The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice Needed

allypally

Registered
Reaction score
hi hope someone can help my son he has a young saluki x whippet who is kenneled outside ,the kennels are draught proof and he has a padded bed the weather is so cold here at the moment and were wondering wether to put a coat on at night any thoughts please :cheers:

im not sure on that one ally :unsure: could be a worry if the dog gets all caught up in the coat....or may even chew it off if it doesnt usually wear one..

depends on the dog i suppose :thumbsup:

peppermint lady said:
im not sure on that one ally :unsure:   could be a worry if the dog gets all caught up in the coat....or may even chew it off if it doesnt usually wear one..depends on the dog i suppose :thumbsup:

thanks julie i,m probably being soft but forecast minus 10

dogs have fur for a reason!!! my dogs are kennaled outdoors and are ok!! jus put some dry beddin in the kennel an it ul be fine!!! :))

allypally said:
hi hope someone can help my son he has a young saluki x whippet who is kenneled outside ,the kennels are draught proof and he has a padded bed the weather is so cold here at the moment and were wondering wether to put a coat on at night any thoughts please :cheers:
All my lurchers have kennel coats for very cold weather made by G&D Taylor of Woodlands(www.woodlandspetproducts.co.uk) :thumbsup:

dtmc1979 said:
dogs have fur for a reason!!! my dogs are kennaled outdoors and are ok!! jus put some dry beddin in the kennel an it ul be fine!!!  :))
If it's taken more from the whippet side

it wont have much fur will it !

My elderly whippets wear fleece coats in the house at night (w00t)

Hula said:
My elderly whippets wear fleece coats in the house at night  (w00t)
the best coat for a dog is the one it was born with why wrap them up and treat them like babies. do u put coats on them when out working them no u dont.as long as there kennel is dry and draught proof they are fine. coats on in the house ive never heard of that one.

My dogs are aged 12 , 13 and 15 and they feel the cold . Maybe the fact that they are so well looked after is why they are not on any medication despite their ages and they are never at the vet ;)

Prevention is better than cure.

My oldest GH got a chill last year and he laid about for about a week, I mean more than he normally does, didn't eat much, didn't want to know much.

Most other dog breeds either have fur, fat, or both. GH/lurcher/whippet don't.

The bit I hate about coats, mine need them walking to the walk, but once they are running I'm stuck holding the 3 coats. :(

For me it would all depend on the breed - a husky at -10? Naaaah, that's the summer for them!

A whippet x saluki? Neither breed famed for its thick undercoat, at -10 I'd definitely put a coat on :thumbsup:

Whether I'd put a coat on to work a dog is a red herring. A running/working dog will be raising its core temperature through the exercise - a sleeping dog won't.

Tomorrow on the allotment I have a bed to dig - while I am digging a jumper will do me fine - when I stop for a cuppa I expect I will need to put a fleece on :thumbsup:

Back