The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Barking during the night

jenb91

Registered
Reaction score
I have a 9 1/2 month old border terrier and until around 2 months ago he slept right through the night. Recently between 12-2 at night he will start to bark for no reason. It genuinely is for no reason. We've made sure.

The problem is we live in a flat and the barking is getting increasingly louder. So I can't just ignore him because I have neighbours. I can only leave him for 3/4 minutes before I have to go and shoosh him (physically put him back into his bed without talking to him). But this only settles him for a very short time and then he starts to bark again.

When he is left alone during the day when we are at work he does not bark. I need a fix for this ASAP as an hour of barking every night is so distuptive!!

Key info -

- we bring him into bed in the morning so that we can have a longer lie if required.

- when he stays at my mums house twice a week he sleeps in her bed.

- he sleeps in a pen not a crate

- I'm writing this at 3.37am been awake since 2am

Most of time it happens because of loneliness. And the main proof of that problem is in your Key info. "when he stays at my mums house twice a week he sleeps in her bed." Now he created a habit. So you have to brake it. It takes time but you can do it.

Pen/crate is not the issue, my dog has only ever had a bed in the kitchen.

I agree with above, if he is used to sleeping in your mums bed twice a week or even yours in the morning it may be giving mixed signals?

I agree your with above your mum is csusing the problem by not doing the same as you do at night all dog books eyptc will tell to keep a routine and all members of family should stick to it even at het house she should have same crate like you have or take yours there it gonna be hard to brake the habit now of slee ping in the bed. Rose

Back