The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Attention Whippet Owners

This realy does hurt to say but I fully agree with Carol :sweating:

I noticed Daphne,that you are going to a dog show this week-end,to see the whips.I may be wrong,but I think this particular show has pulled a very low entry,if I am thinking of the same show,there are 13 whippet dogs entered and 15 whippet bitches entered.If they don't all turn up,you may have travelled a long way for very little.

If you do go,I'd try and chat to a few breeders,and see if you could go to their home and spend some hours with them.Maybe go on a walk with them etc.

Alternatively,just contact some,and see if they will do this,with out going to the show.

Also, your hopes of a pup at 5 - 6 months being house trained,I wouldn't rely on.After helping with rescue dogs over the years,everyone who wanted an adult,was because they assumed it would be house trained.

When you have a new dog in your home,even if it is very mature,you have to go through the house training routine.Some adult dogs are very clean,and quickly pick it up.A lot though,need gentle reminding/complete house training.

I would also suggest,that you get a pup who was raised in a house as opposed to a kennel.

With all of my pups,as babies they are taken outside for toileting,every hour,as well as straight after meals and playing.I would discuss with your au pair,if she is intested in helping with the house training.A pup at 8 weeks,will need to go out more frequently,but should also sleep more than an older one.By 5-6 months of age,it will be tearing around more,and IMO,harder work to keep an eye on.

If you get a younger one,when it gets to this age,it will know the routine in your home and hopefully be easier.

Lyd

Sorry, Daphne, I missed the bit in your post where you said someone would be around most of the day :( and seeing that dogs are allowed on the playing fields, then I can't see any problem.

Go for it!!

Personally, I like to get young pups - it means more 'toilet breaks', but to my mind, it's well worth it. They settle in quickly and easily adapt to the routine of the home.

Just my opinion.

Jackie

Hi Daphne,I personally don't think it makes much difference what age you get a whippet.I got Flyn at 8 weeks old & of course had all the fun & joy of watching him grow up.Alfie was nearly 5 months old when i got him & he just settled straight in,& Murphy was 9 months old & he just slotted straight in.Considering he'd spent the last few months being a kennel dog he has never had an accident in the house & quickly learn't to appreciate the home comforts.I realise that none of them came here as an "only dog", but i really don't think that the age factor matters.

It's personal preference really.

like most sprinters whippets are most at home sleeping on a soft bed, they only need a blast if they are in training for racing, almost all other types of dog require more excercise than whippets or greyhounds, if its a low maintainence and loving pet you want then whippets are No1 in my book. PS if you do chose to not excercise to much, watch how much you feed as a fat whippet is not a pretty site or a healthy pet for the family, can only end up at the vets. good luck.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice - still happy to take on more if you feel inclined to part with it !

Daphne.

i have 4 whippets 2 show dogs and 2 pets as they didnt take to showing each as thereown different tempri ment as long as you give them plenty of love thats all a whippet needs but i would get one from 8wks as you train it to fit in to your life style they quickley adapt . but remember puppies will be destuctive at first i have a 1 yr old and my grandaughter as to put pencils etc above her head but great when we leave him in i usually let mine off when we go to woods but not with any other dogs as with having a younger one the others protect make sure he comes back to your command and youlle be okay

Our two get free running, but not within 1/4 mile of a road. They are pretty reliable, and their love of a game of Frisbee makes them even more so if I call them to play Frisbee, but I would never trust them in a football field that wasn't completely enclosed - no matter how reliable I thought they were. They are sighthounds, all it takes is the sight of something quick moving or blowing in the direction of the un-enclosed area and they could be under the wheels of a car:(

Just my choice. They do get fair off-lead stuff, but we just find other places to take them to do that, like the heath or the beach. And when we can't do that we race them round the back garden with balls and frisbees.

Wendy

Remember whippets are sighthounds and for teh mosy their motto is "if it moves chase it". They are excellent at selective hearing!!

I remember many years ago (about 20) when I was out with my mum, sister and two friends. The Whippet we had out was on lead and suddenly jumped in to a bush and came out with a rabbit!!! It was the Easter holidays and their were loads of people arounf showing their kids the baby rabbits and Wendy wanted to eat the one she had just caught!! It was very embarrassing.

[SIZE=14pt]LOL![/SIZE]

Don't you just love them Katana!!!

"Laguna" is the kennel name for Mrs Dorrit Mckay - a very famous whippet breeder. Mrs McKay died in 2000 and the kennel name has been taken over by Mrs L M Bond Gunning. (according to my biennial).

Hi Daphne, We have never had any probs running our dogs off the lead, we make sure we are well away from the road, then let them off. How are you ever gonna train your puppy to come back if you dont let them. The best reward for comming back is to let them go again & keep recalling them. Our youngest dog is 15 weeks & she is fine with the recall. I think they must run free as well as lead walking, its just what they do best, they LOVE it ;)

Um, Lilah is now married.She happily accepts either her married name,or previous name Bond - Gunning.

Her lines were started by her mother,from Tiptree whippets in 1939. Over the years,many excellent whippets have come from Laguna lines,although Lilah's main interests now, are coursing.

Her married name is Mrs R J Wainman,her address has stayed the same.

Personally, I would only buy a Laguna Whippet from Lilah herself,or a breeder she personally recomended to me.Sometimes,you spot an advert that states that their whippets are from Laguna lines,or Line bred Laguna's.Obviously,I do not know all these peeps personally,and they are probably, genuine respectable breeders.But I suspect a few,are just trying to cash in,on the Laguna success.

This is just IMHO,but have always found Lilah helpfull,friendly and well worth chatting to.

Lyd

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree whipsters are very addictive, one is never enough :oops: mine love to walk on the lead and also love to have a free run on the field, we would not be without the whipsters they are part of the family.... as for letting them off a lead I always only let one off at a time and i make sure that no other dogs are running free near us, as they tend to want to run after the other dogs and play :angry: I also walk the ground that i am going to let the whipster off on just to make sure the ground has no pot holes glass etc on it as nasty injuries can occur, Good luck in your quest and may you have plenty happy whipsters :p

Lydia said:
Um, Lilah is now married.She happily accepts either her married name,or previous name Bond - Gunning.
Her lines were started by her mother,from Tiptree whippets in 1939. Over the years,many excellent whippets have come from Laguna lines,although Lilah's main interests now, are coursing.

Her married name is Mrs R J Wainman,her address has stayed the same.

Personally, I would only buy a Laguna Whippet from Lilah herself,or a breeder she personally recomended to me.Sometimes,you spot an advert that  states that their whippets are from Laguna lines,or Line bred Laguna's.Obviously,I do not know all these peeps personally,and they are probably, genuine respectable breeders.But I suspect a few,are just trying to cash in,on the Laguna success.

This is just IMHO,but have always found Lilah helpfull,friendly and well worth chatting to.

Lyd

Welcome to K9 Daphne... and good luck in your search for a whippet. I agree they are addicitive.... I came on this site in 2004 looking for a puppy and got Oscsr aged 14 weeks.... then when he was 8 months old I got another puppy aged 10 weeks now Kobi.

I have just added a third whippet Archie aged 8 weeks. Yes those first few months are quite hard.... I work part time and have been able to leave mine for a few hours each day and train them around my time at home too. I wouldnt be without them and love every day with them. :) :thumbsup:

I invested in a crate... which I wouldnt be without - it was a godsend for the puppies at night and during the day.

All my dogs are allowed off the leash from quite a young age, and they do come back and are quite good around sheep too as I live in a rural area, so I think whippets are quite easy to train in most cases. :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to get a pup around 10 weeks. If you can find an older pup that has been raised and partly trained then great, but be VERY picky about who you get it from. Really cheack them out and get recommendations from other breeders about them too. If people from the whippet community don't know much about the breeder then steer clear is my advice. I still think it will be a bit of work no matter what age pup you get.

I like a young pup because I start off leash training right from the start to get a really good recall. Most young pups will stick pretty close by you anyway so all I do is make sure I always have LOTS of good treats and really parise them when the come to me on their own or if they come to their name bieng called. I NEVER use the word "come" untill much later when we get into serious training. That way the don't learn to ignore it. And I NEVER scold, use a harsh tone of voice, or correct a dog when they come to me, even though I might feel like I really want to. I ALWAYS sound happy when they come, even if it's not right away.

Both my dogs have an EXCELLENT recall, and most of my greyhound fosters too, using these ideals. I was even able to call my 9month old off a rabbit the other day and he REALLY wanted it too!

Not matter what you get really do your reaserch and make sure you are able to commit to work that's involved. Mabey looking into a rescued dog might be a good idea if you are worried about houstraining. Some rescues or breeders may have older dogs looking for a home and it may just be a better fit than a puppy. Just something to think about.

FoxyDog

:oops: I think this is an old thread from 2004 that has been bumped up, guys! :lol:

Zephyr said:
:oops: I think this is an old thread from 2004 that has been bumped up, guys! :lol:

What a pity Daphane didn't let us know how she got on. It was an excellent read.

Back