The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Are Whippets Good Pets

My whippet Blue is just over two now and I'm a complete convert to whippets - can't imagine having any other breed now. He is a thief though - his favourite things to steal are items of underwear :>

Seeing a whippet running is amazing to watch - I never tire of it and in the house he is just so lazy and cuddly - it makes them very easy dogs to share your home with. :huggles:

I don't think you'll ever regret choosing a whippet - as long as you are prepared for a bit of effort during the puppy stages but that goes for all dogs - good luck finding the perfect whippet for your sofa :luck:

Jill

if you want a loving dog then look no further they are absolute clowns you will never have another dull moment :clown:

dont shed much dont need to eat a huge amount to stay healthy and will take as much exercise as you want truly gorgeous dogs and i wont have another breed ever btw i started off with 1 and have got 2 with 3 in the pipe line :teehee:

good luck i hope you find the special whippie friend you want soon :thumbsup:

Kendall is now 15 weeks and we would not be without him. He has fitted in with our lives fabulously and seeing him having a run on the fields is fantastic. He has been no trouble to housetrain and now goes to the door himself and whimpers, and he sleeps the whole night in his crate with no fuss at all 10.30 - 7pm. He is amazingly affectionate and very little trouble. He is a thief and a tissue shredder but thats just funny. He can be tiring when on a mad one zooming around and bouncing of the sofa's but that is just puppies for you. He is very easy to look after with his short coat, and is not a greedy dog. He is fine with my rabbit and guinea pigs, and the cat is definitely the boss over him - but she is the sort to stand her ground, and if he plays her up she gives him 'the look' followed by a quick swipe if he continues. He is currently in his bed by the radiator keeping warm!!!

Welcome, you have some great advice here :thumbsup:

So if you think a whippet (or 2!) is for you then go for it. John and I both agree Izzy is THE BEST thing that ever happened to us :huggles:

whippets.........born thieves..........born comedians...........full of love........so easy to forgive.......even the naughty moments are mainly for attention and cuddles..........have 2 ........set on this glorious path by a whippet cross.......got my 1st......and when she was 10 months got my 2nd and am now working on the hubby for my 3rd :teehee:

Whippets are the best ever - I've got two and wouldn't have any other breed. Fantastic in the house (never know there here after a walk :lol: ), great outdoors, adore cuddles, adore company and love being rugged up with their coats on :wub: You can of course easily spend all your money on them!!!!!

I have never crated my dogs but I know people do and on K9 they'll give you loads of smashing advice and you can decide what suits you and your new whippet ;)

I'm sure you will love them to absolute pieces, no question :thumbsup:

They are the best pets!

Daisy is a big sook, everyday she jumps on my lap and goes to sleep. This morning she jumped into my bed which is digusting but oh well. They don't shed too much, Daisy is white so as long as you dont hug her while wearing a black jumper you are normally fine :teehee: :teehee:

You are normally able to leave the alone though when they are puppies you might find a "wee accident" on the floor and they really love company. Daisy was always happy to use her crate.

So u should definitely buy a whippet asap (w00t)

my first dogs are whippets (see below) and my last dogs im sure will be whippets (with many many many in between, i hope)

one is definatly not enough, we went for one and came back with 2 :-

and im working on OH for no 3 (possibily 4) hahaha

be warned though, they come with a 3 addictions,

coats, collars and more whippets :wub: :wub:

you will need to buy an xtra big sofa if you dont want to sit on the floor, (and even then you will only get a tiny edge to sit on)

you will need to practice sleeping on your side on the very edge of your bed with very little covers.

and if you even consider ever using an eletric blanket, you might as well set up camp on the floor now.

you will also need to buy a safe where you can lock up your loo roll, if you ever want to be able to wipe your bum. (andrex got it all wrong, the ad should have had a whippet in it)

never ever ever leave any sort of food anywhere that isnt 6ft high, or in a sealed container, even if they have eaten a whole cow for their dinner, they will still jump at the opertunaty to steal your dinner sitting on the bunker, or to help themselfs to a packet of chrips by bursting open the mulitpack first, picking their fav flavour then enjoying it on your bed (under the covers) :rant:

apart for that, they will be your best dog, your best pet and your best friend :wub: :wub: :wub:

we laugh every day since we got our girls, they are so funny and although they drive us batty, cost us (me) a fortune, they are worth every penny, every scrap of toilet roll, every crumb you have to wipe from the bed, and everytime they come over to you for a big kiss, when you realise they have either rolled in poo or are eating it :x :x

god! I love my whippets :wub: :wub: :wub:

Back