The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Birth Defects

lalena

Registered
Reaction score
well, as some of you from chat last night know, amber went into spontaneous labour over a week early. she produced 4 pups, 3 girls 1 boy. sadly 2 of the girls, 1st and 3rd born, were born with cleft problems. 1st girlie has harelip, 2nd has bilateral harelip (where there are two splits descending from each nostril.) having phoned the vets that nicky12 sent me the number for (thanks hun :huggles: ) and spoken at length, i was recommended to leave taking them in til the morning, as both were lively, warm, and most importantly, able to nurse without choking or bubbles coming from the nose.

i've now returned from the vets....bad news: both do have cleft palate. good news is that the roof of the mouth is fine, the clefts on both are in front of the canines, and won't at any time affect feeding. overall verdict: eminently survivable (90%) should not require any hand-rearing (especially as amber has accepted them)

the advice for post-weaning is dry food only, to reduce possibility of pneumonia, likewise to only give water to drink, no milk etc, because of germs entering the lungs. she went on to say that she wouldnt bother with corrective surgery ( (w00t) a vet, NOT trying to exhort money!) as a)its not fair on them so young and b) by the time theyre older, theyll have adapted, and so the only reason for doing it is for the owners sake. having them pts wasnt even a consideration, as far as she was concerned.

biggest surprise of all is that weve already potentially got a home for one of these girls! friends of ours have recently found out their unborn baby with have severe cleft and lip defects, and that for them surgery wouldnt happen until their little boy is around 6mths. basically, a special puppy for a special baby, while also allowing martin and mandy to get used to what to expect beforehand. not definate, but watch this space!

and to from chat last night, thanks for your help and support :cheers: :huggles:

Sorry to hear you're having such a worrying time - I hope things improve and the little girls are ok, Good luck for the next few weeks :luck:

so pleased for you hun :huggles:

what a great home a little one has lined up!!! :wub:

will pm what we spoke of hun :thumbsup:

aww im so pleased they dont have to be put to sleep was on my mind all night bless ther little hearts ,hope they go from strenth to strenth hun ,glad i could help a little :huggles: NOW WERES THE BLOOMING PICS OF THESES GORGUSE BABIES :huggles:

Bless their little hearts...........i hope they thrive
c_hugs.gif

So sorry to hear your news about two of the puppies. I do hope the pups thrive. :huggles: Good luck with their future. :luck: :luck:

At least there is some lovely positive news in your message :huggles: At least the pups are doing well and the two little girls are also doing well :wub: the fact you may have a home for one of them already is wonderful news. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best :huggles: :huggles: Lovely to hear that neither of the girls had to be put to sleep - sure they will go from strength to strength :luck:

I,m so sorrry Lanlena,good luck with them hun :luck: :luck:

Hope all pups go from strength to strength. :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

i too hope they all thrive and do well. :luck: i whelped a litter of staffies years ago for my neighbour. i got the pup out that was stuck and then realised it had a bad cleft palate and a hare lip.the vet had to put him to sleep.is there a lot of staffies born with this defect or is it rare?

i've heard of it cropping up in certain lines, but never experienced it first hand. the vet said it couldve been viral infection, but even a slight knock to her stomach (ie barging through a door way) at around 3 to 4wks of the pregnancy might have caused it :( seriously unlikely to be genetic, as otherwise previous pups wouldve shown the same effect, or it wouldve cropped up in her family. just one of those things :( soon as ambers in better shape, she's getting spayed. i cant allow the risk of her getting pregnant again, simple as.

hi, i was worried all nite, i couldnt get thw poor little mites, and you out of my head, and OH has nabbed the pooter all day!!

but that is good news, really pleased for you, and the little ones, good luck with them, keep us informed, :huggles: :huggles:

All the best with all your litter, and hope the 2 little girls continue to thrive (sounds like they are off to a flying start) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also I hope all goes well for your friends and their little boy when he is born.

Hope your 2 girls continue to thrive- how worrying for you :(

Liz and the Monellis

Sending all my best wishes for your girls. I'm sure they will thrive and do you proud :huggles:

:( well, not going so good, sadly. at half one this morning the girl with the harelip was alive and well, but at half six when i got up she was away from the nest and dead :( all was soon explained when i watched bilateral girlie 'interacting'. these two fed slower, therefore eating less, so their weight gain wasnt the same as the normal two. anyway, after finding the dead baby, i put bilat girl onto ambers teats to feed then watched as the other two muscled in and pushed her away. she wasnt strong enough to push back in, so now hand-rearing is under way. unsure as to whether amber noticed harelip girl being shoved aside, or whether she actively removed her :unsure: either way, 'badger' (because shes black with a white stripe down the centre of her head) has been getting 10ml (all she can manage per sitting) every half hour and then with her mum between. just feel so guilty about the other one :(

:( rip little girl ,its not your fault hun just one of those thing im shure you doing all you can to help them :huggles: chin up if ya need a chat you know were i am :huggles:

nicky12 said:
:( rip little girl ,its not your fault hun just one of those thing im shure you doing all you can to help them  :huggles: chin up if ya need a chat you know were i am  :huggles:
ta hun. i was bawling my eyes out when i found her :(

Back