The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Best Friend Found

cymru

Registered
Reaction score
Please see thread titled best friend missing.

Thanks everyone for your support and help.

at least she has been found, sad for you but maybe the new people would allow a bit of contact? worth asking? can only say no? maybe offer the newbies a list of her likes and dislikes and history etc, would pave the way for contact? good luck anyway! :luck:

I have asked to be updated about her progress and i am waiting to hear from the rescue. Fingers crossed

Just to update everyone. I cannot got my greyhound back. The only way in a court of law that you can prove ownership is DNA testing. Microchips, tattoos, papers and photos is not legal proof.

There is an organisation called Petback protect that offers protection and DNA testing.

I dont want to be seen as trying to advertise on here so if anyone wants further info about petback let me know.

I'm really sorry to hear you can't get your dog back, you must be devastated. I know it's probably no conselation but at least you know she will be in a good home - South Wales RGT have one of the strictest rehoming policies according to the rescue I had my boys from.

cymru said:
I dont want to be seen as trying to advertise on here so if anyone wants further info about petback let me know.
all my dogs are paid into petback and all have their dna on file in case of a court case....they cost me just under £100 each dog for lifetime registration which includes many benefits including a dna sampling kit...i think the link is pinned under the missing dog forum if anyone wants the link :thumbsup:

I read your thread, and if microchipping etc are not proof of ownership, then why do the Customs and Excise accept that for dog passports? And why do the producers of these products market them to dog owners as being reliable? I think you should write to your MP and ask him/her to do something about this for you on your behalf. That's what we elect them for to help us little people fight the biggies!! So get cracking and DON'T GIVE UP UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR DOG BACK. Never mind the rubbish about your dog going to a good home, it's your dog, and if you want it back, then fight for it. And good luck.

I think that microchipping is a legal source of evidence in getting a dog back. The chip in the dog will be registered to your name seeing as you are the owner. All they do is scan the chip get your details and there you have it.

Smiffy@VeronnaV said:
Never mind the rubbish about your dog going to a good home, it's your dog, and if you want it back, then fight for it.  And good luck.
The point of these forums is to be helpful, not abusive.

I checked with my local RGT and the South Wales RGT were perfectly within their rights to rehome her. The onus is on the owner to find the dog not a rescue to find the owner. In another thread, Cymru said that unfortunately Rathroon Sash was not microchipped.

I checked yesterday with the Kennel Club and they said that micochipping is not proof of ownership. The are now looking into what is proof of ownership for me. When I have some details I will put up a new post.

Cymru, I really do sympathise, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. I would hate this to happen to me. :huggles:

Edited to add - this is a copy of the email from the kennel club about microchipping:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Petlog is the national database for microchipped pets, the information

held

on our database is for reunification purposes only, this is not proof

of

ownership.

Regarding your query on dna I have passed your e-mail to the relevant

department within The Kennel Club who will reply shortly.

Kind regards

The Petlog Administration Team

Last edited by a moderator:
i went into great detailed information about the law and dog ownership ...thats why i have paid out for a dna kit and gone to the trouble of taking a sample and then paying the lab to check that it was done ok and that the sample is now stored for use in a dispute...... i know i have done what the law requires and i can do no more :thumbsup:

What a sad world that people have to pay out good money to ensure that in the event of their dog going missing you have to have proof of ownership over and above micro chipping and tattoos.

I had thought that the fate of missing dogs was improving as my local dog wardens have an email link as was born out when my Iggie went missing.

It seems that gone are the days when a photo would be sufficient.

This all seems absurd, how can we not prove a dog is ours?? Yet on the other hand if we fail to pick up our dogs poo etc, or our dog attacks someone we are fined/charged as the owner of the dog - how can we be held responsible if there is no way to prove the dog is ours??? :wacko: Ok that didn't come out quite right but it's just so baffling... and scary :blink:

It is totallty ridiculous that you should have to pay hundreds of pounds to have DNA testing on an animal incase you need to prove ownership at a later date,

So you can have

A receipt for a dog which you bought

Have it microchipped and or tatooed in your name

Have all the registration documents and pedigrees

Hundreds of pics from puppyhood to present day

Racing passports showing all angles of the dog

Insurance for the dog ect ect

And you need a DNA test to prove you are the owner :rant: what is the world coming to :wacko:

*Lesley* said:
It is totallty ridiculous that you should have to pay hundreds of pounds to have DNA testing on an animal incase you need to prove ownership at a later date,
So you can have

And you need a DNA test to prove you are the owner :rant: what is the world coming to  :wacko:

Well said Lesley :thumbsup: You have hit the nail on the head

makes you wonder if insurance companies will use it as a way of getting outa paying? very worrying to think we go to such lentghs to protect what is ours and it could be snatched away at any point? :rant:

This is unbelievable...Ive got an amazing idea. Why dont we all put signs on our dogs saying

"Hey Steal this dog...no one can do anything about it if you do"

My question is...are dog owners out there who arent as clued up as we are about this law stuff gonna even think about getting DNA samples for yours dogs? When you are at the vets they dont mention it...they may ask if you are going to get your dog microchipped and even then its not proof of ownership. All this is doing is making it easier for the dog thieves out there. What is the bloody world coming to making it easier for criminals!? :rant: :rant: :rant:

i found out cos i decided not to have any details on the tags on my dogs due to many dogs being held to ransom these days it is not advised....when i spoke to missing pets bureau it was them that first told me about the law as it stands...btw they provide free dna kits ...its the tag that i got (med alert)and the benefits that go with that that costs about £100...but you can get "protect" which gives you the dog registration without the medical protection for about £ 50...and i think you get the free dna kit with this too....well worth it think though :thumbsup:

heres the link if anyone wants to have a look....

http://www.missingpetsbureau.com/home/protect/dna_id.aspx

I'm going to get mine done! :thumbsup: :unsure: It is utterly ridiculous though, you are right.

I've got adoption papers and receipts, tattoos, microchips, insurance, photos of the last ten months and id discs (but only with my name and phone number) etc and it apparently means diddly squat! :rant:

*Lesley* said:
So you can have

And you need a DNA test to prove you are the owner :rant: what is the world coming to  :wacko:

Cause if you get your dog dna tested it cost money...so they make more money from the dog owner.

It is so wrong, bring back the dog licence, then that would be proof only thing is they would probably charge £100 a dog :rant:

Back