The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

A stupid question....

Rae

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm sure this will seem like a stupid question to you all, :b but is theft more common amongst whippets/greyhouds/lurchers than other breeds of dog?

If so, why are they such popular targets?

We are collecting our new whippet puppy a week on Saturday :D , so do I need to worry? We also have a very handome lurcher too. (Although he is bald & castrated so perhaps not anyone else's first choice of dog :D )

Thanks,

Rae.

Hi Rae I was wondering the same thing you do seem to hear a lot of stories of lurchers and whippets being targeted, the only bad experience we've had is with "travellers" hassleing us and being a bit too interested for our liking luckily we were going back to the car and not the house because we certainly didn't want them knowing where we live.

Cheers

Steve

Top targets for thieves are currently all sighthounds (esp salukis and saluki x lurchers), Jack Russell and Border terriers, and gundogs especially labradors. In fact, labradors are most at risk in some areas. Border collies and bull terriers are also being taken.

Dog theft has become big business recently. Take great care of all your dogs, my friends. Microchip, ID tag and take photos from various angles showing any markings (remember to update them as the pup grows) which you will need if the worst happens.

What do they do with them then? Are they used for working?

We live in the middle of nowhere, but it seems as if it's not safe to leave the dogs in the garden, even if you are at home as it could only take a split second to loose them :angry:

Our 2 boys are chipped & have ID tags, like the rest of you I'm sure, we have boxes of photos of them, and we do intend to get the puppy chipped too when we get her. Thanks for the advice.

Rae.

Hi Rea

THe running dogs (Gryhounds/whippets ect) are taken for breeding off and working.

the Staffs, Borders, JRT's ect (terriers) are taken for working (Fox ect) and unfortunatly many are taken to train other fighting dogs with.

Rae said:
What do they do with them then? Are they used for working?
We live in the middle of nowhere, but it seems as if it's not safe to leave the dogs in the garden, even if you are at home as it could only take a split second to loose them  :angry:

Our 2 boys are chipped & have ID tags, like the rest of you I'm sure, we have boxes of photos of them, and we do intend to get the puppy chipped too when we get her. Thanks for the advice.

Rae.
A lot of the bigger running dogs are stolen for illegal coursing. Poaching if you prefer. These illegal coursing matches attract quite large numbers of people and the dogs are bet on. If the dogs are no good then they are simply left where they've run. Or if the dogs can't be caught. The dogs are stolen then run and then get dumped. They expendible.

Which is where the dog warden network comes in. Some areas such as Bedfordshire and across to the fens have a high number of 'dumped' lurchers turn up. This is also why you must have your dogs tattooed or micro-chipped or both.

Illegal coursing is a nasty business with landowners being intimidated into 'allowing' it to happen on their land.

Dogs like Saluki's and Saluki x's are also required for breeding. Although with many of the pure bred dogs a rather lucrative income can be made from stealing dogs and then being paid (finders reward) to return them. I've known of 4 figure sums being made in 24 hours. What you have to remember is that many traveller sites are no go areas for the police so even if you know your dog is on one they are unlikely to help you get it and unless you go mob handed they are not places that you should go on to.

Staffies and staffy types are stolen in large numbers and there is always the possibility that they've gone for dog fighting. Other breeds are also used for this their use being restricted to being used as rag dogs. That always has to be a consideration when fluffy toy breeds or even large guard dog types are stolen.

The gundog theft problem is of very long standing and is well known to the police.

Then there is this situation this happens quite a lot. The recent dog thefts in the Stroud area of Gloucestershire and also some in Bristol are happening for this reason. A happy conclusion for this Lab puppy and her owners.

LSOB 1557/10/F: …..FOUND!!!

Labrador-bitch (entire)

Smooth coated

Chocolate

One brown eye, one green eye

Microchipped

Wearing a tan collar with ID tag

Name is "Molly"

Stolen from: Winton, nr. Bournemouth, Dorset on 13/10/03

Circumstance of loss: Thief broke into Vauxhall Vectra car outside supermarket.

Early yesterday evening we were emotionally re-united with our dog. She was stolen from the car by a Junky apparently, sold on to another chap who then trawled through the Winton area trying to sell her on again. She was sold to a couple the same evening she was stolen.

With great tenacity and a little bit of luck and lots of help from great friends and family, she was found. Spotted by a local police dog trainer she was later re-united with her rightful owners.

Coming home she played in the garden like she had never been missing. But I know those 24 hours that she was gone were the longest most heartbreaking hours in our lives.

Is there anyway that you could warn people not to leave their dogs in the car, not even for a short while. The junky that stole her from the car sold her on for the rather paltry sum of £40.00 only. How sad that he broke all our hearts for such a measly amount.

This is a good ending to our story, never ever give up on finding your dog.

Thanks all for enlightening me.

Pretty grim stuff, but best to know about it so that we do all we can to prevent it from being our own dogs.

It must be absolutely heart breaking for the owners of dogs who are stolen.

There seems a be a different emphasis now in the stolen dog scene, at least concerning the small fluffies. They are mainly being taken for resale or held for ransom, which does at least mean there is some chance of getting them back.

BeeJay said:
Is there anyway that you could warn people not to leave their dogs in the car, not even for a short while.  The junky that stole her from the car sold her on for the rather paltry sum of £40.00 only.  How sad that he broke all our hearts for such a measly amount.
This is a good ending to our story, never ever give up on finding your dog.
Oh no I take mine everywhere with me and often sleeps in the back of the car while I'm shopping or out and about. I also live in Befordshire, so this is now a real concern. I don't like chipping but that's just me, perhaps I should reconsider this.

Would it be safer to leave at home?

I don't like chipping either but have changed my mind now.

Dogs are unfortunately now vulnerable everywhere, but probably more so to opportunistic rather than planned theft if they are on view in the car. Gardens and kennels seem to be a hot spot for planned theft.

Phebe

Back