The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Breed Standard For Weight ?

Rabbitrunner

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone let me know what the breed standard is regarding weight for whippies ? I heard that it was aprox 17lbs for dogs and 15/16lbs for bitches... Just had my 6mnth old Sam weighed for his worming tablets, and he is 26lbs !!! not that it worries me as I am happy to have the extra weight when starts working.

May be 16 peoepl looked at the question but didnt know the answer i am sure someone who does know will be along in time

Rabbitrunner said:
Can anyone let me know what the breed standard is regarding weight for whippies ? I heard that it was aprox 17lbs for dogs and 15/16lbs for bitches...  Just had my 6mnth old Sam weighed for his worming tablets, and he is 26lbs !!! not that it worries me as I am happy to have the extra weight when starts working.
I dont think there is a breed standard for weight, i'm no expert but the weights you have mentioned are on the light side, i have a coursing bred bitch 13 months who is around 28lb and a 5 month bitch pup from racing lines who is 18lb

Thanks Masta,

Have just put the phone down to the secretary of the Whippet Club, and your right there is no breed standard for weight.

Rabbitrunner said:
Thanks Masta,Have just put the phone down to the secretary of the Whippet Club, and your right there is no breed standard for weight.

Forgot to say maximum weight for ped racing is 32lb

There is nothing in the "Breed Standard" regarding weight, only height which is 18.5 - 20" for dogs and 17.5 - 18.5" for bitches (allegedly the KC has turned down the proposed amendment to 19" for bitches)

I think this is where the difference between show bred and racing bred whippets is noticed. Because most racing is handicapped yard per lb, the resulting tendency is to benefit the dog that is lighter for his height and to breed from finer boned specimens. Show dogs are bred for more bone and substance, therefore will be heavier, and are also kept in heavier condition. Also the racing handicapping system allows for dogs of under 16 lb. A whippet as light as this would rarely meet the 17 and a half inch minimum height, or if it did would not have the required balance of bone and substance . Many show bred dogs reach weights of up to 36-40 lb and therefore are not allowed to race.

A pity, but there it is, if we are really serious about keeping one breed we need to address both the handicapping systems and/or the breed standard and the way judges adhere to it.

I think most coursing whippets are nearer to the show type, as they need to have enough strength to complete several arduous courses over possible rough ground, though the necessity to go under the 20" measure has kept the size within sensible limits.

What a pity for the breed that we no longer have this outlet for our whippets as an incentive to keep to the correct size and type.....

Back