The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Adopting An Unwanted Dog...

snapdogs

Registered
Reaction score
HI EVERYONE.....

WELL HOME-CHECK OVER, WE WILL BE COLLECTING SOPHIE AS SHE IS CALLED AT THE MOMENT... ON SATURDAY!

BUT SOPHIE WAS THE NAME GIVEN TO HER BY THE OWNERS WHO DISCARDED HER LIKE A PIECE OF RUBBISH........ :rant: :rant:

SATURDAY IS A NEW BEGINING! :huggles:

SHE WAS RESCUED BY 'MANY TEARS RESCUE' IN WALES, ON THE 22-12-05. AND THIS PHOTO WAS TAKEN ON THE DAY OF HER ARRIVAL, SHE COULD'NT EVEN HOLD HER OWN HEAD UP!

http://www.freewebs.com/manytearsrescue/do...ingforhomes.htm

WE OFFERED HER A NEW HOME ON THE 24-12-05...

SHE IS A COCKER X... POSS WITH COLLIE?

SHE IS ABOUT 1 YEAR OLD IS MOSTLY WHITE....

AT THE MOMENT WE HAVE 4 WHIPPETS... MY HUSBAND SHORTENS ALL NAMES... I AM DAWN, HE CALLS ME DAW!

HE ALSO ADDS Y's ONTO ALL THE DOGS NAMES SO:

WE HAVE -

CASH = CA - CASHY

CHASE = CHA - CHASY

PUZZLE = PUZ - PUZZY

BREEZE = BRE - BREEZY

SO WHAT SUGGESTIONS CAN YOU ALL MAKE....

INDEED DO YOU THINKS IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO CHANGE HER NAME?

DO YOU THINK IT SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS SIMILAR, TO HER NAME NOW?

I REALLY WANT TO CHANGE IT, BECAUSE IT WOULD CONSTANTLY REMIND ME OF THE PEOPLE WHO TREATED SHE SO BADLY.. ALTHOUGH IT IS QUITE A NICE NAME, IT's A PEOPLE NAME!!! NONE OF OUR DOGS ARE GIVEN HUMAN NAMES....

SO THINKING CAPS ON....

I WILL POST AN UP TO DATE PHOTO ON SUNDAY... ALONG WITH HER NEW NAME!

THANKS IN ADVANCE.....

DAWN - OR DAW - OR DAWNY... NO I DRAW THE LINE AT THAT ONE!

sophie.jpg

How exciting, and how wonderful of you to offer her such a happy new life :thumbsup: :thumbsup: - well done Dawny!!! :- " :p :thumbsup:

My last rescue dog was called Lady, - I changed her name to Solo which she learned in a few days and never answered to Lady again. :lol: I think it's a really good idea to change the name as she may have some very negative associations with the word Sophie, which may have been used in anger against her. :( :(

Often the new name just comes into your head when you see her - and it fits just right - Solo was so-called because she had enormous ears that flapped like wings when she was running so she looked as if she were 'flying solo'! :lol: She also liked to yodel (singing solo) and she was a total one-off, so her name fitted her just right! o:) :wub:

:luck: :luck: Very best of luck with her, what ever you call her! :luck: :luck:

as sweet and calm and gentle as she is, i'd call her serena :b having survived that and STILL have trust in people....what a special girl she is :luck:

What about Winner......shortend to Win

Because she is :wub: :thumbsup:

Well done you for giving a wonderful home to her - she is a very pretty girl and I hope you have loads of luck and fun with her once she has settled in to her new life with you. As to names, how about Lucky, Callie, Sollie as they have the "y" ending already!!

She looks like a Bella to me or Angel as she mostly white:wub: Gorgeous dog and her name should be pretty and feminine :wub:

PS When I look at that picture the name FLOELLA comes into my head - don't know where from, it just did!! :) :* :huggles:

(and your OH could call her Flo or Elly!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Zephyr said:
PS    When I look at that picture the name FLOELLA comes into my head - don't know where from, it just did!! :)   :*   :huggles:
(and your OH could call her Flo or Elly!! :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup: )

Have you been on the cooking sherry?

How about

"Isn't that the most absolutely, gorgeous doggie face you have ever seen""

Too long, thought so, thinking cap back on.

Jenny

ps I think I know your husband, is he called Colin, or as I know him Col !!!

Chances are she doesn't even know that her name is Sophie so changing it shouldn't be a problem. Anyone who can leave an animal to starve to death in an empty flat wouldn't bother teaching her her name! :angry: :rant: :rant:

Well done you for taking her on and I hope it works out well for all of you. :luck: :luck: :thumbsup: She looks a real sweetie! :wub: :wub:

I was going to suggest Grace, as in "there but for the grace of God" etc. Lots of possibilities in that name for your husband to muck about with! :lol:

quintessence said:
How about
"Isn't that the most absolutely, gorgeous doggie face you have ever seen""

Too long, thought so, thinking cap back on.

Jenny

ps I think I know your husband, is he called Colin, or as I know him Col  !!!

HE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

COL DOES NOT LIKE COLIN....

CAN YOU PUT A FACE TO THE NAME???? YOUR'S I MEAN!

Zephyr said:
How exciting, and how wonderful of you to offer her such a happy new life :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   - well done Dawny!!! :- "  :p   :thumbsup:
My last rescue dog was called Lady, - I changed her name to Solo which she learned in a few days and never answered to Lady again. :lol:   I think it's a really good idea to change the name as she may have some very negative associations with the word Sophie, which may have been used in anger against her. :(   :(

Often the new name just comes into your head when you see her - and it fits just right - Solo was so-called because she had enormous ears that flapped like wings when she was running so she looked as if she were 'flying solo'! :lol:   She also liked to yodel (singing solo) and she was a total one-off, so her name fitted her just right! o:)   :wub:

:luck:   :luck: Very best of luck with her, what ever you call her! :luck:   :luck:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh knew someone would do it!!!!!!!!!! :oops: should have kept Dawny quiet.... stupid me!

snapdogs said:
Zephyr said:
How exciting, and how wonderful of you to offer her such a happy new life :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:   - well done Dawny!!! :- "  :p   :thumbsup:
My last rescue dog was called Lady, - I changed her name to Solo which she learned in a few days and never answered to Lady again. :lol:    I think it's a really good idea to change the name as she may have some very negative associations with the word Sophie, which may have been used in anger against her. :(   :(

Often the new name just comes into your head when you see her - and it fits just right - Solo was so-called because she had enormous ears that flapped like wings when she was running so she looked as if she were 'flying solo'! :lol:    She also liked to yodel (singing solo) and she was a total one-off, so her name fitted her just right! o:)   :wub:

:luck:   :luck: Very best of luck with her, what ever you call her! :luck:   :luck:

these might not suit your dog but was recently asked to name another here are some we came up with:

widgit-the midgit-it was a small dog

askit-whats your dogs name....askit

assif

bess

snafu-navel term

fubar-another navel term

:b

but dont take advice from me lol-my dogs names include:Nifty, Bimbo and Bertha

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh knew someone would do it!!!!!!!!!! :oops: should have kept Dawny quiet.... stupid me!

Aww she's so sweet, and so lucky to have found you. We changed the names of both our rescues, Nana was originally called Bess (she was called this by her fosters as she had come from the pound and hadn't had it for very long so the change was easy) and Josephine was called Jess and as we already had Tess, things could have been VERY confusing :wacko:

Nana learnt her new name by the time we got home from Birmingham (about 1 1/2 hours) Josephine took about a day.

I do however really like the name Bess, it was a shame to change it, so that would be my choice.

I bet you can't wait!! Well done for getting a rescue, they make wonderful dogs.

I have had 59 foster dogs over the last 5 years, most of them came from the pound so we didn't know what they were called anyway. I picked a name for them and often when they got new homes, they wanted to change their name again - it never caused any problems at all, so go ahead!! Don't ask me for any suggestions though, I ran out of names a couple of years ago and it took me ages to come up with Fern and Sky for my youngest whippies, I have used all the names I like best for foster dogs, and I don't really like using them again!!

Awww, she looks lovely. What about SOLAR, then she would be So or So y to your OH not too different to Sophie.

Awww well done to you and Col she's lovely :wub: :wub: good luck :luck:

Back