The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bbc 1

ROSIE MEADOWS

Registered
Reaction score
TONIGHT 9PM ON BBC1

PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED

An in-depth investigation into the health of pedigree dogs, revealing the surprising historical reasons that have contributed to problems in some breeds.

Edited to add listings title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be interesting for all the KC lovers :eek:

gonna watch this as well. though wonder what is the agenda for the programme...

It was outstanding. I was so, so impressed at the courage of the women in the CKCS breed society who was prepared to stand up and be counted and speak out for her breed.

The rest, I thought, was intelligent, well researched, passionate, thoughtful, well reasoned and said all that needed to be said.

The interesting thing will be what results, if any, it achieves, for which, I suppose, it will have to have been understood.

Manda Scott

I too thought that she was very brave. She obviously loves her breed to put up with what I am sure will be severe fall out.

The Kennel Club is sitting on the fence. What is all this about losing the breeders if they put their foot down? Where else are they going to register their pups, and unregistered pups can't be shown nor command high selling prices? I just don't understand this argument.

No I am not a breeder and yes it is my business. It is every animal lovers business.

Thanks for putting on the link, as we never got it in Scotland.

How sad and disturbing it was . It's disgusting that those breeders go ahead and keep breeding unhealthy dogs. The poor cavaliers suffering with that brain problem brought tears to my eyes :(

These breeders knowingly breeding them with those problems are the scum of the earth :rant:

I have always liked the cavaliers, but was told not to touch them with a barge pole from my vet and that was many years ago :(

IMO the KC is more interested in protecting the interests of show people than protecting the interests of the dog. In most cases the two interests can go together but there are obvious cases where the two conflict. The KC Accredited Breeder's Scheme for example will takes anyone's money and register them but has no way of checking all the breeder's credentials.

Obviously some people are more interested in winning shows than breeding healthy dogs which was shown on the BBC last night.

As whippet people we probably look at other breeds and think we are superior in our breeding methods. However the issue of close in breeding was debated. Vets and geneticists were very anti this but this happens in all breeds, including whippets. There are people on this forum who have dogs or have bred pups from father to daughter. Can this practice be defended in the face of modern science and common sense? There were calls for the KC to ban registration of puppies from such matings. This has happened in Scandinavia.

What do people think?

James

I think we would do very well to look to Scandinavia for guidance on this. :thumbsup:

I do not agree with Father/daughter or mother/son. There is no need. That refer's not just to show dogs ALL dogs.

T Hoare said:
I do not agree with Father/daughter or mother/son. There is no need. That refer's not just to show dogs ALL dogs.
I agree there is no need for this type of breeding and it is happening in the UK with show whippets:rant: :rant: but what sickeness me is that people are becoming blind to it and are buying pups from these people and encouring them to breed more :rant: :rant: it goes to show that some folk dont bother researching into the breeding before buying they think because they kennel they are buying from is well known and that the breeders are doing well that this is enough to justify buying a pup from them! It doesnt always work like that

I would be ashamed of myself knowing that i bought a pup from a father/daughter or mother/son mating and was parading it round show ring :rant: :rant:

Stopping Father/daughter or mother/son matings, in itself, is not going to improve the health of many breeds . It will take alot more! (Ducking For Cover)

Where do you draw the line ? Is grand father Grand daughter also too close ?

Canteronboy said:
Stopping Father/daughter or mother/son matings, in itself, is not going to improve the health of many breeds . It will take alot more!  (Ducking For Cover)
  Where do you draw the line ? Is grand father Grand daughter also too close ?

I didnt say it was going to improve the health of breeds all i was saying is that i DONT AGREE with it at all :rant:

Neave I am not having a go at you at all. - I was making a statement (that is why I did note "quote your post")

This is an option given by the program makers last night, I do not think that Stopping Father/daughter or mother/son matings is the answer to all the health problems faced by breeds in the UK (and further afield) What I am trying to say is it will take a long time and alot of research to make health improvements.

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
TONIGHT 9PM ON BBC1PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED

An in-depth investigation into the health of pedigree dogs, revealing the surprising historical reasons that have contributed to problems in some breeds.

Edited to add listings title.

BBC are talking of pulling their crufts coverage next year because of health fears.

from the Sun, Tuesday 19th August.

' Crufts was in crisis last night as the BBC admitted it may axe coverage after 42 years over fears for the health of pedigree dogs.

Beeb chiefs are in talks with the organisers The Kennel Club about pulling the plug on the famous show.

It comes amid claims the animals are suffering a raft of serious health problems due to interbreeding to exaggerate the natural features of dogs.

Their physiques have changes dramatically over the years as our startling pictures of Basset Hounds and Bulldogs show.

Many other breeds, not just those at Crufts, are facing crippling difficulties. A BBC documentary tonight will reveal:

PUGS often struggle to breathe because they have been bred to have flat faces and small noses.

BULLDOGS are now such an unnatural shape most can't even mate, while females can't give birth unassisted.

CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIELS suffer from brain disorder syringomyelia because their heads are too small. The slightest touch can cause agony.

RHODESIAN RIDGEBACK Many healthy puppies are put down because they are born without a ridge in their back.

The programme even claims some breeds may go extinct if the genetic problems continue.

Steve Jones, Professor of Genetics at University College London, said the problem is in part due to mating mothers and sons and brothers and sisters.

He said 'It's insane from the point of view of the health of the animals. In some breeds they are paying a terrible, terrible price in genetic disease.'

If breeders continue, dogs will get so inbred they won't be able to reproduce and die out.

RSPCA chief vet Mark Evans blamed the sufferiong of pedigree dogs on breeding for appearance and to meet show rules and requirements.

He called on breeders to combine to protect the health and welfare of pedigree breeds, which make up three quarters of all the dogs in Britain.

He said 'Public attitude also needs to change so that the most desirable dogs are those which are fit, healthy and well suited to the life they lead.'

The BBC - just one year into a three year contract to show Crufts - said the likelihood of it being shown next year was 'uncertain'. A spokesman said "We are in discussions with The Kennel Club. No decision has yet been made.'

The club said the axe talks were 'news to us'. It said many problems in today's dogs stem from the Victorian era.

Meanwhile a report out yesterday told how 'handbag dogs' like the Chihuahuas fashinable with celebs like Paris Hilton are prone to heart attacks due to in breeding. '

Did you see the lady with the KCS that was asked if it had the brain disease. Her response was 'no comment on that matter'. Will take that as a yes then. Her dog had fathered 36 litters, 28 supposedly after the diagnosis. In my opinion, she is guilty of cruelty in the case of the puppies, and should be prosecuted. It's ridiculous that people can get away with things, just by denying that their dog has the disease.

Very good program. Well worth watching.

IMO the program was too biased, what about all the healthy pedigree dogs there are?

This was the BBC over stepping the mark and not allowing anybody to comment on the health programs the KC has in place, or the Cavalier clubs struggle to keep up to date on the health issues within the breed, all the testing that goes on and had been going on for various inherited and genetic problems.

It was also bound to cause loads of critisism of the KC and pedigree dog breeders regardless of who they are, and making out we are all irresponsible for breeding freaks.

Sad, but I found it difficult to watch those dogs suffering, ON CAMERA, what was the idea of that, if not being totally over the top. How on earth could those dog owners have allowed their dogs to go through all that?

I sincerely hope the KC and the Cavalier club take the BBC for task for allowing such a biased program to be broadcast.

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
I too thought that she was very brave.  She obviously loves her breed to put up with what I am sure will be severe fall out.The Kennel Club is sitting on the fence.  What is all this about losing the breeders if they put their foot down?  Where else are they going to register their pups,  and unregistered pups can't be shown nor command high selling prices?  I just don't understand this argument.

No I am not a breeder and yes it is my business.  It is every animal lovers business.

Unregistered pedigree puppies can command high prices, enough to make it worth while breeding them! For people who just want a pet.

You need to get your facts about the KC right, they run testing schemes but not all breeders have their dogs scored for HD, or tested for PRA, so don't batter the KC just because they appeared to come out badly. They were not allowed to answer questions properly, were cut off from saying things. It was just so set up to damn anything to do with pedigree dogs, the KC and dog breeders.

Of course stopping close in-breeding (father/daughter etc) will not solve all the problems. The major problem is breeding within a small gene pool and using dogs which are unhealthy (with or without the knowledge of the owner). Talking of whippets I do not know if anyone is deliberately breeding from unhealthy dogs but they are breeding father to daughter which is deliberately flouting the advice of vetinarians and geneticists who know much more about this than the breeders themselves. These are people at the top of our breed (judged by show success) who should be setting a better example.

bertha said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:
I too thought that she was very brave.  She obviously loves her breed to put up with what I am sure will be severe fall out.The Kennel Club is sitting on the fence.  What is all this about losing the breeders if they put their foot down?  Where else are they going to register their pups,  and unregistered pups can't be shown nor command high selling prices?  I just don't understand this argument.

No I am not a breeder and yes it is my business.  It is every animal lovers business.

Unregistered pedigree puppies can command high prices, enough to make it worth while breeding them! For people who just want a pet.

You need to get your facts about the KC right, they run testing schemes but not all breeders have their dogs scored for HD, or tested for PRA, so don't batter the KC just because they appeared to come out badly. They were not allowed to answer questions properly, were cut off from saying things. It was just so set up to damn anything to do with pedigree dogs, the KC and dog breeders.

Didn't say they don't run testing schemes. Get your facts right. I still don't understand that particular argument.

Back