The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Barf Diet

Roedeane

Registered
Reaction score
:blink: Having persuaded a friend of mine to try raw feeding of her dogs, she has a problem with her greyhound. Lizzy loves raw anything and all the bones etc., but every time she eats them she vomits the lot up and has bad diarrhoea for 2-3 days.Thinking she was eating too fast, we tried holding the meat, chicken wings etc to slow her down - but the same happens. She adores the bones/raw meat so it would be such a shame to abandon feeding it, so does anyone have any ideas? She's fine chewing marrow bones, but doesn't get the meat etc :wacko:

You could try giving her a turkey leg to slow her down. These are huge so she should have to think about it! Turkey is kind on the stomach too. Otherwise I'd just give her mince and marrow bones and see how her tummy is with that. :thumbsup:

Was the raw meat introduced into her diet gradually or was she just put straight onto it??

It could be that she needs to be introduced slowly and built up gradually so her tummy gets used to it.

What ever happens good luck :luck:

Roedeane said:
:blink:   Having persuaded a friend of mine to try raw feeding of her dogs, she has a problem with her greyhound. Lizzy loves raw anything and all the bones etc., but every time she eats them she vomits the lot up and has bad diarrhoea for 2-3 days.Thinking she was eating too fast, we tried holding the meat, chicken wings etc to slow her down - but the same happens. She adores the bones/raw meat so it would be such a shame to abandon feeding it, so does  anyone have any ideas? She's fine chewing marrow bones, but doesn't get the meat etc :wacko:
Have you tried giving her live yougart? I know it sounds mad but it works wonders for the digestion particually if the dog has just had a course of antibiotics or other drugs from the vet but it also works as a tonic.also its just my opion but i dont give Marrow type bones to my dogs as i find the get nothing out of them but worn out teeth i think its best to stick to the type of bones the dog can grind up lamb rib ,chicken etc try the youagert maybe once or twice aweek for a few weeks if it works you should see a differance within a week and then see if the prob comes back best of luc

tHANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS - YES SHE HAS BEEN INTRODUCED VERY SLOWLY TO THE DIET, AND IT'S LIVE YOGURT that has sorted her tummy out after each bout! so at a loss still!

Have you tried giving her live yougart? I know it sounds mad but it works wonders for the digestion particually if the dog has just had a course of antibiotics or other drugs from the vet but it also works as a tonic.also its just my opion but i dont give Marrow type bones to my dogs as i find the get nothing out of them but worn out teeth i think its best to stick to the type of bones the dog can grind up lamb rib ,chicken etc try the youagert maybe once or twice aweek for a few weeks if it works you should see a differance within a week and then see if the prob comes back best of luc
Funny you should say this as this weekend ive just gone out & brought some.

Been having nightmares with one of my whippies, i have tried EVERY & i mean EVERY complete diet going & she just totally isn't interested, would rather starve!

She has gone off: lamb, liver, heart mince, turkey the lot. Only thing she will eat is cooked chicken then the next day i can hear her tummy rumbling & gurgling is normally sick or got the runs, then doesn't eat for the next couple of days, think its too much protein.

Tearing my hair out as she is getting thinner & thinner soooo this weekend went out & brought live yoghurt. Started her on it Sunday, morning & night & again this morning & lo & behold she has started to eat.

Had fillet steak & wholemeal rice last night & tonight steamed boneless cod, rice & a tiny bit of complete.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she is on the up as i have tried EVERYTHING, so i would definitely at the moment recommend the live yoghurt :thumbsup:

Roedeane said:
:blink:   Having persuaded a friend of mine to try raw feeding of her dogs, she has a problem with her greyhound. Lizzy loves raw anything and all the bones etc., but every time she eats them she vomits the lot up and has bad diarrhoea for 2-3 days.Thinking she was eating too fast, we tried holding the meat, chicken wings etc to slow her down - but the same happens. She adores the bones/raw meat so it would be such a shame to abandon feeding it, so does  anyone have any ideas? She's fine chewing marrow bones, but doesn't get the meat etc :wacko:
Ahhhh,someone else with this problem!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was just our crazy Whippets who were having problems with the BARF. Ours did exactly the same and we tried everything but I guess some dogs like humans are fine on certain diets and some are'nt.Ours loved the BARF too but it very obviously did'nt love them and in the end I have just gone back to our dried food and their tummies are fine again,I don't see any point in putting the dog thru that if it is so desperately trying to tell you that it does'nt agree with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
nina said:

Been having nightmares with one of my whippies, i have tried EVERY & i mean EVERY complete diet going & she just totally isn't interested, would rather starve!

She has gone off: lamb, liver, heart mince, turkey the lot. Only thing she will eat is cooked chicken then the next day i can hear her tummy rumbling & gurgling is normally sick or got the runs, then doesn't eat for the next couple of days, think its too much protein.

Tearing my hair out as she is getting thinner & thinner soooo this weekend went out & brought live yoghurt. Started her on it Sunday, morning & night & again this morning & lo & behold she has started to eat.

Had fillet steak & wholemeal rice last night & tonight steamed boneless cod, rice & a tiny bit of complete.

Keeping my fingers crossed that she is on the up as i have tried EVERYTHING, so i would definitely at the moment recommend the live yoghurt :thumbsup:

Fillet steak, good lord above does thow fancy a lodger

keith

midlanderkeith said:
nina said:

keith

Hmmmmm I have already tried that Keith,we have'nt got enough legs for that and are far too human looking!! hee hee :teehee: Now if you were a Whippet............

05whippet said:
midlanderkeith said:
nina said:

keith

Hmmmmm I have already tried that Keith,we have'nt got enough legs for that and are far too human looking!! hee hee :teehee: Now if you were a Whippet............

Have u tried a good old fashioned tin of dog meat n some mixer.

Sorry im not a whippet, but im built like one

keith

Have u tried a good old fashioned tin of dog meat n some mixer.Sorry im not a whippet, but im built like one

keith

Keith i have tried EVERYTHING from tripe to the best cooked meats, fish from Salmon to sardines, tinned meat, complete foods EVERYTHING!!

I know people say just put it down if she doesn't eat it pick it up BUT i worry myself sick & she is only a little mite to begin with & not eating just a day & i can see her looking like a hat rack so i have to give in.

But since starting the yoghurt she is doing well on the fillet steak & rice & cod fillets & rice so i hope we progress from here.

Yeah come & be the lodger....................you can finish off the tripe she wont touch (w00t)

nina said:
Have u tried a good old fashioned tin of dog meat n some mixer.Sorry im not a whippet, but im built like one

keith

Keith i have tried EVERYTHING from tripe to the best cooked meats, fish from Salmon to sardines, tinned meat, complete foods EVERYTHING!!

I know people say just put it down if she doesn't eat it pick it up BUT i worry myself sick & she is only a little mite to begin with & not eating just a day & i can see her looking like a hat rack so i have to give in.

But since starting the yoghurt she is doing well on the fillet steak & rice & cod fillets & rice so i hope we progress from here.

Yeah come & be the lodger....................you can finish off the tripe she wont touch (w00t)

Is it the green tripe or free flow, im not fussy, now then Nina have u tried grating some cheese over her food, just trying to help

keith

Is it the green tripe or free flow, im not fussy,  now then Nina have u tried grating some cheese over her food, just trying to help                    keith

I've tried both green & free flow, she wont even sniff them. If i put cheese on her food thats it she thinks i am trying to poison her!!

Even tried adding a knob of butter, but no wont touch it.

We have made her stews with braised steak & dumplings, breast of lamb, salmon fillets, tried raw meat she just wont touch it.

Likes roast chicken & thats it BUT you cant feed a dog on roast chicken alone & i think it is so much protein it then upsets her.

Any kind of roughage she wont touch.

I'm hoping this yoghurt will put her back on track & i'm trying to be strong & just keep to the cod & fillet steak with rice then once she is used to it gonna try adding some biscuit or complete. :thumbsup:

nina said:
Is it the green tripe or free flow, im not fussy,   now then Nina have u tried grating some cheese over her food, just trying to help                    keith

I've tried both green & free flow, she wont even sniff them. If i put cheese on her food thats it she thinks i am trying to poison her!!

Even tried adding a knob of butter, but no wont touch it.

We have made her stews with braised steak & dumplings, breast of lamb, salmon fillets, tried raw meat she just wont touch it.

Likes roast chicken & thats it BUT you cant feed a dog on roast chicken alone & i think it is so much protein it then upsets her.

Any kind of roughage she wont touch.

I'm hoping this yoghurt will put her back on track & i'm trying to be strong & just keep to the cod & fillet steak with rice then once she is used to it gonna try adding some biscuit or complete. :thumbsup:

Marvelous how our dogs differ innit, ive got my 12 months old bitch on beta greyhound, and its rampant in my books with protein, 28% but her looks well on it she gets that once a day, if your dog isnt eating the above which have made my mouth water, then may i suggest a doggy bag. :lol:

keith

Marvelous how our dogs differ innit, ive got my 12 months old bitch on beta greyhound, and its rampant in my books with protein, 28% but her looks well on it she gets that once a day, if your dog isnt eating the above which have made my mouth water, then may i suggest a doggy bag.  :lol:
                      keith

Yep, i know what you are saying cos the other one who is 6 months younger is the greediest thing on 4 legs (w00t)

She will eat ANYTHING even try & pinch the live yoghurt from the tub that the other one thinks i am trying to poison her with :blink:

She has 3 fair meals a day this younger one varying from complete to steak/chicken/liver/fish with rice or pasta & veg & she will still raid the fridge & the dustbin at every opportunity!

Wish i could make the older one like her :lol:

nina said:
Marvelous how our dogs differ innit, ive got my 12 months old bitch on beta greyhound, and its rampant in my books with protein, 28% but her looks well on it she gets that once a day, if your dog isnt eating the above which have made my mouth water, then may i suggest a doggy bag.   :lol:
                      keith

Yep, i know what you are saying cos the other one who is 6 months younger is the greediest thing on 4 legs (w00t)

She will eat ANYTHING even try & pinch the live yoghurt from the tub that the other one thinks i am trying to poison her with :blink:

She has 3 fair meals a day this younger one varying from complete to steak/chicken/liver/fish with rice or pasta & veg & she will still raid the fridge & the dustbin at every opportunity!

Wish i could make the older one like her :lol:

I blame the breeder! :- "

Back