/2 months old)

Last edited by a moderator:
its all part of growing up for the pup, its only doing what all pups do .give it som.e cow hide chews and toys.they do grow out of it. (w00t)

Lots of doing one thing and he will soon get it, i find the removel from the room is working

Also was advised a rolled up slightly damp flannel put in the freezer for him to chew sooths the pain

We had that problem with Murphy. Whenever he got nippy we just stopped whatever we were doing and ignored him completely. He soon learnt and even now if he gets a little overexcited all we do is freeze and he stops instantly. Like you we were worried about it, but it does honestly get better (Murphy is now 10 months and has not nipped for about 3 months).

yes ignoring them completely will work,try turning your back on them and totally ignoring them,works a treat :thumbsup:

Molly was a NIGHTMARE for months, as soon as she started we just got up and walked off. It took a while but she did grow out of it.....eventually :lol: I think some take a bit longer than normal :devil:

im a bit old fashioned i was always told to treat the pup as its mum would and mum wouldnt tolerate this sort of thing.i used to just pinch their ear between my fingers just enough to make it uncomfortable so the pup would stop.it always worked for me.but i did have a tougher breed than whippets and from what i know about them on here they can be quite sensitive dogs

trish g said:
yes ignoring them completely will work,try turning your back on them and totally ignoring them,works a treat :thumbsup:
This seems to be the best method .... seen by the dog as rejection by pack leader which is not a nice thing in the canine world :(

I've been very lucky as neither of mine have had teething problems but if Jinny got over-excited I would just give her one of her own toys to chew on and walk away :) She has had perfect manners since she was around 5 months old :thumbsup: Ella has never shown any interest in using her teeth on humans - just carpets and Jinny (w00t) :wacko:

another tip , if the above dont work is when she does get giddy and start nipping , walk towards her , like you are invading her space and she has to back off from you .

this is basically you taking controll of the situation and pushing her away from you , with your body not hands etc .

keep yourself very upright and walk at her untill she submits :thumbsup:

diffrent methods work for diffrent dogs , good luck , it will stop as they get older but try to controll it now :thumbsup: :luck:

Dylan said:
The vet told me that it will get alot worse before it will get better, she said that when she starts teething it will get worse then,  ..... which it has lol,

Thing is I really want to nip this in the bud (no pun lol), I have tryed a varity of methods on Smirnoff and given them each all a desent amount of time but they didn't work.

I was recomended to give a light tap on the nose by my mate, but that didn't work at all,  tryed clapping hands to distract her, didn't work, she just jumped up and it exsited her more. 

tryed a little purfume spray bottle filled with water, that has had some sucksess, but not enough.

I have now started to remove her from the room for 5-10 minets when she ackts up, this is working a little but not really enough.

she isn't constantly nipping she is very soft and gentel the rest of the time.  :wub:   it is just the odd time in the day when she becomes really over exsited.

or am I exspecting to much for this problem to have gone by now ?  :blink:

Dog nips you, you nip dog, do as mum would, like ive had to do, on all 4s, nip the dogs lughole, it'll stop it

midlanderkeith said:
Dylan said:
The vet told me that it will get alot worse before it will get better, she said that when she starts teething it will get worse then,  ..... which it has lol,

I was recomended to give a light tap on the nose by my mate, but that didn't work at all,  tryed clapping hands to distract her, didn't work, she just jumped up and it exsited her more. 

she isn't constantly nipping she is very soft and gentel the rest of the time.  :wub:   it is just the odd time in the day when she becomes really over exsited.

or am I exspecting to much for this problem to have gone by now ?   :blink:

Dog nips you, you nip dog, do as mum would, like ive had to do, on all 4s, nip the dogs lughole, it'll stop it

And i got sucksess :lol:

Thankyou everyone !!!! :)

there is some great advise, and it is reasuring to hear that it is all natural and part of her growing up !!! I will try these ideas and hopefully nip this in the bud thanks again, :thumbsup:

standing up and turning your back and ignoring the dog has always worked for me...with whippets, lurchers assorted terriers boxers and mastiffs. i found tapping them or pinching makes them retalliate more and does nothing to help your bond.

like most dogs it will stop in time, so good luck :luck:

My lurcher Hebe was a nightmare as a puppy,she always wanted her own way & was very strong willed. At one point I didn't even like her & was even a bit afraid of her temper. She would jump at me & try to nip me, if I pushed her away she was worse & just tried harder to get me. She really did have proper doggy tantrums if she wasn't getting her own way. :(

The lady who ran the training class I went to gave me a great bit of advice. She told me to keep a light house lead on Hebe & if she started playing up, instead of pushing her away which was giving her attention, to tie her to something solid (her indoor cage) & let her thrash it out by herself. I did this once in the house & once I had to tie her to the end of a park bench while I sat at the other end ignoring her. I did get some funny looks rom other people in the park.

That was all it took. No punishment, no shouting, no attention. Hebe is a smart dog & very quickly realised this behaviour would get her nowhere.

She has turned out to be my dog in a million, to think now I didn't like her is awful to remember. She still likes her own way tho but just isn't as horrible about it. She has me well & truly trained these days, she doesn't have to resort to violence to get me to do what she wants :lol:

Your pup is still very young & I'm sure she will turn out just fine :thumbsup:

Back