The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

A Couple Of Newbie Questions

HopeRosie

Registered
Reaction score
Okay this may sound like a daft question - but Ive searched the internet on this one and cant find any info. Why do sighthounds wear fishtail collars - ie wider collars, and what are the purpose of tassels?

The other question is - in keeping Whippets happy, do they like things like flyball or 'fetch' - having got a Cavalier - who's idea of fetch was 'bring the bowl of food here where Im sleeping mum' Id love a dog that would enjoy a good game of dog frisbee or fetch the ball? Do Whippets enjoy things like that as Im not sure if Im going to get 'into' racing.

Thankyou

x

i think the main reason whippet/greyhounds ect have fish neck collars is because they have slender necks, so helps to distribute the pressure :thumbsup: (me thinks) :unsure:

and yes like other dogs they do love to play, run after a ball :sweating: , but i think it very much depends on the dog, as in all breeds it the individual, some play more than others :cheers:

yes you must come racing, its a great day out for all the family :thumbsup:

Last edited:
leaping.jpg

Yep, whippets sure do like frisbees!

Whippets can do just about anything they like, mine have done Good Citzien training, they both race and love it, one enjoys agility, one will play fetch as long as you keep throwing the ball, the other likes to rag with a bit of chasing a ball, if ever there is some lure coursing near us we will give that ago too :D So give everything a try and see what floats their boat

Just to say you could try club racing coz its good fun :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The tassles are only there to look fancy!

As for what do they like doing - mine love their toys (raggers, chews, teddy's) and Logie loves chasing and fetching a ball for me. I've not tried a frisbee, but think he would love it.

I take mine to ringcraft classes and am thinking about doing obedience with Logan as he is quite willing to please his Mummy.

Their favourite pastime though is most definitely snoozing on the sofa! :huggles: :lol:

Gypsy wont play with a tennis ball, but loves the big football (even now that it is flat!!)

she also loves the frisbee, but wont bring it back!!!!!!!!!!! so you have to walk the length of the park to get it back while she lies on the grass looking at you :- "

i thought the wide collars were to protect the wind pipe from bein damaged? whippets can do anythin! if they want to..............................!

Yep it looks like they can turn their paws to anything then. Boothros I just love the pic of your dog mid frisbee catch - that deserves to be on a postcard or something - whats her name?. Ive seen floppy rubber dog frisbees as I should imagine that a proper one would cut their mouths. Having got two boys who love football and throwing balls, I should imagine that its going to be a good way of wearing them all out.

Ill never say never to racing,and I will go to watch at least once - after all I cant decide until Ive been can I :)) - but I think that something like flyball is more my thing.

As for the collar thing - so even puppies have to have wider than normal then to support their necks/protect their windpipe - Im not sure Ive seen any pup sized ones.

a lady called sue ward sells puppy collars il pm you her phone number if you want to call her she will post out to you :thumbsup:

I think i remember reading somewhere ( on here maybe ? ) that the tassels on whippets have come from salukis wearing tassels when they were in the deserts ( i think :blink: ) they wore them to waft the flies away from their eyes/nose apparently. Also for decoration purposes too :thumbsup: I think the Arabs horses used to be adorned with them too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HopeRosie said:
Yep it looks like they can turn their paws to anything then.  Boothros I just love the pic of your dog mid frisbee catch - that deserves to be on a postcard or something - whats her name?.  Ive seen floppy rubber dog frisbees as I should imagine that a proper one would cut their mouths. Having got two boys who love football and throwing balls, I should imagine that its going to be a good way of wearing them all out.
Ill never say never to racing,and I will go to watch at least once - after all I cant decide until Ive been can I  :))   - but I think that something like flyball is more my thing. 

As for the collar thing - so even puppies have to have wider than normal then to support their necks/protect their windpipe - Im not sure Ive seen any pup sized ones.

I used an ordinary puppy collar untill the puppies neck developed and we had a final sizing before we ordered a fish tail & it was fine.

The whippie is Jazz by the way HopeRosie and yes that is a rubber frisbee made by Kong. they dont fly as well, but the are SO much kinder on the mouth than the plastic ones. It has also lasted so much longer, well worth the money

(w00t) All four of my whippets adore chasing tennis balls. I even have a special stick for launching them across the field (you can buy the launcher in pet shops). They keep it up until they all collapse exhausted with their tongues hanging out for dear life... they love it!!

Even my rickety, shoogly 13yr old whippet will get up a good trot after a ball.

But they don't bring them back so we have a labrador trained to do that :lol: :lol:

My boy Badger just loves fetch and will play for hours, have never done agility but know two ped . pups by him are quite good and in a team and people ring up for the sheepdog x by him purposely for agil. :D

troy.JPG

Back