The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bald Patch

PoppyLuv

Registered
Reaction score
My 6 month old female pup as a bald patch appearing on her hind quarters vet says it's nothing to worry bout but wondered if anyone could recommend any creams I could put on it as it looks a bit dry and red....

Hallo :)

There was a thread on this subject not so long ago, here is the link

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=64283

Hibiscrub is always a good starting point coupled with diet :thumbsup:

I'm quite surprised that your vet has ignored the issue, maybe that's because he doesn't know what it might be?

I hope you can clear it up, but, generally speaking, creams are a no-no as they just cause more irritation :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hallo :) There was a thread on this subject not so long ago, here is the link

I'm quite surprised that your vet has ignored the issue, maybe that's because he doesn't know what it might be?

I hope you can clear it up, but, generally speaking, creams are a no-no as they just cause more irritation :luck: :luck: :luck:
Thanks for this - really helpful - Vet did suggest changing her diet as she keeps getting an upset stomach so also trying to get her onto Chappie as recommended by vet but also seen others suggest on here.

I have had a similar problem with my boy Beau. He started with a bald patch on his front right leg and then got one around his loin area and a couple more on his front right leg. I took him to the vets who did a few tests and gave him some Fuciderm (which didn't seem to do anything), I then brought some Camrosa which I saw advertised in Dog World (this seemed to calm the skin down but is rather expensive), someone from ringcraft suggested using Aloe Vera (this helped to get rid of the dryness on his skin) and finally Sudacream was recommended and since using this his hair is starting to grow back :lol: If only I had tried it straight away it would of saved me a bit of money, but I am just happy that it is starting to go back to normal now.

if any of my dogs ever get a sore bald patch i use bob grass cream is stinks but it will grow hair on a stone

Last edited by a moderator:
has he been nibbling in that area Pagan used to when he was younger his shin was dry so he has piltchered a cupple of times a week and it sorted it.

My 6 month old female pup as a bald patch appearing on her hind quarters vet says it's nothing to worry bout but wondered if anyone could recommend any creams I could put on it as it looks a bit dry and red....
Hi there,

My male whippet pup developed bald patches on his thighs & the vet tried 2 skin scrapes which were negative. However the bald patches grew larger & lesions appeared, vet did another skin scrape & Demodex Mite was found. He prescribed Aludex Shampoo & after 3 shampoos at 6 days apart my dogs coat is looking better & I think that he on the mend. I am also dosing my dog with Advantage which is effective against Demodex, every 4 weeks. I also assist his immune system with Vitamin E400IU. All dogs have Demodex however if the mite is passed on to her pups, any of the pups with a low immune system may show signs of Demodex, the mite is very resilient & live in the hair follicles, their life cycle is around seven weeks or so & they breed on the surface of the skin, so they have to leave the hair follicle to breed & this is generally achieved during darkness. My own observations on my dog's skin was that of scratch open marks which I thought was caused by my dog scratching, however this was not the case. As the Demodex Mite is in the process of dying, they release a toxin & cause lesions on the dogs skin. Adult dogs do not have a problem with the mite, however pups with a low immune system do, once the immune system develops ie 12-18 months the Demodex usually disappears. I spent a lot of money on diets & medications etc for my dog, I wish that I had just treated him for Demodex at the outset.

Hi there,

My male whippet pup developed bald patches on his thighs & the vet tried 2 skin scrapes which were negative. However the bald patches grew larger & lesions appeared, vet did another skin scrape & Demodex Mite was found. He prescribed Aludex Shampoo & after 3 shampoos at 6 days apart my dogs coat is looking better & I think that he on the mend. I am also dosing my dog with Advantage which is effective against Demodex, every 4 weeks. I also assist his immune system with Vitamin E400IU. All dogs have Demodex however if the mite is passed on to her pups, any of the pups with a low immune system may show signs of Demodex, the mite is very resilient & live in the hair follicles, their life cycle is around seven weeks or so & they breed on the surface of the skin, so they have to leave the hair follicle to breed & this is generally achieved during darkness. My own observations on my dog's skin was that of scratch open marks which I thought was caused by my dog scratching, however this was not the case. As the Demodex Mite is in the process of dying, they release a toxin & cause lesions on the dogs skin. Adult dogs do not have a problem with the mite, however pups with a low immune system do, once the immune system develops ie 12-18 months the Demodex usually disappears. I spent a lot of money on diets & medications etc for my dog, I wish that I had just treated him for Demodex at the outset.
Do you know if cats can get this too? One of my cats has had a lot of problems with sore bald patches this autumn.

Do you know if cats can get this too? One of my cats has had a lot of problems with sore bald patches this autumn.

Our cat as suffered with a bald patch twice in the past 7 years ,it appears at the base of his tail and it was very sore for him , our vet said it was common at this time of the year ,its a eczema but carnt remember the name,he gave us cream and it cleared up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cats can pick up demodectic mange but it's a different type.

Demodectic mange also occurs in other domestic and wild animals. The mites are specific to their hosts, and each mammal species is host to one or two unique species of Demodex mites. There are two types of demodectic mange in cats. Demodex cati causes follicular mange, similar to that seen in dogs, though it is much less common. Demodex gatoi is a more superficial form of mange, causes an itchy skin condition, and is contagious amongst cats.

Thanks for this - really helpful - Vet did suggest changing her diet as she keeps getting an upset stomach so also trying to get her onto Chappie as recommended by vet but also seen others suggest on here.
Hi, My lad started with a bald patch on his thigh. I started to use Hibiscrub as advised by Jinnyfizz. Everything started to clear up, it was brilliant, but a couple of weeks later i noticed it reappearing, very flakey, so cut my loses and took him vets. She warned it could be mange, but would try antibiotics first! He ended up on AB's for 2 weeks, vet diagnosing skin infection. It did clear up. Until last week, when I noticed the patch is slowly coming back.

Don't really want him to go back on AB's, but surely if it was mange, it would have spread to my other dogs? Looks like another vet visit.

Good luck Poppyluv

Hi, My lad started with a bald patch on his thigh. I started to use Hibiscrub as advised by Jinnyfizz. Everything started to clear up, it was brilliant, but a couple of weeks later i noticed it reappearing, very flakey, so cut my loses and took him vets. She warned it could be mange, but would try antibiotics first! He ended up on AB's for 2 weeks, vet diagnosing skin infection. It did clear up. Until last week, when I noticed the patch is slowly coming back.

Don't really want him to go back on AB's, but surely if it was mange, it would have spread to my other dogs? Looks like another vet visit.

Good luck Poppyluv
Grace gets this too. She seems to be fine in the summer but as winter approaches the bald patches develop. I've ordered some Bob Grass Skincure - will let you know how I get on with it.

I am a fan of Bob Grass Skincure - worked wonders on a bite wound that Merlin had. Still a small bit of hair missing from the scar, but much less noticeable than it was. The cream smells very odd, but its quite addictive! Dogs don't seem to want to lick it off, which is a bonus.

Back