The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Best Coursing Dog Sire

maggiemay2 said:
Bedlam said:

i do love Becky's dogs but with lola being 20" i think i would be breeding for bingger dogs which i am trying to avoid. :)

i'd agree :thumbsup: Totty is 20.5 and Lola 20 so it's unlikely to get pups under the 20 mark

though he produces smaller when put to smaller girls he doesn't have it in his make up to pull the size down on the more robust lasses.

i'd deffo look for a smaller frame racing bred dog that has possibly ventured onto the coursing field :cheers:

but more importantly still i'd judge a potential sire for what he is already proven to produce not what he can do himself, there are so many that "can" that "can't pass on"

maggiemay2 said:
anyone know if Just Dandy is still around and siring pups?
As far as I know Just Dandy is still around, but he is huge, deffo maximum height for racing, and I think 28-30lb. Good looking dog though :thumbsup:

i didnt think Just Dandy was that tall... :( says he is 26lb on whippet archives.

what bout Goodad Lyrical Lad (racing name Starstruck) anyone know how tall he is or have any photos of him? hes out of Just Dandy and Little Twister

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not try Deadly Cocktail his great grandad is Just Dandy. He's got a brilliant temperament

What about something different Shuleah singing in the rain at Whisterfield same lines as your dog and won 8 out of 11 courses before the ban and 19 i/2 2 I think.

beaker said:
but more importantly still i'd judge a potential sire for what he is already proven to produce not what he can do himself, there are so many that "can" that "can't pass on"

I'd definitely agree with this - a good producer is more important than what the dog does himself but bear in mind which bitches he has produced from and their breeding. I would say that if you choose a dog that has not been used at stud before then his own ability would come into it.

tripletree28 said:
What about something different Shuleah singing in the rain at Whisterfield same lines as your dog and won 8 out of 11 courses before the ban  and 19 i/2 2 I think.
thanks for this, he is indeed a very good looking dog. :thumbsup:

sue greenwood said:
Why not try Deadly Cocktail his  great grandad is Just Dandy. He's got a brilliant temperament
:thumbsup: my sister bred him, his mother WCRCh, VC, SPCh Deadly nightShade was a fantastic bitch...she is now retired, but was still winning at the champs this year :thumbsup: (deadly nightshades is out of just dandy and emma) shes short and stumpy :oops: the dad was WCRCh (i think) VC fuller spirit, the dog my sister kept out of the litter Deadly Spirit is only 21/22lb but has more leg to him :thumbsup:

others in this litter, A Touch Of North, Night Spirit, Maximum Spirit, and the 6th in the litter went to pet home :huggles: all these boys make open finals :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If your looking for a coursing dog look no further than this. proven in the field and a proven sire producing quality pups..

Endless stamina game as hell and pre ban regulary killed daytime hares single handed.. thats not heresay neither ive seen the dog run.. :thumbsup:

peppermint lady said:
sue greenwood said:
Why not try Deadly Cocktail his  great grandad is Just Dandy. He's got a brilliant temperament
:thumbsup: my sister bred him, his mother WCRCh, VC, SPCh Deadly nightShade was a fantastic bitch...she is now retired, but was still winning at the champs this year :thumbsup: (deadly nightshades is out of just dandy and emma) shes short and stumpy :oops: the dad was WCRCh (i think) VC fuller spirit, the dog my sister kept out of the litter Deadly Spirit is only 21/22lb but has more leg to him :thumbsup:

others in this litter, A Touch Of North, Night Spirit, Maximum Spirit, and the 6th in the litter went to pet home :huggles: all these boys make open finals :thumbsup:

thanks for all this info its great! :thumbsup:

so Deadly Spirit is 21/22lb,

and Deadly Cocktail is 26lb? (thats what it says on whippet archive anyway)

any one know how tall both dogs are? or indeed what the rest of the litter made?

cheers everyone!

If you're looking for speed and a smaller size dog then you have to go for a racing dog of good standard but you will run the risk of losing out in the stamina department . I agree with Mark it is difficult to have a dog with speed to burn and stamina aplenty and as Joanna said racing breds do tend to have too much initial pace for lurecoursing. Cupids Arrow could be the exception , i've never seen him run , however i believe he is 21 inches and 32lb so not too likely to throw smaller pups.All the best in your quest, Laurie :thumbsup:

Rob Rixon said:
What you need is the annual results books from Maj Tony Loch.  This list all the top sires of all the winning whippets for that year - then if your a sad case like me and can go back to the results of the 1962 Season (and all those until coursing stopped)you can eliminate all those who say they have a top sire but don't appear in the records. :- "
Maybe - What's Behind the mask? was a good dog but didn't make it into the Coursing Hall of Fame.  However, most of the Hall of Fame Stud dogs are now running in the happy Coursing field in the Sky so are not availabe for Stud duties.

How about Cupid's Arrow. :lol:

Depends on the size you are looking for.

What's Behind The Mask was a top dog it was a shame injury finished him but in their first adult coursing season, Skylark Majestic had top points Nationally with WBTM in 2nd & top dog overall,All 4 siblings were top dogs out of 13 Nationally in March 2004,By the following & last season coursing under rules Skylark had scored 56 points a coursing record & almost double that of all her competition her sisters Ultra Vixen & Bellagose were also in the top scores Nationwide,So after a short coursing career WBTM was 1 of the top 3 Coursing Stud Dogs & his 3 litter sisters were ALL entered in to The Coursing Hall Of Fame after being Top whippets for 3 consecutive coursing seasons.

Whats Behind The Mask

Ultra Vixen

Skylark Majestic

Bellagose

maggiemay2 said:
so Deadly Spirit is 21/22lb, and Deadly Cocktail is 26lb? (thats what it says on whippet archive anyway)

any one know how tall both dogs are? or indeed what the rest of the litter made?

cheers everyone!

Deadly Cocktail usually runs at 24lb

sparky said:
If your looking for a coursing dog look no further than this. proven in the field and a proven sire producing quality pups..Endless stamina game as hell and pre ban regulary killed daytime hares single handed.. thats not heresay neither ive seen the dog run.. :thumbsup:

Enlighten us Sparky. Looks a great dog, but who is he?

Sonny Brindle said:
sparky said:
If your looking for a coursing dog look no further than this. proven in the field and a proven sire producing quality pups..Endless stamina game as hell and pre ban regulary killed daytime hares single handed.. thats not heresay neither ive seen the dog run.. :thumbsup:

Enlighten us Sparky. Looks a great dog, but who is he?

forgot to mention who he is soz :sweating: its paul corks totty.. :thumbsup:

maggiemay2 said:
Strike Whippets said:
The only thing to watch is that IF you do use a racer is that the line actually contains dogs who do have stamina  :D   ...... Theres nothing worse than going to a lure coursing meeting and seeing a fit racing bred blow up after 200 yards ....There are lines/dogs out there that are just really sprinters .... I think the best all round racer I've seen is WCRCh VC Guys Gwithian who won on the lure coursing field as a youngster ...he has also won and been placed in the ring and well his titles say it all  :D   .....Plus hes 10 and is still fit and healthy  :thumbsup:   .....I'm VERY pleased with the litter my Connies had with him, they are all very mad, keen, fab feet, bone and they are just always on the go  :wacko: ....Heres Jacks 5 gen pedigree

Sunset in Gwithian Sandspring

I also think VC Texas Tea is a great dog who is often over looked

Parkstone Black Gold

and if you look neither dog is fully racing bred  ;)   ..  :luck:

cheers Hannah.. :thumbsup:

has anyone got any pictures of Sunset in Gwithian Sandspring?

As I said I'm pleased with my pups ....The two of them had a rat last week and they are only 4 months old ....I did get a photo on my phone but can't seem to send it or download it :b ......anyway here you are ....Jack, WCRCh VC Guys Gwithian .... Its not the best photo, but hey ....

Jack.jpg

maggiemay2 said:
peppermint lady said:
sue greenwood said:

thanks for all this info its great! :thumbsup:

so Deadly Spirit is 21/22lb,

and Deadly Cocktail is 26lb? (thats what it says on whippet archive anyway)

cheers everyone!

deadly spirit is 21lb 8oz, and 19.5" tall :thumbsup:

not sure on the height of the rest but could possibly find out for you :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back