The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Calculating Cois

jthatton

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

There has been a lot of debate about inbreeding and the value of COIs but does anyone know of a reliable programme that can be downloaded to work these out?

With repeated line breeding over several generations the COI is often greater than one would imagine and a bit more difficult to work out with pen and paper. :sweating:

Thanks

James

You need to download FSpeed - just type it into google and you will be able to download a free version.

Then the long process of carefully entering all the data on to a notepad file begins - enjoy!! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to download FSpeed - just type it into google and you will be able to download a free version.Then the long process of carefully entering all the data on to a notepad file begins - enjoy!! :thumbsup:

hi, If you dont want to go through the lengthy process !! I can do it for you if you like, just pm me jan

wouldn't you have to submit a 6 generation pedigree to get reliable results? say you had a three generation ped with no names repeated but dogs in the third generation were highly inbred.

To get the most accurate picture it is best to enter at least 8 generations.

That is why it takes so long when you first start out as you have to enter each and every dog, making sure there are no typos, capital letters etc. It can be very frustrating at times hunting for the mistake when you've spent an hour entering a pedigree!!! :eek:

To get the most accurate picture it is best to enter at least 8 generations. That is why it takes so long when you first start out as you have to enter each and every dog, making sure there are no typos, capital letters etc. It can be very frustrating at times hunting for the mistake when you've spent an hour entering a pedigree!!! :eek:
Hmmm...I'll second that Rachel!!! I think I must've spent most of yesterday evening going stir crazy trying to find a mistake! :rant:

To get the most accurate picture it is best to enter at least 8 generations. That is why it takes so long when you first start out as you have to enter each and every dog, making sure there are no typos, capital letters etc. It can be very frustrating at times hunting for the mistake when you've spent an hour entering a pedigree!!! :eek:
Hmmm...I'll second that Rachel!!! I think I must've spent most of yesterday evening going stir crazy trying to find a mistake! :rant:
A quick way is to ask me - I have all KC registrations on my db and the Breeder's Assistant programme does it in seconds. I have 8 generations set as default - but the KC does not have a full 8 generations because they only put them on the computer from 1982. I am working (slowly) to fill in the gaps and have more dogs than they do. It fdoesn't make a huge difference if there are a few missing at the tail end. Just email me the dogs' names at Info@moonlake.co.uk

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

Does anybody know of any downloadable (aka free) software for calculating CoI - that will work on a Mac?

thanks

Manda

Does anybody know of any downloadable (aka free) software for calculating CoI - that will work on a Mac?
thanks

Manda

Hi

You could try this online calculator I found (I run a Mac so the free Fspeed won't work for me) http://www.czerwonytrop.com/inb/index.php?full=ok&lng=en

It takes bloody hours to put in the details - my boys have a COI of : 0.00250244140625 (0.250244140625%) - now I need to work out what that means! I think it's good...? :b

HTH

z

thanks

Manda

Hi

You could try this online calculator I found (I run a Mac so the free Fspeed won't work for me) http://www.czerwonytrop.com/inb/index.php?full=ok&lng=en

It takes bloody hours to put in the details - my boys have a COI of : 0.00250244140625 (0.250244140625%) - now I need to work out what that means! I think it's good...? :b

HTH

z
I have used that one too, it is not so difficult as i have the pedigrees on my computer, I set up the pedigree and the form from this website next to each other on my desktop, and I just copy and paste each column. It takes a while and has to be done all in one go, cannot be saved and continued next day. :(

Any CoI of 6% and less is very good

thanks

Manda

Hi

HTH

z
It works! You star.... thank you.... tho' I now heartily regret offering to work out the CoI for a friend... all that typing (!) -(not whippets, so don't anybody panic)

I've only done one so far but it came out with 1.625%, which seems fairly straightforward...

thank you hugely

m

Back