The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Boys or girls?

Kimi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

We've always had male dogs in the past but my last eldest was female. I found her much harder work, she always had to 'have the last word' and wasn't as affectionate as often as the male dogs. In the end though she was my soul mate after passing away at nearly 14yrs old.

I have a young male dog and whilst the sentimental part of me wants another female that looked exactly like her, the practical part is wondering if another male would be easier as all my younger dogs 'friends' that he choses and enjoys playing with, are male!

I'm thinking of taking him with me to a local rescue and seeing who he seems to like the best, to see if there's any he instantly seems to bond with. I'd be (ideally) looking for an older already 'chilled out' dog, past the puppy and teenage stage! (over 4yrs old at least) .. and who would be a calming influence on my younger dog as he grew up (he's 2yo)

Do you think its breed related how difficult males or females are? For example.. Would a male Husky be as friendly as with other males as my male collie is for example? or is it a breed that need to be brought up with another dog from a puppy? Are there some breeds that only do well in a single dog household?

All our dogs except my youngest have been crossbreeds/mongrels so it was hard to say how much influence breed played towards their behaviour and how much was just their personality. They were also all rescues, so again I've no idea what had happened to them in their live before coming to us, that may have also shaped their behaviour and personality. My youngest is the only pedigree breed I've ever had and from 8 weeks old so I was just wondering?

Thanks

Kimi

It is lovely of you to think about rescuing a dog! But they do often come with some issues due to one thing or another. Contact your local rescue centre and ask them if they are happy for you to bring your dog to them and take it from there. It’s a lot to do with personality I think.

Contacting a local rescue centre is not a bad idea as they may be able to help find you the perfect fit, they know the dogs as well as anyone can. They might be able to tell you who would be suitable for you?

I'm thinking of taking him with me to a local rescue and seeing who he seems to like the best, to see if there's any he instantly seems to bond with. I'd be (ideally) looking for an older already 'chilled out' dog, past the puppy and teenage stage! (over 4yrs old at least) .. and who would be a calming influence on my younger dog as he grew up (he's 2yo)
Thats would be a perfect way to found him a suitable g/f

Personally, I wouldnt count on proposals of suitable female dogs for my male dog from a local rescue center.. Not because I have anything against those workers, but I am sure - I'd prefer the way you are going with - just bring your doggy there and let him choose. He knows much better than a workers at a rescue center, which female is fully suitable for him

In these questions, I prefer to believe my dog and not the people. Thats the way I live.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back