The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Arthritis

jasper.

Registered
Reaction score
can anybody give me advice on products they have tried that have proven the best with there old dogs,,my old bitch uptown girl is 12 on boxing day, she is fine and still very playfull, but suffers with her front wrists..

jasper. said:
can anybody give me advice on products they have tried that have proven the  best with there old dogs,,my old bitch uptown girl is 12 on boxing day, she is fine and still very playfull, but suffers with her front wrists..
Our Milly who's nearly 14 suffer's with her wrist joint's Maurice, and the vet puts her on Metacam :thumbsup: but my best advise is to get her to your vets, and let him advise you whats best :thumbsup:

o:)

Get some glucosamine 1000mg and some msm 1000mg tablet's give her one of each every day you'l get them at healthy direct on the internet

Tommy_Carr said:
Get some glucosamine 1000mg  and some msm 1000mg tablet's give her one of each every day you'l get them at healthy direct on the internet
Was just on my way to the reply thingy at the bottom,to mention Glucosamine.I gave mine Glucosamine sulfate,but dont wait till they are starting to break down with old age.Megan thinks she is still a pup,and since,well,about 2 months after starting her on them,she is a different bitch completely.Another thing that was recomended to me was Paradox oils.Pretty expensive,at £12 a wee bottle,but well worth the buy.I gave Megan this daily,and 200mg of Glucosamine Sulfate.This substance is what Austrailian Formula gets some of it's great reviews for,as it's part of their ingredients.It is reconed that if a dog is already on the stuff,then when injuries occur,they heal pretty much faster. Ive been on 1000mg a day myself,since having my knee busted in bits by Kirsty's grehound bitch,and it's spot on.Anyway,that's a bit more than my penny's worth. ...Billy...

Last edited by a moderator:
found great success in the BIO FLOW collar with all my oldies so much so all my dogs wear them only time its taken off is just before a racethen straight back on

billyboy45 said:
Tommy_Carr said:
Get some glucosamine 1000mg  and some msm 1000mg tablet's give her one of each every day you'l get them at healthy direct on the internet
Was just on my way to the reply thingy at the bottom,to mention Glucosamine.I gave mine Glucosamine sulfate,but dont wait till they are starting to break down with old age.Megan thinks she is still a pup,and since,well,about 2 months after starting her on them,she is a different bitch completely.Another thing that was recomended to me was Paradox oils.Pretty expensive,at £12 a wee bottle,but well worth the buy.I gave Megan this daily,and 200mg of Glucosamine Sulfate.This substance is what Austrailian Formula gets some of it's great reviews for,as it's part of their ingredients.It is reconed that if a dog is already on the stuff,then when injuries occur,they heal pretty much faster. Ive been on 1000mg a day myself,since having my knee busted in bits by Kirsty's grehound bitch,and it's spot on.Anyway,that's a bit more than my penny's worth. ...Billy...

If you tell me the weight of the greyhound in question Billy, and the speed it was travelling on the point of impact, I will work out the force that hit you by a simple equation :- "

Only I've got alot of time on my hands, since I don't post on k9 anymore.

"Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty,

Without taking off your shoes"-- Mickey Mouse

milly said:
billyboy45 said:
Tommy_Carr said:

If you tell me the weight of the greyhound in question Billy, and the speed it was travelling on the point of impact, I will work out the force that hit you by a simple equation :- "

Only I've got alot of time on my hands, since I don't post on k9 anymore.

"Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty,

Without taking off your shoes"-- Mickey Mouse

She was 62 lb when she hit me,and was going full pelt after the lure,and did not slow down one bit,as she didnt have a clue that it would be stopping along the line somewhere.She was on top of it,and going to colide with the lure,battery n all,so i stepped in front of it,to try and make her swerve,but she sent me lure,battery n all flying across the field.It wqs only when i eventualy came round,that i knew what happened,and as my leg was bent sideways at 90 degrees,and my kneecap was round the back of my leg somewhere,that i knew this was summit serious.Cruciate ligament snapped,latteral,and colateral's goneTendon snapped.Other than that,i was having a whale of a time.Ohh.Forgot to add,2 great teeth holes in the place where my knee cap should have been,but no longer was,and i had been off the fags for just 4 month's.No,i didn't start smoking again,though the ambulance driver,who picked me up and gave me a nice lift to the hospital,from the middle of the field,had a lovely big fat packet of Embassy Regal in his shirt pocket.When i got through that,there was nothing in the world that would make me start them again.I think the good man above was testing me out.One thing i did find out that day though.There is not a fag in the world,that would even count with that gas n air stuff Geoff.It was flippin great mate.Now i know why women get pregnant.They're smarter than we think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tommy_Carr said:
Tommy,

A silly question but what does msm stand for?

Jenny

Jenny said:
Tommy_Carr said:
Tommy,

A silly question but what does msm stand for?

Jenny

methylsulfonylmethane

had to double check the spelling but you can see now why it goes under the name msm it is a natural source of sulphor

Hi Maurice old pal ---

there are no cures as yet only pain relief that voltarol rub is quite good and the i believe rub eases the pain i use them on my own leg ==

also a rub with the odd pork pie helps lol

steve :thumbsup: :p

Hi Maurice

Blue goblin suffered from Arthritis in her hips from 4 years old..the vet did put her on a none steroid anti inflammatory table Tolfedine for a short period of time , but due to Side Effects (Gastro-intestinal intolerance which is generally reversible upon withdrawal of the drug.) this was no long term help , as most non steroidal anti-inflammatory medication have long term side effect , plus will fail drugs tests , we asked about and got some great advise to alliterative medicine

We then were advised to try Cortaflexlink to cortaflex site which we did and she resumed her racing career with alot of success

I however now give her and fullstop Inflamex (see below)daily and they both wear BIO FLOW collar as they are 12 and 14 years old..but both still have there 1/2 hour of madness every night

Inflamex is a powerful anti inflammatory & pain killer with no known side effects should the product be used long term. An excellent product to relieve swelling around hocks, wrists etc. After a field test in the U.S.A. on its equestrian equivalent it was recorded to be equivalent to 1.5 to 2 grams of Phenylbutazone with results evident in 24 hours. The product came out the clear winner, in the trial, against many other products. (473ml lasts approx 3 months) think its about £15

Back