The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice Wanted About Season

Angela#

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone on here can help me with regard to my bitch. She was due in season and although she has been swollen for 2 weeks nothing else has happened. She has a slight clear discharge but nothing else. I have heard it could be a "Silent Season" and just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. :- "

I have heard about bitches that their (very experienced) owners did not realise were in season, despite waiting for them to come and checking them daily. The first sign that she is in season being the fact that she is tied to a dog (w00t) :oops: . Often not the one intended. I thought that what was called "silent season".

I had bitches that would start enlarging weeks before they'd show colour, although they would get even bigger later. On the other hand, my Genevieve started to have red discharge without getting even slightly enlarged, I only realised she was in season when i saw her licking herself rather intensely, I looked, did not think anything is happening, but as i already had the tissue in hand I just wiped her anyway. Luckily :) .

I bet your girl will start bleeding properly soon, count her season from that day. In meanwhile press white tissue to her private parts daily, or even twice a day. :thumbsup: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot it wouldn't matter normally but I wanted to mate her this season - it's just as if if she knows :b

My saluki lurcher had seasons similar to this. In her case, these seasons became very regular and were followed with sort of light phantom pregnancies. This turned into a more or less perpetual cycle, with the accompanying behaviours, which must have been absolute misery for her. I did try herbal remedies, but to no effect. She then started to get mammary lumps and I followed the vet' s advice to have her spayed whilst she was anaesthetised to have the lumps removed. This was followed by several more operations to have more lumps removed. Happily, there have been no more lumps since january (fingers crossed) and obviously no more seasons. Although I do not blindly follow the vet' s advice (and strongly disagree on the matter of feeding), in the future, I will follow advice to spay bitches before the third season. My view is that you will have a very good idea of whether a bitch is special enough to consider breeding from by the time she reaches that age. I hope nothing like this happens to your girl.

Were her previous seasons "normal"? I have been finally converted to the Raspberry Leaf, gave to Callista in the last few weeks of pregnancy, and she spat the pups, all seven in 2.5 hours. Some people suggest that it is a good idea to give even before conception. I got my daughter, who is planning to get pregnant, to take Raspberry Leaf tablets.

raspberry leaf

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Our 19 month old bitch shows no sign of having her first season. Has anyone else had a similar experience with whippet bitches? Her dam had her first season at 11 months. We also have another bitch who seems to come into season every 4 months but only for about a week.Regards, Stephen

i have whippet lurcher bitch who had never shown a season in 4 yrs, no dogs had even shown an interst so i was never planning to breed her as imo if a bitch doesnt show true seasons by that time then something isnt right and should never be bred from? well my italian boy had other ideas and scaled a 6ft fence to mate her whilst my mum was dog sitting :b :oops: at 7 weeks into pregancy she was showing no signs of pregancy either and we travelled almost 150 miles to race at a show!!! 2 weeks after that she dropped me 9 healthy babies!!!!!! (w00t) the last 10 days though she looked like she would explode!!!

however i would never breed from her again even though she has now regulated her seasons :thumbsup:

stephen mason said:
Our 19 month old bitch shows no sign of having her first season. Has anyone else had a similar experience with whippet bitches? Her dam had her first season at 11 months. We also have another bitch who seems to come into season every 4 months but only for about a week.Regards, Stephen
My Callista had her first season at 23 months! And the second nine months later. Her mum and grandmother came at about 14 months. I have heard of bitches coming into season for the first time at almost 2.5 years. I have also heard about a bitch coming in season early and then every few months, her owner tried to mate her, she missed 3x after being mated to a well known sire, I believe she was mated once or twice more after that, but as far as I know there were never any pups. :unsure:

Back