The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Brown Whippet

Sidewinders

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a picture of whippet male, who lives in Russia. He is considered "bronze" and as his owner said - he sired no one black puppy, only fawn and the same colour he is! Note that his nose and eyes doesn't look very dark. Interesting colour, isn't it? :wub:

I wonder if anybody has whippet of the same colour? And curious about how to call such colour, from genetics' point of view as true brown (like chocolate labradors) seems doesn't exist in whippets. :blink:

________________3.jpg

Hi Sidewinders,

I once bred a whippet of similar colour and thought of it as a heavily ticked fawn?

Ian

Looks like there is a hint of a darker 'saddle' there, and possibly a maks which suggests that this colour can't by caused dilution, as this would lighten dark pigment. Compare with a heavily sabled fawn:

hvysable.jpg

Whippet colour genetics page - fawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ian of Beetelian and moriarte!

My idea was that it's a very heavily fawn indeed. :blink:

Ian, do you have a picture of that your dog? And I wonder how his/her colour was mentioned in the pedigree? As fawn? And also what colour were his/her parents?

This whippet's colour official name is "bronze", I don't know whether it's correct or not, we have another system here, we have a codes for colours, only 3 letter, like black will be BLC, brindle - TIG, etc.

It might not be the genetically correct term, but it certainly is very descriptive of the actual dog. Such an unusual and beautiful colour, if you ask me.

Compare the reverse situation when you get black dogs (from black parents, and who breed black) but with a fair amount of fawn showing through:

seal2.jpg

moriarte said:
Compare the reverse situation when you get black dogs (from black parents, and who breed black) but with a fair amount of fawn showing through:
seal2.jpg

"Seal". That's what I'd call the first dog as well.

Here´s Nona. She was registered as black with white trim. She is Nimrodel Noir x Nimrodel Dream Queen.

Nona_seal.JPG

I know it sounds silly, but I would say, technically, the first dog's colour would be classed as a "bad" blue!

The paling blacks - sables

Louise

Ian of Beetelian said:
Hopefully Here is a pic of the Dog I bred.Red brindle Sire

Blue Fawn Dam

Ian

I've bred a lot of these sabled fawns with black masks - it featured quite a lot in my early breeding. I really like it - they are very dark when born and then the black colour fades upwards as they grow. In the particolours they are sometimes left with dark rings around the patches.

louisetope said:
I know it sounds silly, but I would say, technically, the first dog's colour would be classed as a "bad" blue!

Louise

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this dog is genetically blue. If anything it is "bad" black, but as in Whippets any colour is acceptable it really cannot be called "bad". We had the fawn coming through in some black Great Danes and it was used to justify why the blacks should only be bred to black or blue. But i have seen many blacks from black X fawn matings and they were perfectly black. So where did these incomplete blacks come from nobody knows. Some had just a tinge of fawn around their necks, others were almost cinnamon all over, and they were from black X black or black X blue matings. I never bred one so i do not know what they looked like at birth.

Do you know what colour are this Russian dog's parents?

The Ian's dog is definitily just very dark fawn sable, and i wonder how noticeble it would be if he was blue dilute instead of full pigment? What was the colour of the other pups in that litter?

Seraphina said:
There is absolutely nothing to suggest that this dog is genetically blue.  If anything it is "bad" black, but as in Whippets any colour is acceptable it really cannot be called "bad".  We had the fawn coming through in some black Great Danes and it was used to justify why the blacks should only be bred to black or blue.  But i have seen many blacks from black X fawn matings and they were perfectly black.  So where did these incomplete blacks come from nobody knows.  Some had just a tinge of fawn around their necks, others were almost cinnamon all over, and they were from black X black  or black X blue matings.  I never bred one so i do not know what they looked like at birth.

Aren't many fawn GDs really very light sables? I remember a friend pointing out a few black hairs on the back of his fawn GD puppy and commenting he hoped they would clear away as the dog grew older (not sure if they did, but they probably became more spaced out, and therefore less noticeable).

I guess that a black dog could also be a heavily sabled dog - although for obvious reasons it would not show! Could it also be possible that dog could be so heavily sabled as to appear completely black, even if it was a fawn?

I am not completely sure about the genetics here, but two heterozygous black parents can throw fawn puppies, right?

bardmand said:
I am not completely sure about the genetics here, but two heterozygous black parents can throw fawn puppies, right?
You mean both Kk? Yes but there doesn't appear to be a clear relationship between black and heavy sabling as far as I know ? :unsure:

sorry, double post, not sure what happened

moriarte said:
bardmand said:
You mean both Kk? Yes but there doesn't appear to be a clear relationship between black and heavy sabling as far as I know ? :unsure:

No, my point was simply that black can mask any number of colours and patterns in a dog - including heavy sabling, which will only be expressed if the black dog produces a fawn puppy with that same sabling. Am I making sense at all?

bardmand said:
black can mask any number of colours and patterns in a dog - including heavy sabling, which will only be expressed if the black dog produces a fawn puppy with that same sabling. Am I making sense at all?
Yes, true, you are. It would be helpful if someone who has a good pedigree database could confirm that 'seal' dogs with black parentage were Kk from their offspring, if any turn out to be a dense, true black.

louisetope said:

Louise

yep i agree with louise a very dilute blue

Back