The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Ashamed And Amazed

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh you poor thing...your blood pressure must have been sky high by the time he came back to you - bless him...whats more tempting and interesting to a whippet than a low flying swearing terrier...oh what a silly woman!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

I started doing obedience with one of my whippys earlier this year and he seems to really enjoy it. We are having some success with distance control and maybe you could try teaching this, I do find that it takes Mally quite a long time to go down but by teaching distance control you are teaching the dog to go down by folding himself backwards ie laying down from his back end first (hope that makes sense). Rather than teaching yours to drop could you teach the "stop" command, at my class we do recalls and then have to stop them, in whatever position, at varying distances from start to handler. I find this is more effective with all of mine if I shout "stop" but it does have to be in a really loud firm voice. I think your dog was just being typically nosy and probably thinking stupid woman to hold a swearing dog over her head! :D

when i had my dogs i had a few people like the terrier woman, i know they were lurchers and came when called, but i can't see why a whippet can't learn the word drop, as they are very intelligent and ameniable dogs, a few of the k9 ers on the working and coursing site have working whippets and their dogs have to have quite a bit of training esspecially when lamping so need to know recall and drop as it can be quite hazzardous, i wish you luck but i don't think you will need it as i have said whippets are very inteligent, you could also try going to a gun dog trainer as well as they can be very usefull

Regards

Debbie

Perhaps if this lady has had a bad experience in the past with an off lead dog approaching her aggressive terrier this might explain why she hauls it into the air when a dog approaches. Maybe its behaviour has provoked some kind of attack in the past and so she lifts it up, - not to stop it from biting but to to stop it from getting bitten.

It does seem strange behaviour, but although Finn approached in a friendly manner remember she doesn't know him like you do and may just have felt very vulnerable in case he retaliated to her own aggressive dog. Just a thought.

Good luck with the training! :thumbsup:

I’ve been teaching my 6mt old pup to sit on command no mater how far away he is. I wouldn’t say its an automatic reaction yet but I will certainly persevere. Yesterday evening we saw about 6 large lurchers being exercised off lead a few hundred yards away. He started to run off in their direction so I shouted sit and he did. I think he would have been less inclined to return directly to me as he could still sit and watch the fun. I quickly walked over to him and put him on the lead and headed off in the opposite direction – fear to think what might have happened if he had sprinted over to them. Maybe nothing but you never know.

Eamonn

RE: whippets and the down command

when Milo was a young dog he was taken to training classes, where after a number of commands were mastered we moved on to the harder stuff- Send away and Down. To do this the teacher stood at one end of the hall with a treat, the theory was that I'd send Milo to her and then shout down and she'd do the hand signal and reward him.

Milo's send away was supurb, unfortuantly he sidetracked the teacher and dived nose first into the tub of sausages on the table behind her.

He never did master it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sorry i found your story very funny aswell :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no idea if the DOWN command works, but have you tried using a whistle?

i bought a whistle a few months ago, and i have never looked back since,

they get a treat every time the whistle blows and they come flying back,

Ruby can even be running full speed, do a 180 spin and still be coming full speed back to you, no real pause anywhere,

which i find amazing (w00t)

i have no idea how they would react to the flying swearing terrier (w00t) (w00t) but going by situations i have been in i would say the would be 80$ lickly to come back on the first whistle blow, but definatly by the second :thumbsup:

That's a great idea ... unfortunately they already recall to the whistle, that's what he was ignoring, that and me calling and trying to make myself the most exciting thing on the planet. Ah well, I shall persevere until it's sorted.

Annie

sorry to butt in but as someone who doesn't actually own a dog at the moment I can't stand beside my 'perfect dog' nor shrink away at the thought of my 'not so perfect' dog.
I found the whole thing probably a bit funny and a bit embrassing on both sides. It's quite embrassing when your dog doesn't come back as requested you can have 99.9% recall but there's always the .1% that lets you down - running in the oppostite direction is always funny. It also pretty embrassing when you have to lift your dog up away for other dogs so it won't bite chunks out of them. It also very funny to think of some crazy women running hell for leather with a dog on her head.

Back when I walked my 'family' dog I came across someone with a walking stick or similar and my dog just went to say hello his dog - tails wagging etc and the man gave my dog a knock with it. I wonder if how he'd like it if someone came up to him a belted him across the backs of the legs with a stick for saying hello to another walker. I often say hello to people while I'm out walking - arn't the dogs doing the same thing.

i completely agree with you and if my dog approached someone and they hit it with a stick they'd find themselves wearing the stick.there are always going to be mistakes when a dog doesn't recall the second it's meant to and sadly there are always going to be people who over react to a non threatening approach by a naughty dog.sadly it's just the way of the world.

my dogs are never let off lead if other dogs are around despite my dogs being under control i can't speak for other people and their dogs so mine stay on lead but we tend to walk in the woods etc where there are rarely other dogs or walkers. if we see anyone in the distance my dogs all go on lead whether the other person has theirs on lead or not.

Annie - have you read 'Control Unleashed' by Leslie McDevitt? It's my latest new 'find' and is quite easily the best of the current crop of useful, sane clicker training books applied by people who understand dogs *and* the science.

she has two things that might help = training the 'whiplash turn' which is when a dog does a U turn in the air and comes back to you - and yes, she has pictures of (very cute) whippets in there - not doing the WLT but doing other things - this isn't a book just for collie owners by any means

also the 'Look at That' or 'Give me a Break' exercises which are both designed to take something very, very interesting and put it on cue would be be useful. Of course you have to work on them in a low-distraction environment and then take them out on the road gradually with varying levels of distraction, but both are worth it and the book (and the DVDs tho' I haven't got them yet) are excellent. There's also a Yahoo support list for people specifically working with CU techniques.

It's the business - as long as you understand clicker training.

go for it!

e (and if you can't find it, let me know, I have a link to the place that sells it, but not sure I'm allowed to put that up)

Annie - have you read 'Control Unleashed' by Leslie McDevitt? It's my latest new 'find' and is quite easily the best of the current crop of useful, sane clicker training books applied by people who understand dogs *and* the science.
she has two things that might help = training the 'whiplash turn' which is when a dog does a U turn in the air and comes back to you - and yes, she has pictures of (very cute) whippets in there - not doing the WLT but doing other things - this isn't a book just for collie owners by any means

also the 'Look at That' or 'Give me a Break' exercises which are both designed to take something very, very interesting and put it on cue would be be useful. Of course you have to work on them in a low-distraction environment and then take them out on the road gradually with varying levels of distraction, but both are worth it and the book (and the DVDs tho' I haven't got them yet) are excellent. There's also a Yahoo support list for people specifically working with CU techniques.

It's the business - as long as you understand clicker training.

go for it!

e (and if you can't find it, let me know, I have a link to the place that sells it, but not sure I'm allowed to put that up)
Thanks e, I'll definitely give that a go!

Annie

sorry to butt in but as someone who doesn't actually own a dog at the moment I can't stand beside my 'perfect dog' nor shrink away at the thought of my 'not so perfect' dog.
I found the whole thing probably a bit funny and a bit embrassing on both sides. It's quite embrassing when your dog doesn't come back as requested you can have 99.9% recall but there's always the .1% that lets you down - running in the oppostite direction is always funny. It also pretty embrassing when you have to lift your dog up away for other dogs so it won't bite chunks out of them. It also very funny to think of some crazy women running hell for leather with a dog on her head.

Back when I walked my 'family' dog I came across someone with a walking stick or similar and my dog just went to say hello his dog - tails wagging etc and the man gave my dog a knock with it. I wonder if how he'd like it if someone came up to him a belted him across the backs of the legs with a stick for saying hello to another walker. I often say hello to people while I'm out walking - arn't the dogs doing the same thing.

i completely agree with you and if my dog approached someone and they hit it with a stick they'd find themselves wearing the stick.there are always going to be mistakes when a dog doesn't recall the second it's meant to and sadly there are always going to be people who over react to a non threatening approach by a naughty dog.sadly it's just the way of the world.

my dogs are never let off lead if other dogs are around despite my dogs being under control i can't speak for other people and their dogs so mine stay on lead but we tend to walk in the woods etc where there are rarely other dogs or walkers. if we see anyone in the distance my dogs all go on lead whether the other person has theirs on lead or not.
I think your attitude to keeping safe when other dogs are about is very sensible and one all dog owners should aim for.

However, due to my experiences with irresponsible dog walkers without of control dogs, i feel the need to carry a stick. My dogs have been attacked and injured in the past (as have I) and believe me, were the situation to occur again, i would not hesitate to try my best to defend my dogs.

We read about it on here every week in posts about peoples dogs being savaged.

It's great that so many people on here make the effort to train their dogs, if only everyone who ever took on a dog did this - a bit like a 'doggie driving license?' :D

I think your attitude to keeping safe when other dogs are about is very sensible and one all dog owners should aim for.

However, due to my experiences with irresponsible dog walkers without of control dogs, i feel the need to carry a stick. My dogs have been attacked and injured in the past (as have I) and believe me, were the situation to occur again, i would not hesitate to try my best to defend my dogs.

We read about it on here every week in posts about peoples dogs being savaged.

It's great that so many people on here make the effort to train their dogs, if only everyone who ever took on a dog did this - a bit like a 'doggie driving license?' :D
I had to have my terrier pts due to a staffie attack( my dog was on lead and walking beside me minding his own business) but I still can't bring myself to carry a stick just in case I misjudge the situation and hurt someones dog because of my fear after the previous attack.

I always keep my own dogs under control since their safety is paramount. :)

My humble opinion,

you can train whippets to be perfect at recall under controlled circumstances however when they're out off lead in open fields they won't recall if there's something far more interesting than you out there and they've seen it. I'd also forewarn you Annie that in my own experience the situation is even more difficult if you teach your dogs to chase (i.e. racing)

The other poster (sorry forgot their name) does have a valid point in that it's probably best to leash the dogs up when you see others approaching because you cannot predict how the other dog will behave and more worryingly (as in your case) how the owner will behave. I've encountered far too many individuals who have no perception whatsoever about how their own behaviour effects the way their dogs react to a situation and have turned it into chaos for all concerned.

If you do encounter a dog off lead whose owner can't be bothered leashing their dog then personally I find having your own dogs on leash keeps the situation under control and by putting yourself infront of the the approaching dog(s) tells your own that you'll handle the situation and tells the dog that's approaching that they'll have to deal with you.

By all means work on recall if you think they stray too far because it is beneficial but I can't help but feel that with these excitable, curious dogs do have a tendancy to go deaf when something happens and if you've got a couple off lead it makes the situation even more difficult to gain control of mainly because the approaching dog feels initimidated by whippets darting around them. The other thing is whippets are far too trusting that every dog and person out there is their mate and won't hurt them and it's a hard lesson for them to learn that this is not always the case.

Jac (the unsociable whippet walker who loves walking her dogs on murky days because she doesn't encounter idiots) :D

Jac (the unsociable whippet walker who loves walking her dogs on murky days because she doesn't encounter idiots) :D
i think we all become unsocibel when we have a few whippets carnt be bother with the hassle of other dogs and there owners. i feel slighly sad the winters ending and all the fair weather dog walkers will be about again

Back