The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Advice Needed Please - Scared Dog

flyballcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. Just over 4 weeks ago i rescued a saluki cross from GLWR and she has been wonderfull she is under a year old and has fitted in with my other two like a dream :)

Angel has bonded with me and my son but anyone who comes into the house she goes and hides behind me or runs and hides upstairs and wets herself :( i really feel for her she either has been badly treated in her short life or hasn't been socilised at all I know that Saluki's can be warry of strangers.

On walks she is happy to go of in front (shes on a flexie) and play bows at my other two dogs but if she sees of hears people shes on edge and hides behide me i do ignore the behaviour and praise her after they have gone by but this isn't working today someone came out of the bushes and she nearly triped me up :eek: if Angel would have got lose their would be no way of catching her as she is so frighten. :(

Angel is fine with noises in and out of the house its just people.

any help would be greatly recieved :thumbsup:

angelb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No real advise I am afraid just wanted to say Angel is a real beauty and I am sure with lots of TLC she will be fine. :luck:

Thanks :cheers: I'm sure she will come round soon too just wanted to see if anyone could suggest anything too help her.

Maybe getting people to feed her tasty treats might help?

oh my lord she is beautiful. :wub:

sorry no advice here :b but im sure there will be someone who can help you

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

We had one that used to be scared of strange men ......It sounds mad but when people came to our house we (the owners) acted very light and care free ....When the dog wet himself we ignored it ...... We welcomed EVERYONE who knocked on our door in very happy voices (even if they were door to door sales men :D ) ..........

As for ......

and praise her after they have gone by but this isn't working

This won't work ....In fairness you are praising her for her scared behaviour .....You're telling her its fine to be scared .....You are right to ignore her when she hides behind you, but now you need to find people who will stand there and chat to you for a while .....She needs to see that you are very comfortable and trusting in meeting people ..... Some of the Bach flower remedies should help ....Rescue remedy and Aspen are great :thumbsup: ......Please feel free to email me if you want :luck: ....Hannah.

It's early days yet so I shouldn't worry too much, I'm sure she will come round. Salukis can be quite aloof with strangers anyway, so she may never be a dog who will run up to visitors looking for a fuss.

When people visit I'd get them ignore her unless she approaches them - try to get them to avoid even eye contact as that can be very threatening. She needs to feel she's not under any pressure to do anything and can take her own time. If she prefers to stay out of the way then fine.

If she's food oriented getting visitors to throw treats in her direction can work wonders. Still no attempt to coax her or make eye contact, just casually throw something tasty in her direction every now and again. If she starts to seem more confident shorten the distance but push it or don't take her outside her comfort zone.

She is very gorgeous :wub: Wishing you loads of luck with her :luck:

Years ago I had a nervous GSD and because we lived in a remote area he didn't see too many people, so I used to take him off to the local high street (not a huge bustling high street!), sit myself on a bench, read the paper and ignore him and everyone who walked past. Gradually he relaxed and learnt to ignore them as well. Dogs pick up on our body language so try not to tense up when you see someone out walking. I agree with the other posts about getting people to ignore her and maybe throw a titbit. Perhaps in a while a dog training class may help? Good luck, she's beautiful.

Just thought i would do an update on Angel and ask for more advise :))

Angel is coming round slowly but my main concern is that we are of on holiday in June and would like to take Angel with the other dogs to beaches and stuff but if anyone is walking near by she panics :( the more i try to control the panic with her lead the worse she gets i try to keep the lead slack but its hard when she is trying to twist and turn to get away :( I was thinking of getting some DAP spray and put this on a bandana to see if this helps but i still don't know how to best deal with her when she gets in a panic she loves her walks :))

any suggestions would be good thanks :cheers:

What a sad situation.

Wonderful that Angel has a kind home AND dogs at home who will probably give her confidence as time goes on.

I go with Fee Fee, in that Saluki's are naturally aloof even when they have had good upbringing, but one who may have been abused, will most likely never be totally at ease with strangers.

In the house, it would definitely be preferable to let her make any approach to visitors, and as has already been suggested - they might give her a morsel to eat if she is intersted, once she has gone up to them./

No eye contact - just gentle voices and talking to the other dogs.

Re you holiday plan in June - that is awfully soon to expect a huge improvement, but I see from your pic that you have a halter, and that might be the best/safest for the time being, as a scared dog will wriggle out of a collar which is comfortable.

I have never found those DAP diffusers any good, but others may have success stories.

Two things I can suggest - one is Anxiety drops which you can most likely get from your vet.... I have had success with this.... (hope the link works) http://www.viovet.co.uk/Non-Prescription_M...oduct_info.html

The other... which would be useful in the house... is something called Anxiety Wrap

http://www.agilitynet.com/reviews/anxietyw...rialpowman.html - again, I have had great success with this.

I am sure, given time, that you will have some success with Angel but I do believe she may have to have the flexi lead on for some considerable time.

She is lucky indeed to have found you - I hope your others will give her the confidence she so needs.

flyballcrazy said:
Just thought i would do an update on Angel and ask for more advise :))
Angel is coming round slowly but my main concern is that we are of on holiday in June and would like to take Angel with the other dogs to beaches and stuff but if anyone is walking near by she panics :( the more i try to control the panic with her lead the worse she gets i try to keep the lead slack but its hard when she is trying to twist and turn to get away :(   I was thinking of getting some DAP spray and put this on a bandana to see if this helps but i still don't know how to best deal with her when she gets in a panic she loves her walks :))

any suggestions would be good thanks :cheers:

Back