The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Blood In Stool...

so glad Gelert is on the mend and you have some answers :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
beaker said:
hope everything goes ok tomorrow  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
my lad used to suffer quite badly with stress realted colitis, i found giving him 'slippery elm' used to have a nice soothing effect on his irritated digestive system  :thumbsup:

stress related, im sure my dog worries, i can see it in her eyes, let me put it this way, when i put her in her cage of a morning while i take my oh to work, i can see the worried look in her, as if to say, are u coming back, i like to think i no my dogs

and im pretty sure im right.

my brothers lurcher attacked Oto as a pup when he was looking after him for a weekend,she wouldn't let him eat, jumped on him every time he moved. when i got Oto back he was a wreck.

after that every time he saw her he would go quiet and hide and you could pretty much guarantee that within 30 minutes his stomach would be gurgling and bubbling and he'd be twisting round in pain, then the slimey grey blood flecked poo would follow :x

he hardly ever gets it now, whether thats because he is more confident now or whether he just grew out of it i don't know.

i found the best way to get him past it was a dose of slippery elm and caccoon (sp?) him in a blanket till he was ready to emerge all better , lol :lol:

beaker said:
my brothers lurcher attacked Oto as a pup when he was looking after him for a weekend,she wouldn't let him eat, jumped on him every time he moved. when i got Oto back he was a wreck.
I was wondering if it had been brought on by his encounter with the GSD, although I think he was more stressed out by having to spend a day at the vets, having a GA etc. Normally he's a pretty bombproof sort of dog, constitution of iron (needed for eating month old muntjac remains :x which has been known :b )

He didn't impress the vet by jumping on OHs lap in a pathetic manner during the consultation; Mr B was apparently muttering sarcasms about 'lap dogs' :b ; it certainly didn't do his fearless hound image any good :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
moriarte said:
beaker said:
I was wondering if it had been brought on by his encounter with the GSD, although I think he was more stressed out by having to spend a day at the vets, having a GA etc. Normally he's a pretty bombproof sort of dog, constitution of iron (needed for eating month old muntjac remains :x which has been known :b )

He didn't impress the vet by jumping on OHs lap in a pathetic manner during the consultation; Mr B was apparently muttering sarcasms about 'lap dogs' :b ; it certainly didn't do his fearless hound image any good :lol:

muntjac jerkie yum :x

why is it that stuff that they are not allowed(the mankier the better) never seems to make them ill but a slight change in bicuit and they are all loose :lol:

beaker said:
muntjac jerkie yum  :x
why is it that stuff that they are not allowed(the mankier the better) never seems to make them ill but a slight change in bicuit and they are all loose  :lol:

:lol: BUT I can vouch for the fact that 2 week old dead goose :x , previously floating in the river :x :x is definitely not good for even the most robust whippet tummy. :x :x :x :x :lol: I never want to clean up after a night like that again :nuke: :lol:

Hello!

Glad you have a diagnosis! Collitis is a nasty inflamatory bowel disorder! Ow! Dont know if you are into herbal stuff but Aloe Vera Juice is excellent for this type of thing. You can buy it at Holland a Barrett. Much cheaper than the animal version( which is exactly the same) Ulcerative collitis can be set off by wheat products and a gluten free diet will help. If you want to try Aloe Vera I would suggest 5mls twice a day initially. Have used it myself for a variety of conditions and can recommend it. Certainly has no side effects! They also do a gel which is great for all skin conditions if anyone is interested but think that is only available from retailers that market to the "animal population" Good Luck and Best Wishes

Artemis

artemis said:
Glad you have a diagnosis!  Collitis is a nasty inflamatory bowel disorder!  Ow!  Dont know if you are into herbal stuff but Aloe Vera Juice is excellent for this type of thing. 
Don't I know it (awaiting a session of endoscopy for the same condition myself >_< ) Thanks for the tip, I think I'll nip out and buy some AV, for both of us :lol:

glad gelerts sorted now,he will soon be back to his normal self :thumbsup:

Back