The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Bakewell

aslan said:
3.  There are many amongst the show fraternity who don't just breed to and for the fashion of the day. (Though sadly, I have to admit there are many who do) There are many who breed for what they believe to be correct even though it does not sit well with what is currently winning.  There are many who delve into the depths of their own dogs' pedigrees and try to take those few steps backwards to bring things into perspective.  I remember a while ago I mentioned my interest in working back towards Gainscliffe Renown (just one of the dogs at the back of my pedigrees that I am interested in) and because, of course, I had never seen him in the flesh, I asked for the opinions of those who had.  If I remember correctly, a couple of people said that while he was a nice dog he would not win today.  Do you think that turned me off the idea.....And yes - if it got me what I want it would most certainly be worth it ....
Precisely what I have done, and will continue to do, and the reason why I used the french-bred dog to produce the litter that Rupert and Aimee came out of. I think their success speaks for itself.

Reminds me of having a conversation about breeding with a friend of mine and I said something about the pedigree of some dog or other having dogs in there that I would not want in my pedigree so would not consider using him although I liked the dog himself . Her reply was "Oh, I never bother looking at pedigrees, that's all in the past and I look forward"

My ghast was flabbered. Each to their own I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
dessie said:
Reminds me of having a conversation about breeding with a friend of mine and I said something about the pedigree of some dog or other having dogs in there that I would not want in my pedigree so would not consider using him although I liked the dog himself .  Her reply was "Oh, I never bother looking at pedigrees, that's all in the past and I look forward"
My ghast was flabbered.  Each to their own I suppose.
Look forward to what though (w00t)

I had a ghast once.

Back