The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice on exercising an older dog

Juliatee

Registered
Reaction score
I have a twelve year old field spaniel bitch. I am concerned as to how much exercise to give her as lately she has become slower and finds the hills where I live (and unavoidable) hard work. She has no arthritis ,eats and drinks normally, poo and pee ok and is up for a short romp with the younger dogs around her. I give her 15 to 20 minutes walk first thing Nd then anything from 1 to three miles max in the afternoons depending on weather conditions. Being black she finds the heat hard going and I obviously avoid this but carry a cool coat if I get caught out

Every now and then, about 3 to 4 times a day she does a hard dry cough - could this be the first signs of heart failure.?

I would be grateful for any thoughts and advice,

Cheers,

Juliatee

We have a nearly 16 year old lab. She started having a similar cough and panting a lot more than usually, this was a sign of a heart issue. If you are concerned it may be best to take her to the vet just to check, it could be nothing but it might put your mind at ease.

If she is otherwise in good health there shouldn't be an issue with your routine, maybe just take the evening walk a little easier. We have had to cut walking time down rather than distance due to the heart issue, although she would go until she dropped!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our old lady who died 1 year ago at 14 years (a working type cocker) had a grade 3/4 murmur . She came on all the same walks as our other dogs and hunted a small copse most days (small enough to find her if anything happened ! )

We never stopped her doing anything that she wanted to do other than hunt out of our sight.

I kept her weight down so as not to put any strain on her poor old heart and if she wanted to take her time for any reason we would just slow our walk down for her so that she could catch up again.

Our old lady did not have a cough.

The day she died had been perfectly normal ! Oh how I miss her.

I think it is well worth you taking a visit to the vet and getting your old lady checked over.

Thank you both. I had it in mind to take her to the vet anyway but thought it would be interesting to hear other people's experiences.

Juliatee

Hi juliatee, hope are you, I have now had to limit brackens walks he is 15, although he would still walk longer, he doesn't realise he is ill, but I was finding after longer walks he would drink so much then be sick. So limited to 3 smaller walks now.

Back