The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice On Whippet Behaviour Please.

danstunes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

My Whippet Greyhound cross Archie has just reached 12 months.

He's a great dog and i'm very lucky that he's responsive to training/games and has a calm yet sociable character.

I take him on daily walks on and off the lead to one of three different nature reserves/woodland parks in my area to insure plenty of exercise and a content dog.

Here's the problem......

The park that I frequent the most (because it's near enough to walk to) is in a city area and therefore has litter bins at every entrance.

Recently Archie has worked out that there are often fast food wrappers etc in them and now makes it his main aim when in the park, to check each one thoroughly for scraps.

It all came to a head a a few weeks ago when not only did he run over to the bin but also decided to go through the gate, over the road and back again in about five seconds. He's done the same thing again twice since.

I never chase or recall him in an angry voice when he does this and when he does eventually come back, I praise him for the recall. I do however put him straight back on the lead and swiftly go home.

I appreciate that when reading this, it simply sounds like he's not under control, which I have to admit, at that moment he's clearly not. The rest of the time however, his behaviour, responsiveness to commands/recall etc is impressive for his age and breed.

My current solution to the problem has been to stop taking him to that particular park and jump in the car and take him to the two much nicer woodland/country parks 15 mins away.

Obviously I still want to be able to take him to my local park too, but at the moment fear for his safety.

I'd really like to hear people's thoughts on what they would do in this situation? Or better still a method of training him not to do it.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

You could try taking a pocket load of sausages with you and recall him regularly for a treat to reinforce your recall. Perhaps using your judgement, you could do this as part of a game and pop him on the lead when close to the bins, that way you are in control and less tempted to get cross when he turns a deaf ear to you. I have a bitch here ho is a total bin hoker, so I know it can be so frustrating. :luck:

at the end of the day its better to be safe than sorry take him away from the local and train more if you can, its still a young dog so keep the training up..

Yep, I think you're right. Just keep up the training I guess and avoid that park for a while at least.

Thank you for both your replies.

Dan.

Back